Enlisted combat pilots? The Air Force is launching a test that could lead to that.

Enlisted combat pilots? The Air Force is launching a test that could lead to that.

E3ZKWZIPRRGMPHKNUHHO5WYKDE.jpg

The Air Force is launching a new pilot training program that will include enlisted airmen — and could eventually lead to them flying combat aircraft.

Maj. Gen. Timothy Leahy, commander of the Second Air Force, said in a Nov. 30 email to his commanders that 15 officers and 5 enlisted airmen will be picked for the six-month pilot training program.

“Enlisted volunteers will be pioneers in innovating Air Force aviator recruitment, selection, and training processes by demonstrating the potential of non-college graduates to succeed in a rigorous pilot training environment,” Leahy wrote. “This program will provide data to [Air
Education and Training Command commander Lt. Gen. Steven Kwast] on the potential for enlisted members to train to fly modern combat aircraft.”

That's nothing new. The Army had enlisted pilots as far back as 1912. They had an entire group called the "flying sergeants" that graduated in 1942 and the majority went on to fly P-38's during the war. The USMC still had enlisted pilots flying combat in the Korean conflict.

These were poorly trained for the P-38 since they had no AC to train on the would directly get them ready for a P-38. We lost a lot of kids because of the poor P-38 training in the beginning. But those that lived became hot shot pilots. It was sad that the Pacific COs had to do the training that the students should have received in flight school. In the ETO, you got your P-38 ride and first combat at almost exactly the same time. Maybe this was just one of the reason why theP-38 was so successful in the PTO versus the ETO. The MTO took the extra time as well and the P-38 shined there as well.

I am unsure exactly when the change happened. But the Enlisted Pilots were given the choice of getting a degree (out for 4 and back in as Officer Candidates) or stop flying. I knew a couple of the old flying sgts that became flight engineers on C-124. During Korea, I was still pulling my Rosebud and Radio Flyer.

It is a very sad fact that the military brass always was well prepared to fight the last war, but terribly deficient in modern tactics. That is very true. Hub Zemke ran into that problem all of the time when he got back from his mission to the Soviet Union in 1940. The top brass just had a hard time believing what was going on in the skies over Russia.

E3ZKWZIPRRGMPHKNUHHO5WYKDE.jpg

The Air Force is launching a new pilot training program that will include enlisted airmen — and could eventually lead to them flying combat aircraft.

Maj. Gen. Timothy Leahy, commander of the Second Air Force, said in a Nov. 30 email to his commanders that 15 officers and 5 enlisted airmen will be picked for the six-month pilot training program.

“Enlisted volunteers will be pioneers in innovating Air Force aviator recruitment, selection, and training processes by demonstrating the potential of non-college graduates to succeed in a rigorous pilot training environment,” Leahy wrote. “This program will provide data to [Air
Education and Training Command commander Lt. Gen. Steven Kwast] on the potential for enlisted members to train to fly modern combat aircraft.”

That's nothing new. The Army had enlisted pilots as far back as 1912. They had an entire group called the "flying sergeants" that graduated in 1942 and the majority went on to fly P-38's during the war. The USMC still had enlisted pilots flying combat in the Korean conflict.

These were poorly trained for the P-38 since they had no AC to train on the would directly get them ready for a P-38. We lost a lot of kids because of the poor P-38 training in the beginning. But those that lived became hot shot pilots. It was sad that the Pacific COs had to do the training that the students should have received in flight school. In the ETO, you got your P-38 ride and first combat at almost exactly the same time. Maybe this was just one of the reason why theP-38 was so successful in the PTO versus the ETO. The MTO took the extra time as well and the P-38 shined there as well.

I am unsure exactly when the change happened. But the Enlisted Pilots were given the choice of getting a degree (out for 4 and back in as Officer Candidates) or stop flying. I knew a couple of the old flying sgts that became flight engineers on C-124. During Korea, I was still pulling my Rosebud and Radio Flyer.

It is a very sad fact that the military brass always was well prepared to fight the last war, but terribly deficient in modern tactics. That is very true. Hub Zemke ran into that problem all of the time when he got back from his mission to the Soviet Union in 1940. The top brass just had a hard time believing what was going on in the skies over Russia.

Or they could have their own idea on how to fight the next war and be completely wrong. We are getting bitten in the Ass in USAF because there are no more A-1s and A-7s left in the inventory or their equivalent. Now, they are scrambling to get that new replacement 40 years later. Italy recently took their A-7s out of service due to age. They loved that bird and can't find a decent replacement.

