Engineer: Trump's wall is implausible

Well if you use Trumps TAX PLAN to collect 10% from the $24.4 BILLION sent back to Mexico last year, and build a wall like this in Israel, it should be accomplished about the time Trump starts a second term!

th
I look forward to your predictions on a Drumpf victory.......just like your predictions on Drumpf winning Wisconsin. Priceless!

An Engineer Explains Why Trump’s Wall Is So Implausible

There are very few occasions in American political discourse that require the input of a structural engineer, but when Donald Trump took a question from Univision’s Jorge Ramos regarding his proposed United States-Mexico border wall at a press conference on August 25, I heard the clarion call:

RAMOS: How are you going to build a 1,900-mile wall?
TRUMP: Very easy. I’m a builder. That’s easy. I build buildings that are — can I tell you what’s more complicated? What’s more complicated is building a building that’s 95 stories tall. Okay?

No. Donald Trump is not a builder. Donald Trump could not build a doghouse. Donald Trump is a developer who pays what he would call “very, very smart people” to build things on his behalf. His response to Ramos’ question was meant both to exaggerate his understanding of construction and to downplay the challenges posed by his border wall project.

The challenge of Trump’s border wall is not technical, but logistical. The leap in complexity between “building a wall” and “building a 2,000-mile-long continuous border wall in the desert” is about equal to the gap between “killing a guy” and “waging a protracted land war.” Trump’s border wall, if built as he has described it, would be one of the largest civil works projects in the history of the country and would face an array of challenges not found when constructing 95-story skyscrapers.

Trumpery has no intention of "building a wall" but this thread is about the logistics of this fantastical project. John Oliver's segment explained many of the same things but this is more detailed. Even fans of Trumpery's trumpery will see why most people laugh at the idea of The Great Trump Wall.
Here in the 21st century we can't build a wall?
Good thing the Chinese didn't hear that 2,700 years ago.
Israel built a 500 mile wall. Hardly an engineering feat.

Great Wall is 13,171 miles long.

Is our southern border longer than that?
The Great Wall of China was built over several centuries and was not effective at all. About 25 feet tall....all that is needed is a 26 foot ladder....UNLESS you do like the Chinese did and build guard towers every double bow shot lengths apart and man those towers 24/7. This is getting better and better, isn't it?

There are very few occasions in American political discourse that require the input of a structural engineer, but when Donald Trump took a question from Univision’s Jorge Ramos regarding his proposed United States-Mexico border wall at a press conference on August 25, I heard the clarion call:

TRUMP: Very easy. I’m a builder. That’s easy. I build buildings that are — can I tell you what’s more complicated? What’s more complicated is building a building that’s 95 stories tall. Okay?

No. Donald Trump is not a builder. Donald Trump could not build a doghouse. Donald Trump is a developer who pays what he would call “very, very smart people” to build things on his behalf. His response to Ramos’ question was meant both to exaggerate his understanding of construction and to downplay the challenges posed by his border wall project.

The challenge of Trump’s border wall is not technical, but logistical. The leap in complexity between “building a wall” and “building a 2,000-mile-long continuous border wall in the desert” is about equal to the gap between “killing a guy” and “waging a protracted land war.” Trump’s border wall, if built as he has described it, would be one of the largest civil works projects in the history of the country and would face an array of challenges not found when constructing 95-story skyscrapers.

Trumpery has no intention of "building a wall" but this thread is about the logistics of this fantastical project. John Oliver's segment explained many of the same things but this is more detailed. Even fans of Trumpery's trumpery will see why most people laugh at the idea of The Great Trump Wall.
Moreover we aren't even asking that they make it out of stone. In fact we aren't even requiring that we can walk on the wall. Nor are we asking that it span 13,000 miles. I could go behind a Home Depot, hire a few illegals, and have it done in record speed at a fraction of the cost before I shoved them over to the other side of the wall.
What about the Northern Wall?

How Long It Took to Built the Great Wall of China

It is actually a complicated question. There are several Great Walls that were built by different dynasties such as the Qin Great Wall and the better known Ming Great Wall. But there are estimates about the number of laborers and records for how many years it took to complete the work...
Construction Time For All of the Walls

If all the fortified walls that were built by the different dynasties and kingdoms around northern China are included, the total length would exceed 20,000 kilometers (12,000 miles). All these walls together were completed over a period of 22 centuries. It is probably impossible to calculate how many millions of people built the Great Wall or the man hours expended.
So why are you buying into the idea mankind can't do what they did 2,700 years ago?
You mean what they did between 3,700 to 2,700 years ago....and I'm generous on the amount of time taken.

