Russia flies first Su-57 fitted with new Product 30 engine

Daryl Hunt

Your Worst Nightmare
Oct 22, 2014
O.D. (Stands for Out Dere
VIDEO: Russia flies first Su-57 fitted with new Product 30 engine

Russia’s latest fighter aircraft flew on 5 December for the first time with the NPO Saturn “Product 30” engine, which will be the production standard for the Sukhoi Su-57.

Sukhoi has built and flown nine flight test prototypes of the Su-57 fighter powered by NPO Saturn Product 117 engines, which are derived from the AL-41F-1S afterburning turbofans developed for the Su-35.

Cool. They'll make a bigger explosion when we hit them with an air to air missile.

Interesting. The two engines were shown with dissimilar power settings. I wonder if one was spooled down to test single engine performance?

Interesting. The two engines were shown with dissimilar power settings. I wonder if one was spooled down to test single engine performance?

That was one lucky pilot. It's a wonder the crate didn't crash and burn with the dissimilar engines pushing on the air frame like that.

That was one lucky pilot. It's a wonder the crate didn't crash and burn with the dissimilar engines pushing on the air frame like that.

Why? It appears the engines were run that way for the entire flight. I don't know if both were running but one was the new engine, while the other was an old engine being kept on as a backup, or one was spooled down for the test, either way it is an impressive aircraft. Not as good as our F-22 for sure, but they are getting there with help from the obummer admin.

• Banned

Why? It appears the engines were run that way for the entire flight. I don't know if both were running but one was the new engine, while the other was an old engine being kept on as a backup, or one was spooled down for the test, either way it is an impressive aircraft. Not as good as our F-22 for sure, but they are getting there with help from the obummer admin.

Worstball, give it a break. Obama has nothing to do with this. The Russians are using their own home grown. Yes 20 years later. Which is about right. They are constantly behind about 20 years. But they do make a leap once in awhile. This is one of them. Their new engine hasn't really been rung out yet hence the old and the new engine. I will admit it appears odd but it is perfectly safe.

As for worrying the F-22, not even on a good day. It's still going to be picked up on radar first with it's .25 stealth rating from the front and .5 from the other angles. The F-22 is rated at .00001 in all angles. And the F-35 is rated close to the F-22. The F-15 with just AA missiles is rated at .25 from all angles. The SU-35 is rated at .5 as is all of the SU-27 variants from all angles.

I don't have the information of the F-15E with conformal fuel tanks with internal weapons bays since they are extremely hush hush on that one and if it can super cruise or not. I imagine with the existing engines, it probably can since it's one of the most powerful Fighters and is one clean puppy.

This means that the Russians may have a true stealth bird in a few years, maybe 2030.

Worstball, give it a break. Obama has nothing to do with this. The Russians are using their own home grown. Yes 20 years later. Which is about right. They are constantly behind about 20 years. But they do make a leap once in awhile. This is one of them. Their new engine hasn't really been rung out yet hence the old and the new engine. I will admit it appears odd but it is perfectly safe.

As for worrying the F-22, not even on a good day. It's still going to be picked up on radar first with it's .25 stealth rating from the front and .5 from the other angles. The F-22 is rated at .00001 in all angles. And the F-35 is rated close to the F-22. The F-15 with just AA missiles is rated at .25 from all angles. The SU-35 is rated at .5 as is all of the SU-27 variants from all angles.

I don't have the information of the F-15E with conformal fuel tanks with internal weapons bays since they are extremely hush hush on that one and if it can super cruise or not. I imagine with the existing engines, it probably can since it's one of the most powerful Fighters and is one clean puppy.

This means that the Russians may have a true stealth bird in a few years, maybe 2030.

The SU is a Gen 4+ fighter. That is pretty clear. The F-22 is a Gen 5. I have no idea where you get the radar cross section estimate but I think it is a tad on the conservative side. But, we truly won't know till we can get in the same airspace as one.

• Banned

The SU is a Gen 4+ fighter. That is pretty clear. The F-22 is a Gen 5. I have no idea where you get the radar cross section estimate but I think it is a tad on the conservative side. But, we truly won't know till we can get in the same airspace as one.

I can't remember where I got those figures. But I think they are pretty accurate. A 100% rating would be a barn door flying sideways. Everything is below that including a friggin brick. Even before the F-15 received it's AESA radar, it would still become aware of the SU-27 before the SU-27 became aware of the F-15. I think this is from the really clean lines of the F-15 and the reduced surfaces. Yes, Stealth was not designed in on the F-15, it was done more by luck.

The SU-57 does have better lines from the front than it's predecessor but that's about it. It has longer ranged missiles than the F-15 but if you can't see your adversary until after he has fired then the longer range is worthless.

