Engineer: Trump's wall is implausible

An Engineer Explains Why Trump’s Wall Is So Implausible

There are very few occasions in American political discourse that require the input of a structural engineer, but when Donald Trump took a question from Univision’s Jorge Ramos regarding his proposed United States-Mexico border wall at a press conference on August 25, I heard the clarion call:

RAMOS: How are you going to build a 1,900-mile wall?
TRUMP: Very easy. I’m a builder. That’s easy. I build buildings that are — can I tell you what’s more complicated? What’s more complicated is building a building that’s 95 stories tall. Okay?

No. Donald Trump is not a builder. Donald Trump could not build a doghouse. Donald Trump is a developer who pays what he would call “very, very smart people” to build things on his behalf. His response to Ramos’ question was meant both to exaggerate his understanding of construction and to downplay the challenges posed by his border wall project.

The challenge of Trump’s border wall is not technical, but logistical. The leap in complexity between “building a wall” and “building a 2,000-mile-long continuous border wall in the desert” is about equal to the gap between “killing a guy” and “waging a protracted land war.” Trump’s border wall, if built as he has described it, would be one of the largest civil works projects in the history of the country and would face an array of challenges not found when constructing 95-story skyscrapers.

Trumpery has no intention of "building a wall" but this thread is about the logistics of this fantastical project. John Oliver's segment explained many of the same things but this is more detailed. Even fans of Trumpery's trumpery will see why most people laugh at the idea of The Great Trump Wall.
Here in the 21st century we can't build a wall?
Good thing the Chinese didn't hear that 2,700 years ago.
Israel built a 500 mile wall. Hardly an engineering feat.
Moreover we aren't even asking that they make it out of stone. In fact we aren't even requiring that we can walk on the wall. Nor are we asking that it span 13,000 miles. I could go behind a Home Depot, hire a few illegals, and have it done in record speed at a fraction of the cost before I shoved them over to the other side of the wall.
What's stopping your ass from writing that check?

There are very few occasions in American political discourse that require the input of a structural engineer, but when Donald Trump took a question from Univision’s Jorge Ramos regarding his proposed United States-Mexico border wall at a press conference on August 25, I heard the clarion call:

TRUMP: Very easy. I’m a builder. That’s easy. I build buildings that are — can I tell you what’s more complicated? What’s more complicated is building a building that’s 95 stories tall. Okay?

No. Donald Trump is not a builder. Donald Trump could not build a doghouse. Donald Trump is a developer who pays what he would call “very, very smart people” to build things on his behalf. His response to Ramos’ question was meant both to exaggerate his understanding of construction and to downplay the challenges posed by his border wall project.

The challenge of Trump’s border wall is not technical, but logistical. The leap in complexity between “building a wall” and “building a 2,000-mile-long continuous border wall in the desert” is about equal to the gap between “killing a guy” and “waging a protracted land war.” Trump’s border wall, if built as he has described it, would be one of the largest civil works projects in the history of the country and would face an array of challenges not found when constructing 95-story skyscrapers.

Trumpery has no intention of "building a wall" but this thread is about the logistics of this fantastical project. John Oliver's segment explained many of the same things but this is more detailed. Even fans of Trumpery's trumpery will see why most people laugh at the idea of The Great Trump Wall.
Here in the 21st century we can't build a wall?
Good thing the Chinese didn't hear that 2,700 years ago.
Israel built a 500 mile wall. Hardly an engineering feat.
Moreover we aren't even asking that they make it out of stone. In fact we aren't even requiring that we can walk on the wall. Nor are we asking that it span 13,000 miles. I could go behind a Home Depot, hire a few illegals, and have it done in record speed at a fraction of the cost before I shoved them over to the other side of the wall.
What's stopping your ass from writing that check?

I think he is talking about this kind of fence.

181b3223db103d1cd46fbeb0b4f38aa2.jpg

If you are worried about illegals taking over you job...... Think hard who's job is really in jeopardy. As I said several times H1B visa Is a very big threat to high paying American jobs.
Trump itself is guilty of this.

Fear Not the Green Card: How Immigration Really Threatens Your Job

It's been stated that Trump HIMSELF does NOT do this, BUT companies he subcontracts to did...

That not exactly true. He claimed he cannot find waitress, janitors and cook in Florida so he hire foreign workers for his resorts.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/2...force-for-his-florida-club.html?referer=&_r=0

If you are worried about illegals taking over you job...... Think hard who's job is really in jeopardy. As I said several times H1B visa Is a very big threat to high paying American jobs.
Trump itself is guilty of this.

Fear Not the Green Card: How Immigration Really Threatens Your Job

It's been stated that Trump HIMSELF does NOT do this, BUT companies he subcontracts to did...

That not exactly true. He claimed he cannot find waitress, janitors and cook in Florida so he hire foreign workers for his resorts.

Donald Trump to Foreign Workers for Florida Club: You’re Hired

The American's didn't want to do the work for the pay that Trump was offering. They don't want to pick oranges either for the pay called for for that job! I don't want to pay $2 an orange when I'm already paying a BUCK a orange!

it's odd to me that it's impossible to build a 2,000 mile long wall on the southern border when the "Great Wall of China" is 5,500 miles long. I'm not a fan of the wall and think there's better ways to deal with all the undocumented people coming across, but don't tell me that we can't do something that has already been done over 2,000 years ago.

2000 miles it okay for me but the time is near they're finish with build ??

Off course if Trump win election 2016 how are big win temptation.

If Cruz don't taken everything in last states.

Trump has no intention of building a wall. It is all theatrics, and the mouth breathers LOVE theatrics. Witness a professional wrestling event.

Trump's wall will become a metaphor for securing the southern boarder. Trump is not going build a 2000 mile wall when there're better and cheaper methods to increase boarder security.

Trump must win first then be president wins then he have the power in United States.

Wall is powerful when he doesn't will big illegal immigrations from Latinos and Islams.

Trump won't build the wall. He will just say that the system is so screwed and unfair that they won't let him build the wall.

He likes to whine a lot.

Trump won't build the wall. He will just say that the system is so screwed and unfair that they won't let him build the wall.

He likes to whine a lot.
That might work as a candidate but not as president. As president he would become the leader of his party, the face and defender of government bureacy. In short, he would become the establishment.

Before the wall is finished there will be holes blown in the walls faster than they can be repaired. Ever heard of "dynamite"

Before the wall is finished there will be holes blown in the walls faster than they can be repaired. Ever heard of "dynamite"

Ever hear of "stop or we'll take your country away from you"?

---------------------------------------------------------------so what , you just repair the damage .

I've put this up other time to explain things to other 'lady' engineers and pajama boys Lilo Lady . Maybe it'll teach you a thing or 2 . --- What it would take to build Trump's border wall - CNN Video --- notice that the panels are easily replaceable should someone show up with some dynamite . Israelis have a similar wall for these last 10 - 12 years and it remains standing as it seperates the Israelis from the 'savages' LLady .

Agreed. The wall is so permanent, yet might not be needed 10 years from now. Also maybe then, Mexico economy booming, ours in the pits, and we want to sneak into their country for a better life? We won't be able to.

Forum List

Back