Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

I actually had to ask some of my online friends who are of the elderly age or in hospital care due to debilitating illnesses that would keep them from getting out to vote or get ID. Interestingly enough it seems that people who are hospitalized in special care facilities are helped to vote by the facility who will help them get absentee ballots or will bus those who can stand to wait on line to the local voting place, and help them to maintain their IDs for the purposes that thy will need them for.

Maybe all do not do this, but it seems many will even if they are cheap run places that rely on state money to help those who are poor.

Try going into the ghettos and asking the deeply disenfranchised the same questions.

I actually had to ask some of my online friends who are of the elderly age or in hospital care due to debilitating illnesses that would keep them from getting out to vote or get ID. Interestingly enough it seems that people who are hospitalized in special care facilities are helped to vote by the facility who will help them get absentee ballots or will bus those who can stand to wait on line to the local voting place, and help them to maintain their IDs for the purposes that thy will need them for.

Maybe all do not do this, but it seems many will even if they are cheap run places that rely on state money to help those who are poor.

That morning, Cooper slipped a rent receipt, a copy of her lease, her voter registration card and her birth certificate into a Manila envelope. Typewritten on the birth certificate was her maiden name, Dorothy Alexander.

"But I didn't have my marriage certificate," Cooper said Tuesday afternoon, and that was the reason the clerk said she was denied a free voter ID at the Cherokee Boulevard Driver Service Center.

96-year-old Chattanooga resident denied voting ID | timesfreepress.com

Something tells me that though tehre are those willing to help, getting all the paperwork required for the state worker not to deny the request might just be more than people realize.

Applewhite said she has voted in every election since she voted for John F. Kennedy in 1962, but this year, Pennsylvania’s harsh new voter ID law means that she and the others who have no government issued photo ID will be unable to cast a ballot this fall. She has been named as the plaintiff in a suit brought against the state by the NAACP and the ACLU.

Ms. Applewhite has tried for years to obtain a photo ID, but to no avail

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/08/93-year-old-woman-suing-pennsylvania-over-voter-id-law/

Last edited:
And as I'm pretty sure everybody here knows - not everybody who is eligible to vote and may be disenfranchised is on SS, SSD or SSI.

In other words, there is not enough voter fraud to justify this shit.

Any voter fraud in enough...Get a clue

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bbbXXkRG74]Voter Fraud in NH Primary - YouTube[/ame]

And as I'm pretty sure everybody here knows - not everybody who is eligible to vote and may be disenfranchised is on SS, SSD or SSI.

In other words, there is not enough voter fraud to justify this shit.

Any voter fraud in enough...Get a clue

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bbbXXkRG74]Voter Fraud in NH Primary - YouTube[/ame]

Yes , 1 case of voter fraud means throwing thousands of legal citizens off the voting rolls and denying them the priviledge of voting.

Have you ever considered that fishing with dynamite might just be overkill? or is that concept completely lost to you?

Try going into the ghettos and asking the deeply disenfranchised the same questions.

Angry and bitter is no excuse for not keeping a valid ID

Much of your posts I enjoy - but not this one. Do some more credible research...

You are telling us there are supposed road blocks that stop people from getting their state ID. I don't see any roadblocks. Even the site you pointed out does not show that any of those people cannot get ID.

There is nothing I know of that stops a legal US citizen from getting a state ID. In SC I can do it in an hour. If the DMV is not active i can do it in a lot less than that. Yes, i actually have to reside in the state, but there is no stopping me. If they can do that in the back woods of SC then they can do it anywhere. They certainly were not stopping blacks, poor, or hispanics from doing it. Hell they even had multilingual agents for people who do not speak english to help them fill out the forms.

Oh, and don't think liking some of the things I say will make me overlook poorly supported bullshit arguments. You have not posted a single reason aside from lazy that people cannot get an ID.

Many many moons ago, I was living in downtown Minneapolis. The nearest DMV ( the only place to get a state ID at the time ) was a three hour bus ride away. I worked every morning and went to school every night monday through friday. There was absolutely no time for me to go get my state issued ID. I went without one for nearly two years.

That being said...

Get out the vote drives could always change their tactics and start driving people to where they need to get the IDs. Yes voter ID will make it harder to vote, Yes, its a tactic being used by the NeoCons to disenfranchise voters that will most likely NOT vote for them, that doesnt mean we should whine about it and pretend the solution isnt damned easy to see.

Yes, life is inconvenient when you use mass transit. I just want to know how you got a decent job and identified yourself to a school without ID. There was only 2 jobs I had that I did not have to show them my DL and SS card, one was for my father when I was under 18, and the other was off the books at a gas station working 3rd shift. Oh wait, make that 3 I worked as a pin jockey when i was 14 after school and i did not have a state ID issued yet. I don't know if i could even find a place today where they didn't want to see a picture ID. Even when i went to college I had to show my DL to people to get a school ID, and to verify my residence. It is even easy for me to register when I move because to switch my DL over to the state i move to they all allow me to register on the same application.