I have a funny lighthearted story about my dads service.

He enlisted out of ROTC and came in as an officer because he had a degree. He outranked guys there 20 years simply because he was an officer. But he wasn't into all that crap. He was like Hawkeye on MASH. These 20 year guys would walk up to him and salute and he'd been there a week. He'd just stick out his hand and say whats up. He would salute like Hawkeye, with like one finger and a nod of the head. He did his minimum time and got out. It was not his thing.

I don't think he "enlisted" out of ROTC. If he completed the program, he would have received a commission.

As someone who was enlisted and went through ROTC to get my commission, I find your father's attitude rather strange. It would be disrespectful to the traditions and order and discipline of the military for him to act the way you say he did. With respect to your father, if it was not his "thing", he never should have joined in the first place.

The officer-enlisted relationship is sometimes complicated. One of my daughter's best friends is enlisting in the Army while she is already an officer. That will change their relationship especially if they were to be stationed at the same post.

Like me, his Father didn't have a choice whether to go into the military or not. Actually, he could go to prison, flee to Canada or disppear somewhere in Idaho. Your silver spoon is showing. And your lack of history as well.'

I was a professional musician and entertainer. For twenty years I never quite fit in the Military. In fact, working just part time, I made many times what I did from the Military. The only reason they put up with me for so long was I could be given a square peg and a round hole and make it fit.

Why doesn't it?

I don't foresee many Enlisted qualifying for a Fighter Pilot slot. The Fighter Mafia won't allow that. I believe that both of us are honorary members of the Fighter Pilot Mafia.

Why put the restriction on them? If they are good enough to fly a fighter, why not let them?

Again, why are you refusing to address my comment about warrant officers?

The Navy determines what you fly long after choosing you to be a pilot. Marines get very few choices as most are helo pilots.

Navy, like the Marines and AF are all commisioned College Grad Officers who are flying fixed wing. While I think Fighters and Nuke Bomber Pilots should only be that, cargo planes and choppers are a different bird and enlisted should be able to handle it.

No. I think you stated that wrong. All Navy, Marine and Air Force pilots are commissioned officers, no matter what they fly. Very few Army pilots are commissioned officers. Why do you think pilots of fighters and bombers need a college degree to fly them?

The best pilots I have ever seen are the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment and they are almost all warrant officers.

I had a history degree and would have flown had I been physically qualified (bad eyes). Granted, I had been an aerospace engineering and computer science major before I had to change majors in order to graduate on time, but there is no specific degree requirements. You can be an English Lit major and be a pilot.

Remember when I talked about the Silver Spoon in the mouth versus the purple shaft up the rear? You had the silver spoon. Many are not that lucky. Me and another enlisted person was sent to the European War Games because we were very familiar with the game they were using. The Wing King tried to use us for training purposes but we never lost to his pilots unless a cheat factors was figured in. What we were was War Gamers who understood the game, russian tactics, navy tactics, army air tactics, Marine air tactics and AF tactics. The Pilots would come in very smudge thinking they were the best. Their asses was promptly handed to them in the nice and shiny F-15 by an A-7. How does an A-7 take out a F-15? I might tell you how later. So instead of sending pilots to the war games, they sent two enlisted gamers. In the first 12 hours of game time, we reduced the Allies to only Attack Birds. Nato lost all the things with an F preceeding it's name. Yes, we were left in the same position but that was the idea. At that time, Soviet Junk greatly out numbered Natos junk. Of course, things can change in the next 72 hours so you grab as much territory as you can fast then sit on it. Don't kill the F-15 in the air, kill it on the ground and remove the possibility of them having any runways to operate from. Standard AAF Fighter Doctrine started in late 1943. The soviets took a lot of losses doing this but in the end, it worked out good. The A-10s stayed in England, our SU-7s stayed in COEUrope. But were we qualified to be pilots? Nope. I did have a BBA but by the time I got it, I was too crippled up to ever pass a pilots flight test. And I refused getting a Lobotamy :muahaha:

What is this silver spoon bullshit and what does anything you posted have to do with what I posted?

BTW, the words you were looking for are "smug", "preceding" and "lobotomy".

Last edited:
Good. The military should have removed the officer core a LONG damn time ago. It is an antiquated concept.

People should progress because of merit, not because they belong to the right club. Considering that a degree has become a requirement to become a SNCO, there really is no difference from the upper enlisted ranks and the officer core other than the upper enlisted ranks had to put their time in.