The Great Wall took 20 years to build and cost the lives of a million workers. The Chinese people lived as peasants in abject poverty during that time with the emperors owning everything and had all the money. We don't know how much it cost in money, but it would have been a vast amount, far more than the US population would be willing to spend building a wall between us and Mexico.

The Great Wall took 20 years to build and cost a million lives of workers. The Chinese people lived as peasants in abject poverty during that time with the emperors owning everything and having all the money. We don't know how much it cost in money, but it would have been a vast amount, far more than the US population would be willing to spend building a wall between us and Mexico.
Add a couple zeros to that.

My WHAT is under 35?
I'm twice that, well educated and ambitious enough to have worked since I was 13 and am now comfortably retired.

Its the Trumpery followers who don't have the gumption to address even one point in the links.

So you disagree with the points made by the engineer?

Please elaborate.

If the engineer made any points you highlighted none of them. You simply said "Look, he's an engineer," and pointed at some ad-homonyms. According to your very own op the engineer made no points. Don't ask someone to argue against what doesn't exist.

No, I did not say
"Look, he's an engineer".
Nor did I attack anyone's grammar or spelling.

The engineer made his points. Not one of the a trump fans has the integrity or courage to address any of them.

Step 1. Get funding
Step 2. Make a phone call. Better yet, call these guys. United States Army Corps of Engineers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
Step 3. Supervise
Step 4. Laugh at you.

And then there's this jerk ^^ who lives in LaLaLand.

Stop humping Trumpery's leg and have the courage and integrity to address the points in the links.

I'll check back to see if any of you could but I doubt it.
Well, I'm an engineer with a US patent in my name and my parts flying in the air and in space.
Go back to your hole, dug by hand I'm sure.
Cool story, bro. :eusa_liar:

The Great Wall of China was built over several centuries and was not effective at all. About 25 feet tall....all that is needed is a 26 foot ladder....UNLESS you do like the Chinese did and build guard towers every double bow shot lengths apart and man those towers 24/7. This is getting better and better, isn't it?

in some of those areas, it was really hard to get bulldozers, trenchers, bucket trucks, etc to expediently do the job.

No wonder it took so long

This whole fantasy about controlling our southern border has always been mathematically impossible.

You can't round up 12 million people, or convince them to willingly go back.
You can't build an effective barrier 1989 miles long in less that 20 years.

in some of those areas, it was really hard to get bulldozers, trenchers, bucket trucks, etc to expediently do the job.

Almost funny but in all seriousness, look at the John Oliver segment. It shows there's a real difficulty there. I've talked about that many times as well, that the Sonora is a semi-tropical desert but of course, the RWNJs can't be bothered with facts.

In all seriousness, the wall, which I doubt would be built anyway, (just another of Trumps talking points), could be built a lot faster using modern techniques and methods, not to mention tools, than you want to believe.

Almost funny but in all seriousness, look at the John Oliver segment. It shows there's a real difficulty there. I've talked about that many times as well, that the Sonora is a semi-tropical desert but of course, the RWNJs can't be bothered with facts.
Why the fuck would anyone look at a John Oliver segment for making an important decision?

You still ranting on that a wall can't be built in the 21st century like what was done 2,700 years ago?
Show some dignity and let the grown ups continue on with progress.

I don't do John Oliver any more. He ceased being funny and started being an A-Hole with weak judgement.
And -- there's nothing funny about it. It gets built -- or it doesn't.. What does a semi-tropical desert have to do with wall building??? They can truck in water from the Rio Grande to cure cement pretty quick..

Really building a wall is a LOT easier than the infrastructure and different sewage, drainage, electrical, infrastructure aspects of building a 2 lane road. Can't do THAT in a semi-tropical desert either I assume?

Put down the MaryJuana, Turn off HBO, Slap yourself straight and get over the "yucks".. This is serious..,

RWNJ traitors afraid to look at the links I posted and terrified of the facts in the John Oliver segment.

Several confess they don't know what is in the links but then say they know all there is to know. One of them even confesses he doesn't even know what a semi-tropical desert has to do with this.

And all of them worked reeel hard to derail this thread which used to be against the rules but obviously isn't any more. At least, its not against the rules for certain posters.

I do not need to read your thread to say Trump can build all the walls he want and that same contractor that built the wall would build the tunnels for free...

The Wall is stupid and fixing the economy and corruption in Mexico would do more to stem the illegal immigration but let not discuss something that take thinking!
The wall would fix the economy and corruption IN Mexico idiot.
The Mexican government would be forced to deal with its own problems and people.

The wall is just a waste of money. And can be breach easily.

Forum List

Back