I will agree if it is a problem we are of the ability and technology we could set up something like a traveling state ID application area that would go from town to town and get people IDs, and could do it on weekends. With today's internet technology, and the small ID printers states have now you could easily travel and give out state IDs. You might even make some profit on it if you charged a couple of bucks considering all the people who could use one. 4 cheapo computers, a router, a DMV camera and printer, and a bluh backdrop and some ropes for a line and you are set. Given modern monitors I could carry the entire setup in my fusion, and aside from the printer i could do it for less than a grand for the equipment per mobile unit you wanted to set up. Hell, I am positive the state has the equipment sitting around collecting dust they could use, and if they don't I know companies that toss away that equipment daily.

Ahhh, but the republicans hate programs that help out the poor so they would never vote for it.

You are telling us there are supposed road blocks that stop people from getting their state ID. I don't see any roadblocks. Even the site you pointed out does not show that any of those people cannot get ID.

There is nothing I know of that stops a legal US citizen from getting a state ID. In SC I can do it in an hour. If the DMV is not active i can do it in a lot less than that. Yes, i actually have to reside in the state, but there is no stopping me. If they can do that in the back woods of SC then they can do it anywhere. They certainly were not stopping blacks, poor, or hispanics from doing it. Hell they even had multilingual agents for people who do not speak english to help them fill out the forms.

Oh, and don't think liking some of the things I say will make me overlook poorly supported bullshit arguments. You have not posted a single reason aside from lazy that people cannot get an ID.

Many many moons ago, I was living in downtown Minneapolis. The nearest DMV ( the only place to get a state ID at the time ) was a three hour bus ride away. I worked every morning and went to school every night monday through friday. There was absolutely no time for me to go get my state issued ID. I went without one for nearly two years.

That being said...

Get out the vote drives could always change their tactics and start driving people to where they need to get the IDs. Yes voter ID will make it harder to vote, Yes, its a tactic being used by the NeoCons to disenfranchise voters that will most likely NOT vote for them, that doesnt mean we should whine about it and pretend the solution isnt damned easy to see.

Yes, life is inconvenient when you use mass transit. I just want to know how you got a decent job and identified yourself to a school without ID. There was only 2 jobs I had that I did not have to show them my DL and SS card, one was for my father when I was under 18, and the other was off the books at a gas station working 3rd shift. Oh wait, make that 3 I worked as a pin jockey when i was 14 after school and i did not have a state ID issued yet. I don't know if i could even find a place today where they didn't want to see a picture ID. Even when i went to college I had to show my DL to people to get a school ID, and to verify my residence. It is even easy for me to register when I move because to switch my DL over to the state i move to they all allow me to register on the same application.

I will agree if it is a problem we are of the ability and technology we could set up something like a traveling state ID application area that would go from town to town and get people IDs, and could do it on weekends. With today's internet technology, and the small ID printers states have now you could easily travel and give out state IDs. You might even make some profit on it if you charged a couple of bucks considering all the people who could use one. 4 cheapo computers, a router, a DMV camera and printer, and a bluh backdrop and some ropes for a line and you are set. Given modern monitors I could carry the entire setup in my fusion, and aside from the printer i could do it for less than a grand for the equipment per mobile unit you wanted to set up. Hell, I am positive the state has the equipment sitting around collecting dust they could use, and if they don't I know companies that toss away that equipment daily.

Ahhh, but the republicans hate programs that help out the poor so they would never vote for it.

I was from out of state. So my Missouri Drivers Liscence was acceptable to the school and for employment and cashing checks and the banks. But obviously not to vote...and one bar for some reason.

So give the Poor Free ID's Problem Solved. Yet I bet Holder is still Opposed because what he really wants is for Illegal aliens to be able to vote for Democrats in elections. Period.

I am pretty sure that is already done.

Then what are they Basing the Claim that it will disenfranchise Poor Voters on? If they can Get a Free ID to Vote with, How is it a So Called Poll Tax to Require an ID to Vote? I am confused lol.

Clearly then the only thing they could then be worried about, Is people with out Proper Citizenship Documentation, Being Afraid to get an ID, to vote in election they are Probably not suppose to to be able to vote in, in the first place?

Oh wait, I Know the Problem, I am trying to make sense of a senseless Argument the Left makes when they claim Requiring and ID to Vote is Racist, and a Poll Tax.