Actually, it's much harder to become a SNCO than get commissioned.

I don't foresee many Enlisted qualifying for a Fighter Pilot slot. The Fighter Mafia won't allow that. I believe that both of us are honorary members of the Fighter Pilot Mafia.

Why put the restriction on them? If they are good enough to fly a fighter, why not let them?

The Navy determines what you fly long after choosing you to be a pilot. Marines get very few choices as most are helo pilots.

Navy, like the Marines and AF are all commisioned College Grad Officers who are flying fixed wing. While I think Fighters and Nuke Bomber Pilots should only be that, cargo planes and choppers are a different bird and enlisted should be able to handle it.

No. I think you stated that wrong. All Navy, Marine and Air Force pilots are commissioned officers, no matter what they fly. Very few Army pilots are commissioned officers. Why do you think pilots of fighters and bombers need a college degree to fly them?

The best pilots I have ever seen are the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment and they are almost all warrant officers.

I had a history degree and would have flown had I been physically qualified (bad eyes). Granted, I had been an aerospace engineering and computer science major before I had to change majors in order to graduate on time, but there is no specific degree requirements. You can be an English Lit major and be a pilot.

Remember when I talked about the Silver Spoon in the mouth versus the purple shaft up the rear? You had the silver spoon. Many are not that lucky. Me and another enlisted person was sent to the European War Games because we were very familiar with the game they were using. The Wing King tried to use us for training purposes but we never lost to his pilots unless a cheat factors was figured in. What we were was War Gamers who understood the game, russian tactics, navy tactics, army air tactics, Marine air tactics and AF tactics. The Pilots would come in very smudge thinking they were the best. Their asses was promptly handed to them in the nice and shiny F-15 by an A-7. How does an A-7 take out a F-15? I might tell you how later. So instead of sending pilots to the war games, they sent two enlisted gamers. In the first 12 hours of game time, we reduced the Allies to only Attack Birds. Nato lost all the things with an F preceeding it's name. Yes, we were left in the same position but that was the idea. At that time, Soviet Junk greatly out numbered Natos junk. Of course, things can change in the next 72 hours so you grab as much territory as you can fast then sit on it. Don't kill the F-15 in the air, kill it on the ground and remove the possibility of them having any runways to operate from. Standard AAF Fighter Doctrine started in late 1943. The soviets took a lot of losses doing this but in the end, it worked out good. The A-10s stayed in England, our SU-7s stayed in COEUrope. But were we qualified to be pilots? Nope. I did have a BBA but by the time I got it, I was too crippled up to ever pass a pilots flight test. And I refused getting a Lobotamy :muahaha:

What is this silver spoon bullshit and what does anything you posted have to do with what I posted?

TBTW, te words you were looking for are "smug", "preceding" and "lobotomy".

So you are back to speel ckeckeng since you got bagged once more. What do you get when you educate an Idiot? You get an Educated Idiot.

He enlisted out of ROTC and came in as an officer because he had a degree. He outranked guys there 20 years simply because he was an officer. But he wasn't into all that crap. He was like Hawkeye on MASH. These 20 year guys would walk up to him and salute and he'd been there a week. He'd just stick out his hand and say whats up. He would salute like Hawkeye, with like one finger and a nod of the head. He did his minimum time and got out. It was not his thing.

I don't think he "enlisted" out of ROTC. If he completed the program, he would have received a commission.

As someone who was enlisted and went through ROTC to get my commission, I find your father's attitude rather strange. It would be disrespectful to the traditions and order and discipline of the military for him to act the way you say he did. With respect to your father, if it was not his "thing", he never should have joined in the first place.

The officer-enlisted relationship is sometimes complicated. One of my daughter's best friends is enlisting in the Army while she is already an officer. That will change their relationship especially if they were to be stationed at the same post.

Like me, his Father didn't have a choice whether to go into the military or not. Actually, he could go to prison, flee to Canada or disppear somewhere in Idaho. Your silver spoon is showing. And your lack of history as well.'

I was a professional musician and entertainer. For twenty years I never quite fit in the Military. In fact, working just part time, I made many times what I did from the Military. The only reason they put up with me for so long was I could be given a square peg and a round hole and make it fit.

Why didn't he have a choice? Did it say anywhere that he was drafted?

What is this silver spoon bullshit again? Say what you mean!

So you are back to speel ckeckeng since you got bagged once more. What do you get when you educate an Idiot? You get an Educated Idiot.