About the most worthless thing on the SU-57 is the thrust vectoring. Even the F-22 at combat speeds gets little from it's vectoring thrust. Unless you want to turn off your G sensors. Then it can turn your brains into mush quickly.

I can't remember where I got those figures. But I think they are pretty accurate. A 100% rating would be a barn door flying sideways. Everything is below that including a friggin brick. Even before the F-15 received it's AESA radar, it would still become aware of the SU-27 before the SU-27 became aware of the F-15. I think this is from the really clean lines of the F-15 and the reduced surfaces. Yes, Stealth was not designed in on the F-15, it was done more by luck.

The SU-57 does have better lines from the front than it's predecessor but that's about it. It has longer ranged missiles than the F-15 but if you can't see your adversary until after he has fired then the longer range is worthless.

About the most worthless thing on the SU-57 is the thrust vectoring. Even the F-22 at combat speeds gets little from it's vectoring thrust. Unless you want to turn off your G sensors. Then it can turn your brains into mush quickly.

I know how radar cross sections are calculated, as I said, until we have something in the air with one we won't have any real idea what it's radar cross section will be. I find the engine upgrades to be pretty damned remarkable. They lowered the overall weight of the powerplant by 150 kg when a 1 kg drop is hard. The High-Pressure Turbine can reportedly operate without cooling blades or bearings, and no lubrication. You heard anything about that? Evidently they are using new ceramics in all sorts of areas of the engine.

I know how radar cross sections are calculated, as I said, until we have something in the air with one we won't have any real idea what it's radar cross section will be. I find the engine upgrades to be pretty damned remarkable. They lowered the overall weight of the powerplant by 150 kg when a 1 kg drop is hard. The High-Pressure Turbine can reportedly operate without cooling blades or bearings, and no lubrication. You heard anything about that? Evidently they are using new ceramics in all sorts of areas of the engine.

I believe the Jet Engine is considered a High Pressure Turbine. But it's still going to need some kind of lube or some very good bearings of some kind. Even though the Jet Engine really is a high pressure turbine, that term is normally used in Steam Engine Turbines.

I believe the Jet Engine is considered a High Pressure Turbine. But it's still going to need some kind of lube or some very good bearings of some kind. Even though the Jet Engine really is a high pressure turbine, that term is normally used in Steam Engine Turbines.

It has both low and high pressure chambers. I am truly skeptical of the claims that it can operate without lubrication. But the drop in weight is factual. I find that pretty remarkable.

It has both low and high pressure chambers. I am truly skeptical of the claims that it can operate without lubrication. But the drop in weight is factual. I find that pretty remarkable.

I spent 5 years as a propulsion specialtist. I don't see how the engine can run without lubrication. Maybe it can do without it at some critical high temp areas but all other areas require lube of some kind. Where did you hear that it doesn't use lubrication?

I spent 5 years as a propulsion specialtist. I don't see how the engine can run without lubrication. Maybe it can do without it at some critical high temp areas but all other areas require lube of some kind. Where did you hear that it doesn't use lubrication?

One of the aviation forums. Like I said, I don't particularly believe it either.

One of the aviation forums. Like I said, I don't particularly believe it either.

If you can get me detailed pics of the bird itself with both engines of the 30 variety and a pic of the engine outside the AC I can tell if it uses lubrication or not.

Notice the grills on the bottom of the SU-57. Their purpose is for an oil cooler radiator. The 30 series engine is a modded AL-31 that is used in the SU-35. The upgraded designation for the SU-57 engine is AL-41F-1. It's very much like the 31 except it's been cleaned up a mite giving it more thrust. And it's lubricated as you can see. The differences between the 31 and the 41 are minor. But it does get a few thousand pounds of thrust extra. It's not just the engine that allows super cruise, it's also the slickness of the frontal area of the bird itself. I imagine that if we were to put on the F-15SE stuff on a F-15C then there is a good chance it could super cruise without external weapons, fuel tanks or neat toys that hang on it. Of course, the F-100 engine on the F-15 would need to be swapped out. It's a bit weak as compared to either the AL-41 and the PW119. But there is an engine swap that might do it, the F110-GE-132. This is a real hotrod engine that isn't currently used in any US Aircraft. The F-16 and 40 of the F-15K models have used the less potent version; the F110-GE-129. The PW119 and the F110-GE-132 are in the same class as the new AL-41F-1 engine.

2-660x430-620x404.jpg

It really puts into perspective the difference in what is considered a good stealth design when you look athe bottom of that plane compared to American designs. SU-57 has big metalic engine parts, vents (seriously?), big bulges everywhere and the straight line from the intake to engines where the fan blades are exposed to the front since no S-intake. Piece of shit.

Compare to underbelly of what USA was flying 20 years ago:

F-22_Raptor_bottom_030926-F-7709A-010.jpg

Forum List

Back