If one uses Logic, It's pretty easy to Understand. Most Liberals I think if asked would say they think all the Illegals should be Citizens anyways. (note I am not saying I am Opposed to this - For those of you that love to Read into shit lol) So it's not a Leap to think they see no Problem with them being able to Vote in Elections right now, Because they feel like they Should be able to anyways. And we all know how liberals are when it comes to the ends justifying the Means.

so Anyways, As I was saying if you use logic. when you look at this Debate it's is pretty hard not to conclude that the Forces on the left Driving this Fight are not actually worried about People not being able to afford an ID, They are worried that these laws will work, and Illegals will be stopped from Voting.

Here is a Link I found in My state from the State how some people can Qualify for a Free State ID card.

http://www.annarborcil.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/State-ID-Booklet-Final-2010.pdf

If I were the GOP House I would Immediately Pass a Bill that Both Requires ID to Vote nation Wide, and Provides for Free, an ID to anyone who can not afford one, Available upon Registering to Vote.

And send it to the Senate. Let them Table that. Like they do everything else. Then the lie of their Argument would be fully exposed for all to see.

Last edited:
So give the Poor Free ID's Problem Solved. Yet I bet Holder is still Opposed because what he really wants is for Illegal aliens to be able to vote for Democrats in elections. Period.

Then what are they Basing the Claim that it will disenfranchise Poor Voters on? If they can Get a Free ID to Vote with, How is it a So Called Poll Tax to Require an ID to Vote? I am confused lol.

Clearly then the only thing they could then be worried about, Is people with out Proper Citizenship Documentation, Being Afraid to get an ID, to vote in election they are Probably not suppose to to be able to vote in, in the first place?

Oh wait, I Know the Problem, I am trying to make sense of a senseless Argument the Left makes when they claim Requiring and ID to Vote is Racist, and a Poll Tax.

If one uses Logic, It's pretty easy to Understand. Most Liberals I think if asked would say they think all the Illegals should be Citizens anyways. (note I am not saying I am Opposed to this - For those of you that love to Read into shit lol) So it's not a Leap to think they see no Problem with them being able to Vote in Elections right now, Because they feel like they Should be able to anyways. And we all know how liberals are when it comes to the ends justifying the Means.

so Anyways, As I was saying if you use logic. when you look at this Debate it's is pretty hard not to conclude that the Forces on the left Driving this Fight are not actually worried about People not being able to afford an ID, They are worried that these laws will work, and Illegals will be stopped from Voting.

Here is a Link I found in My state from the State how some people can Qualify for a Free State ID card.

http://www.annarborcil.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/State-ID-Booklet-Final-2010.pdf

If I were the GOP House I would Immediately Pass a Bill that Both Requires ID to Vote nation Wide, and Provides for Free, an ID to anyone who can not afford one, Available upon Registering to Vote.

And send it to the Senate. Let them Table that. Like they do everything else. Then the lie of their Argument would be fully exposed for all to see.

I agree but youre basing this entire post in response to an unsubstantiated claim made by Sniperfire. Just saying.

By Jove, I think you've got something! :clap2:

I agree but youre basing this entire post in response to an unsubstantiated claim made by Sniperfire. Just saying.

No I am Based my last post on the General Argument that has been going on About Voter ID laws for years now. In which The Left says it will Disenfranchise the poor, and more Minorities are poor so they also claim people for Voter ID laws are Racists.

This one post, and claim are irrelevant to my argument, and Irrelevant to my Opinion that Eric Holder would still be opposed to Voter ID, even if you made it absolutely Free, and easy to get a ID for anyone who needed it.

just saying.

How do you feel about the Carter Center that monitors elections world wide?

I put this up in a new thread, but I'm going to throw this your way Lakhota. Right from President Carter believing in voter ID.

One Cherokee, One Vote … With Valid ID, Just like Post-Apartheid South Africa Requires
June 2, 2012 By Caafaan-u-ma

Who knew Cherokees+Elections could be trending hot regarding election integrity this year. The Carter Center, perhaps the most prestigious of the international election monitoring groups, founded by former President Jimmy Carter and former First Lady Rosalynn Carter, with 91 election monitoring experiences in 36 countries, which provides independent expert inspections of the integrity of voter registration and voting protocols around the world, recommended in 1999 that Cherokee voters provide Photo Identification to enhance trust in “the elections process of the Cherokee Nation.”

Cherokees, being dispersed through many states, need a reliable yet simple election protocol to capture as many legitimate blood-line Cherokees as determined by “Blue Card” tribal registration to vote, while barring opportunistic folks who just claim they are Cherokee without any proof, from voting in important Cherokee Nation elections.

And from the Carter Center::eusa_whistle: in freaking 1999.

The voter simply appears with the blue tribal registration card and a picture ID, casts a ballot and is logged into the system…. Key to this system is a method of ensuring the voter does not vote in several precincts …

… Converting the blue card into a permanent ID card would facilitate either of the above options.”

