End Medicare and Social Security now!

The majority of us are paying into a black hole. Medicare and Social Security are going to be gone in a few years. Why should we be forced to continue paying the taxes on these programs for other people?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/health_care/government-medicare-will-become-insolvent-in-2026-three-years-earlier-than-expected-social-security-to-follow-in-2034/2018/06/05/cdd94844-68ec-11e8-a335-c4503d041eaf_story.html

I was absolutely against participation in SS and only did so when forced. Now, having paid a great deal of money into it throughout my working life, I expect the Nation to fulfill it's part to the contract. Payments to me are the most important part of the national debt.

Our politicians are too chickenshit to enact the obvious solution to make SS and Medicare solvent.

We are living decades longer than our ancestors. We should be working longer. This is common fricking sense!

But today's workers feel entitled to live on the public dime for decades longer than their grandparents. So they threaten to oust any politician who tells them to get off their fat lazy asses and work longer.

In 1935, when Social Security was established, 5.4% of Americans were over the age of 65. Social Security was not intended for the majority of Americans to ever collect. It was INSURANCE which paid off to those who beat the odds.

In 1965, when Medicare was added to the pile. 9% of Americans were over the age of 65.

Today, nearly 15% of Americans are over the age of 65. This means there is an ever larger and larger proportion of Americans being carried by an ever shrinking proportion.

This obviously cannot be sustained, and the solution is equally obvious.

We should immediately increase the eligibility age to 70, and index it to 9 percent of the population going forward.

I think it could be made sustainable at raising the age to 68 to retire. Problem is how many people can actually work a labor intensive job at 65? Difficult question.

Democrat politicians started stealing from Social Security the moment FDR signed it into law. LBJ made looting the FICA taxes legal and there has never been a "locked box". Social Security can be fixed but democrats (and the media) will never let it happen as long as they can use it as a political tool.

Democrat politicians started stealing from Social Security the moment FDR signed it into law. LBJ made looting the FICA taxes legal and there has never been a "locked box". Social Security can be fixed but democrats (and the media) will never let it happen as long as they can use it as a political tool.

Why are so many people this damn stupid? Nobody is looting Social Security. Intragovernment bonds put more money into the trust fund.

Why are so many people this damn stupid? Nobody is looting Social Security. Intragovernment bonds put more money into the trust fund.

why ? they're RW's ... dumb as rocks out of the womb.

The majority of us are paying into a black hole. Medicare and Social Security are going to be gone in a few years. Why should we be forced to continue paying the taxes on these programs for other people?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/health_care/government-medicare-will-become-insolvent-in-2026-three-years-earlier-than-expected-social-security-to-follow-in-2034/2018/06/05/cdd94844-68ec-11e8-a335-c4503d041eaf_story.html

I thought that many years ago. Let me opt out and you can keep what I had already contributed.

Friday I completed my application for SS benefits.
Do you know you can collect SS while still employed full time?

Yup. I believe you have to be 67 to be able to work full time and collect SS.

I'm 66 now and will be doing just that next year.

Medicare and SS were horrible programs and if people could only take out what they put in both of them would have been long gone.

Because you are taking from those coming behind you both will always be here.

Neither will ever go broke because there will always be people paying behind you.

2034? You know how many people will be dead by 2034?

Besides, the US has never made as much money as it makes now.

So you want people to die?

You have to be a Russian troll.

Neither will ever go broke because there will always be people paying behind you.
Er..umm.. Do you understand how cash flow works?

What are the options when there's more going out than coming in?

Old folks die and stop using both. People die every day.

They're not dying fast enough to fix the projected cash flow imbalance, it's the major contributing factor to why those enormous future liabilities booked against federal entitlements (especially SS and Medicare) are categorized as "unfunded". In effect promises made to current generations cannot be funded by future generations without a substantial increase in inflows (higher taxes), a substantial reduction in outflows (smaller benefits), some combination of the two or a suicidal degree of federal "borrow & print".

… and our boys & girls in Washington, Don't. Care. are just avoiding the problem because they're hoping that they'll be gone from office by the time the proles figure out the truth and break out the torches and pitchforks.

2034? You know how many people will be dead by 2034?

Besides, the US has never made as much money as it makes now.

So you want people to die?

You have to be a Russian troll.

That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

if people could only take out what they put in

That's your mistake. It was never about taking out what you put in. Social Security is not a retirement account, and it never was. It's a tax and welfare program. Always has been.

Yes, and end all other scams as well.

Social security and medicare/medicaid are just ways of shoveling benefits from our children to us. Now having ran for a full generation, you can guess where we are at.

The Federal Government can discontinue Social Security....just as soon as they cut me a check for all the money I have paid into it.

If it goes under before I get my money I will be occupying /claiming ONE of the several homes our millionaire politicians each own...

I thought that many years ago. Let me opt out and you can keep what I had already contributed.

Friday I completed my application for SS benefits.
Do you know you can collect SS while still employed full time?

Yup. I believe you have to be 67 to be able to work full time and collect SS.

I'm 66 now and will be doing just that next year.

Medicare and SS were horrible programs and if people could only take out what they put in both of them would have been long gone.

Because you are taking from those coming behind you both will always be here.

It's 66, you need to apply today.
Go to ssa.gov, apply online.

Yes, they should be ended, but they need to be phased out over time so that people in retirement or nearing retirement are not totally screwed for paying in over their working life and then getting nothing.

A schedule of declining contributions to wind this down with a new program of contributions to privately owned retirement accounts (Chilean model) would be my preference.

Yes, they should be ended, but they need to be phased out over time so that people in retirement or nearing retirement are not totally screwed for paying in over their working life and then getting nothing.

A schedule of declining contributions to wind this down with a new program of contributions to privately owned retirement accounts (Chilean model) would be my preference.

I agree. Chile's system works great and the participants make twice as much as they would have on a standard SS system.

They won’t just go away. Benefits may have to decrease.

Forum List

Back