Employment Report

If 500,000 people drop out of the work force next month. Maybe the unemployment rate will drop below 8%!

When you have less of something like
1# 250/354=70.6%
2# 251/350=71.7%

What you did here is you lowered the total number seeking employment(bottom), meaning people(percentage) dropped out of the work force. This lowered the unemployment rate! By having simply less people as a whole.

This isn't about republicans, this is about Obama and his failed time as president of the United States.

Please explain how 368,000 people leaving the workforce in August is the republicans fault.

Please explain how for every one person who finds a job, four people are leaving the workforce because they are too discouraged is the republicans fault

Please explain how 25 M Americans out of work is the republicans fault.

This is purely about Obama. Not Romney/Ryan, but Obama.

Who said this was the republicans fault? My point, which you are clearly missing, is what alternative plan would have fixed this situation faster? A plan that involves further tax breaks for the rich? A plan that cuts out safety nets for the middle class? You may not be happy with the results under Obama, fine. But tell me what the better plan is and how it would decrease the unemployment rate faster.

Have you ever heard of the Economic Tax Recovery Act of 1981?

yes, it increased my taxes, which is why I did not vote for reagan for his second term.

Definition of 'Economic Recovery Tax Act Of 1981 - ERTA'
A law that lowered income tax rates and allowed for expensing of depreciable assets. The Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 (ERTA) also included several incentives for small business and incentives for saving. The ERTA also provided for automatic adjustment of tax brackets, and indexing for inflation because inflation increased nominal income and pushed taxpayers into higher and higher tax brackets.
Investopedia explains 'Economic Recovery Tax Act Of 1981 - ERTA'
The effect of indexing is to expose a smaller portion of income to taxation. Without indexing, inflation would give the government a larger tax windfall. The lower income and middle class workers were most affected by inflation caused tax increases. They were the most hurt by the increasing tax brackets.

Read more: Economic Recovery Tax Act Of 1981 (ERTA) Definition | Investopedia

it was so very progresive.

Last edited:
With unemployment being a lagging indicator we see that the country is going back into recession, following lower economic levels in Europe and China.
Obama's policies have failed. What he proposes is more of what has already failed. He is the most failed president since Robert Mugabe.

Go ahead and tell me about it...

Are you that young and/or that uninformed?

I was 3 years old in 1981 and don't pretend to know everything. Would love to hear your opinion about what you brought up and how that relates to what I said.

It was the brainchild of Jack Kemp and was pushed through by Reagan. it very substantially reduced tax rates across the board and helped stimulate a very strong economic recovery leading to greater tax revenues.

This was not a new idea, by the way: under JFK a democratic administration stimulated the economy in the same way.

You mean if it drops down to the level it was under George W. Bush?

Don't bother reasoning with Obamabots. They're the same nutters who screeched about George Bush's 4.5% Unemployment and Record High Stock Markets being a horrible 'Depression.' They're just not honest or rational people.

Interesting. Now that Paul is out of it your Bush colors come out.

My opinion of most libertarians holds true.
Most are just embaressed Republicans.

No 'Bush Colors', just stating reality. Most Obamabots were absolutely hysterical in whining about George Bush's 4.5% Unemployment and Record High Stock Markets. So i just can't give them any credibility on this issue. The numbers are just plain awful. But it's only all about the 'D' & 'R' thing for them. I have very little patience for such ignorance.

Who said this was the republicans fault? My point, which you are clearly missing, is what alternative plan would have fixed this situation faster? A plan that involves further tax breaks for the rich? A plan that cuts out safety nets for the middle class? You may not be happy with the results under Obama, fine. But tell me what the better plan is and how it would decrease the unemployment rate faster.

yes, it increased my taxes, which is why I did not vote for reagan for his second term.

A law that lowered income tax rates and allowed for expensing of depreciable assets. The Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 (ERTA) also included several incentives for small business and incentives for saving. The ERTA also provided for automatic adjustment of tax brackets, and indexing for inflation because inflation increased nominal income and pushed taxpayers into higher and higher tax brackets.
The effect of indexing is to expose a smaller portion of income to taxation. Without indexing, inflation would give the government a larger tax windfall. The lower income and middle class workers were most affected by inflation caused tax increases. They were the most hurt by the increasing tax brackets.

Yes, it had such a devastating effect that Reagan won in a huge landslide in 1984!

Bad news for Romney if unemployment drops below 8% right before the election.

The average American is not comparing Obama to Bush. Someone said, the jobs numbers don't matter because America has become numb to them, to a point I agree. I think the only power they have is if they do 1 of two things, jump up enough that the nightly news starts talking about it again, or dip below 8%. 1 will help Romney, the other Obama.

Yes, it had such a devastating effect that Reagan won in a huge landslide in 1984!

it still does not change history or Reagans' tax hikes of his administration, and yet people have the gaul to pretend that Reagan was a conservative.