Over a freaking decade ago the Cherokee Nation got their shit together. You'll see at that link where S Africa and the Dominican Republic have it in their voting laws as well.

http://sonoranalliance.com/2012/06/...st-like-post-apartheid-south-africa-requires/

By Jove, I think you've got something! :clap2:

Problem is I am not the GOP and I have 0 Faith in the GOP to do anything that make sense at all.

No I am Based my last post on the General Argument that has been going on About Voter ID laws for years now. In which The Left says it will Disenfranchise the poor, and more Minorities are poor so they also claim people for Voter ID laws are Racists.

This one post, and claim are irrelevant to my argument, and Irrelevant to my Opinion that Eric Holder would still be opposed to Voter ID, even if you made it absolutely Free, and easy to get a ID for anyone who needed it.

just saying.

If voter ID ddisenfranchises the poor, how do they get welfare without ID?

Damned lolberal snivelers pushed to get "motor voter" laws, where you were registered (optionally?) to vote when you got a DL/ID.

Now they turn around and screech to high heaven that you show the ID that, in a lot of cases, got you registered to vote in the first place.

Folx...There's not reasoning with career crybabies.

just saying.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

As Ive stated before, I think the voter ID laws are designed to disenfranchise predominently Democratic voters, but the solution ( as you have pointed out ) is so easy that its a silly argument to have. Photo IDs are an essential part of our lives in tehse modern times. They are required for a vast majority of our daily lives so requiring them to vote seems appropriate.

I have never seen a program for free state IDs, but a state non-driver ID from the DMV which is your state photo ID is only a couple of dollars.

I am surprised the republicans are rallying around this because they have to know it fucks them on voter fraud also. Both sides do it, I am not stupid enough to think it is only one side.

But if it takes hate of Obama to have the republicans shoot themselves in the foot and make voter fraud harder on them, then go go Obama. I have to agree with the idea of having people identify themselves with a photo ID. It would also be good to get some computers into the voting areas so they can scan those IDs to make sure they correspond with state records. This would eliminate deceased voting, and make it really hard to forge IDs for voting purposes. I would imagine it would also make it much easier to catch people with fake IDs trying to vote, and we can charge them with a number of crimes including identity theft.

I am sorry a few people are too fucking lazy to get an ID, but they really need a kick in the ass to get with the program.

How young are you that you don't realize that Republicans having been trying to get voter I.D laws in place for the last ten years? It has nothing to do with Obama and everything to do with making sure that elections are fair.

Keep up the lies. Reps are not doing this to make anything fair. They commit voter fraud too, and this makes it harder for them. They simply want to do what they can to limit the poor who are most likely to vote for Obama from voting for him. If you really think the republicans are the party of honesty and truth you are the one who needs to step into reality.

Oh, and during the Bush years the only people worried about voter fraud were the dems, and we all know he won due to fraud in florida.

The Poor?..... you meant the ones who could give up 1 pack of smokes or 1 six pack in a whole YEAR to pay for a 5.00 Photo ID......... waaaahhhhhhhhh

By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and PETE YOST

HOUSTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday he opposes a new photo ID requirement in Texas elections because it would be harmful to minority voters.

In remarks to the NAACP in Houston, the attorney general said the Justice Department "will not allow political pretexts to disenfranchise American citizens of their most precious right."

Under the law passed in Texas, Holder said that "many of those without IDs would have to travel great distances to get them – and some would struggle to pay for the documents they might need to obtain them."

"We call those poll taxes," Holder added spontaneously, drawing applause as he moved away from the original text of his speech with a reference to a fee used in some Southern states after slavery's abolition to disenfranchise black people.

"I will not allow that to happen," he added.

More: Eric Holder: Voter ID Laws Are 'Poll Taxes'

figures you would post this crap

Figures. Holder Demands Journalists Show Photo ID to Get Into His NAACP Talk on Evils of Photo ID Laws
Posted by Jim Hoft on Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 5:59 PM
You just can’t make this stuff up.

Eric Holder gave a talk today at the annual NAACP conference in Houston. The far left Attorney General slammed the recent state voter ID laws. In order to cover the event as a journalist you had to show a photo ID.

SNIP:
NOTE: All media must present government-issued photo I.D. (such as a driver’s license) as well as valid media credentials. Members of the media must RSVP to receive press credentials athttp://action.naacp.org/page/s/registration. For security purposes, media check-in and equipment set up must be completed by 9:45 a.m. CDT for a 10:00 a.m. CDT security sweep. Once the security sweep is completed, additional media equipment will NOT be permitted to enter and swept equipment will NOT be permitted to exit. Press inquiries regarding logistics should be directed to REDACTED.

the rest at
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/

Forum List

Back