I want you to stop playing around. You suggested we show each other respect and I have done so. You on the other hand have continued to deflect from the topic with mental meanderings that have nothing to do with my posts.

Why didn't he have a choice? Did it say anywhere that he was drafted?

What is this silver spoon bullshit again? Say what you mean!

His age gives it the hint needed. I was a legal draft dodger. I enlisted with a draft notice hanging out my back pocket. Most enlisted in the AF at that time were in the same boat. The AF was very, very picky on who joined. Much more so than today where they have to compete.

And those with the silver spoon advantage just don't understand. Too bad.

I'd recommend prep school even with a degree already in-hand. A college education isnt what it used to be. A 3.2 doesn't mean anything anymore. Respectfully speaking. The selection process is rigid. Extremely competitive, too.

If you are going to allow enlisted to be pilots then you can narrow the search down to those enlisted with commercial, instrument and multi engined licenses. The reason for this is that if you have a person training to be a pilot, he or she will spend the next two years learning to fly the military way and it costs a couple of million bucks. You can't afford anything more that a really low washout rate. Chances are, if you have a enlisted with those qualification he spent his first 10 years or so getting on his own and his chances of passing the Military Flight School is good. He also probably sidelined his seek for college degree as well. Grab him before the Civilian Lines do.

Oh please! Have you lost all sense of reality? If someone has those ratings, why in the world would they want to join the Chair Force? They'd make more money outside than they ever would in their entire career. You do know that like 80% of your commercial and cargo pilots are ex-military. That's why there is a shortage!

You really need to think about a topic before posting on it.

In 2018, an O-1 will make $3108 base pay.

A W-1 will make $3038 base pay. Not much difference, huh?

Assuming they gave them an E-5 rank to start, that's $2333 base pay.

We won't even talk about E-1 through 3 which is where most people start.

I served with these people. Before they started putting people in jail for such things, the over water flights on a Herky Pig just might have some stick time by one of these folks while the Pilot went to the back to relieve himself or get into the poker game.

So much for being nice. It's not worth it with you. You really need to pull your head out your ass or get that plexiglass window in your stomach installed before you post again.

Again, WTF does that have to do with what I posted? Are you losing your grasp on reality or in the midst of stroking out?

I want you to stop playing around. You suggested we show each other respect and I have done so. You on the other hand have continued to deflect from the topic with mental meanderings that have nothing to do with my posts.

And yet when you got cornered you turned nasty. Hate to break it to you but it's actually good manners to fire back when fired upon. Stop bitching about it.

And yet when you got cornered you turned nasty. Hate to break it to you but it's actually good manners to fire back when fired upon. Stop bitching about it.

Cornered? How have I been cornered? You won't even address my posts, so how in the fuck does that mean I was cornered?

I am about to just chalk your incoherent replies to Alzheimer's because that is about all that makes sense. You seem to be stuck in the 1970s.

Now, are you going to respond to my comments or are you going to talk to someone who isn't even here?

Cornered? How have I been cornered? You won't even address my posts, so how in the fuck does that mean I was cornered?

I am about to just chalk your incoherent replies to Alzheimer's because that is about all that makes sense. You seem to be stuck in the 1970s.

Now, are you going to respond to my comments or are you going to talk to someone who isn't even here?

Are you aware that y ouo have just broken a couple of Federal Laws? Never say anytything on the internet that you won't say to the persons face. If you had publicly verbally stated what you just did, you would be in court very quickly trying to stay out of jail and keep what you have.

I am sure that Westwall is reading this. I no longer pay any attention to you and I hope the Moderator does his job and puts you in the penalty box.

Are you aware that y ouo have just broken a couple of Federal Laws? Never say anytything on the internet that you won't say to the persons face. If you had publicly verbally stated what you just did, you would be in court very quickly trying to stay out of jail and keep what you have.

I am sure that Westwall is reading this. I no longer pay any attention to you and I hope the Moderator does his job and puts you in the penalty box.

Federal laws? Maybe in your addled mind perhaps. I have my right to freedom of speech. You have a right to be an incoherent rambling douche canoe.

Suck it up buttercup and seek some help.

Peace! Out!

Getting back on track, The AF might use the program to create more Unmanned Pilots. Right now, only recon UAVs are to be piloted by the enlisted UAV Pilots in training. This might open up the lethal UAVs for enlisted pilots. Getting Enlisted into those slots releases Combat Pilots back into the Combat Pilots seats. Removing a qualified combat pilot to the UAV program is a real kick in the cajones.

Forum List

Back