Record 88,921,000 Americans ‘Not in Labor Force’—119,000 Fewer Employed in August Than July
By Terence P. Jeffrey
September 7, 2012

(CNSNews.com) - The number of Americans whom the U.S. Department of Labor counted as “not in the civilian labor force” in August hit a record high of 88,921,000.

The Labor Department counts a person as not in the civilian labor force if they are at least 16 years old, are not in the military or an institution such as a prison, mental hospital or nursing home, and have not actively looked for a job in the last four weeks. The department counts a person as in “the civilian labor force” if they are at least 16, are not in the military or an institution such as a prison, mental hospital or nursing home, and either do have a job or have actively looked for one in the last four weeks.

In July, there were 155,013,000 in the U.S. civilian labor force. In August that dropped to 154,645,000—meaning that on net 368,000 people simply dropped out of the labor force last month and did not even look for a job.

There were also 119,000 fewer Americans employed in August than there were in July. In July, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 142,220,000 Americans working. But, in August, there were only 142,101,000 Americans working.

Despite the fact that fewer Americans were employed in August than July, the unemployment rate ticked down from 8.3 in July to 8.1. That is because so many people dropped out of the labor force and stopped looking for work. The unemployment rate is the percentage of people in the labor force (meaning they had a job or were actively looking for one) who did not have a job.The Bureau of Labor Statistic also reported that in August the labor force participation rate (the percentage of the people in the civilian non-institutionalized population who either had a job or were actively looking for one) dropped to a 30-year low of 63.5 percent, down from 63.7 percent in July.

The last time the labor force participation rate was as low as 63.5 percent was in September 1981.

Record 88,921,000 Americans

Last edited:
So this is where people gather to root for bad news for America.

No just looking for the truth and not spin from the fucking corrupt scum sucking politicians.

Thousands of people have seen their benefits end and are not working. Those people are no longer counted as unemployed and you think that the .2% drop is a true representation of the situation.

Fucking moronic sheep.

And the way to make it all better is to put a guy in to the whitehouse who wants to make things more difficult for the poor and middle class while cutting taxes for the rich? That's the plan that makes the most sense to you?
you really are a complete moron and partisan hack.

It is not just the people out of a job. It is their family and friends and former co workers as well. All of them look at this and say, this economy sucks. And Obama promised to fix it. Why would I ever believe him again?

Are you that young and/or that uninformed?

I was 3 years old in 1981 and don't pretend to know everything. Would love to hear your opinion about what you brought up and how that relates to what I said.

It was the brainchild of Jack Kemp and was pushed through by Reagan. it very substantially reduced tax rates across the board and helped stimulate a very strong economic recovery leading to greater tax revenues.

This was not a new idea, by the way: under JFK a democratic administration stimulated the economy in the same way.

So you're in favor of reducing tax rates across the board? What about the whole notion that "47% of Americans don't pay taxes". Wouldn't an across the board tax decrease only increase that number of people "not paying taxes"?

Bad news for Romney if unemployment drops below 8% right before the election.

The average American is not comparing Obama to Bush. Someone said, the jobs numbers don't matter because America has become numb to them, to a point I agree. I think the only power they have is if they do 1 of two things, jump up enough that the nightly news starts talking about it again, or dip below 8%. 1 will help Romney, the other Obama.

People care more about Wall Street positive results than unemployment, Under Oblama the stock market is doing great.

U.S. companies added staff in August at the fastest clip in five months, according to the better-than-expected ADP report, while a gauge of employment in the service sector also improved more than had been anticipated. New weekly claims for jobless benefits fell to the lowest level in a month.

(Reuters) - Stocks closed at multi-year highs on Thursday, with the S&P 500 ending at its highest level since before the collapse of Lehman Brothers as investors hailed a new European bond-buying program aimed at stemming the region's debt crisis.

Wall Street closes at multi-year highs on ECB, data | Reuters

No just looking for the truth and not spin from the fucking corrupt scum sucking politicians.

Thousands of people have seen their benefits end and are not working. Those people are no longer counted as unemployed and you think that the .2% drop is a true representation of the situation.

Fucking moronic sheep.

And the way to make it all better is to put a guy in to the whitehouse who wants to make things more difficult for the poor and middle class while cutting taxes for the rich? That's the plan that makes the most sense to you?

Shouldn't you ask a mod if you can post that?

So let us go back to the last month the GOP policies were in effect. 96,000 created beats 750,000 lost. Because that is what you gave us.

Not surprising tho that the 750,000 loss was recorded AFTER Obama had been elected. That was more than 500,000 than the 240,000 loss for October of that year. Businesses apparently knew what was coming.

Fucking moronic sheep.

Let me rephrase. He doesn't "want to" but his policies will achieve that effect.

Forum List

Back