Elected Office Doesn't Come With A Crown

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
good editorial. People better wake up and see what's happening

Posted 11/17/2010 07:12 PM ET

Change: How out of touch with America is the political left? It's convinced it has the authority to reign. But this country was founded on the idea that the governing was to be done by representatives, not rulers.

Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes tells the Daily Beast that President Obama "has a different belief system than most Americans." Nothing new there, but true nonetheless. Traditions of limited government, individual liberty and free markets are foreign to this president. This is a man who said he wanted to transform America and went about doing so as soon as he took office.

The stinging rebuke he suffered two weeks ago at the midterm elections doesn't mean Obama will slow down. He's being encouraged to stay on his big-government agenda by allies including John Podesta, the Clinton chief of staff who ran Obama's transition team.

Podesta, who now heads a "progressive" think tank that carries heavy weight with the White House, told the media this week that the former community organizer still has an opportunity to "push the country to a better place."

Podesta tried to qualify his remarks, saying Obama must work under the "constraint" of law and the "restraint" of wisdom.

read it all here.
Elected Office Doesn't Come With A Crown - Investors.com

links in article

Snip?

Podesta calls on Obama to circumvent Congress

By Matthew Boyle - The Daily Caller | Published: 2:47 AM 11/17/2010 | Updated: 3:55 AM 11/18/2010

By Matthew Boyle - The Daily Caller
Bio | Archive | Email Matthew Boyle Follow Matthew Boyle

Get Matthew Boyle Feed
Matthew Boyle is a contributing reporter at The Daily Caller.

Former President Bill Clinton’s chief of staff John Podesta, now the head of the Center for American Progress, called on President Obama to push forward with his agenda using federal agencies and executive branch power Tuesday, even though Democrats were dealt a blow in the recent midterm elections. Podesta said the American people want the president to move forward with his agenda.

“I think most of the conversation since the election has been about how President Obama adjusts to the new situation on Capitol Hill,” Podesta said. “While that’s an important conversation, it simply ignores the president’s ability to use all levels of his power and authority to move the country forward.”

Citing his experience in Clinton’s White House after the GOP House takeover of 1994, Podesta said Obama’s administration “can and should take” the specific measures detailed in a report released by the Center for American Progress,

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2010/11/executive_orders.html

“One of the best ways for the Obama administration to achieve results of that nature, in the short term, is through substantial executive authority to make and implement policy,” Podesta said. “As noted in the Constitution and the laws of the United States give the president the ability and the responsibility to act as the chief executive using authorities granted to all presidents such as executive orders, rule-makings, agency management and public-private partnerships.”

Even though he said that he disagreed with why former President George W. Bush went about using them, he defended how the former president used executive actions in a conference call with reporters Tuesday.

read it all here.
Read more: Podesta calls on Obama to circumvent Congress | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Last edited:
Former President Bill Clinton’s chief of staff John Podesta, now the head of the Center for American Progress, called on President Obama to push forward with his agenda using federal agencies and executive branch power Tuesday, even though Democrats were dealt a blow in the recent midterm elections. Podesta said the American people want the president to move forward with his agenda.

“I think most of the conversation since the election has been about how President Obama adjusts to the new situation on Capitol Hill,” Podesta said. “While that’s an important conversation, it simply ignores the president’s ability to use all levels of his power and authority to move the country forward.”

Citing his experience in Clinton’s White House after the GOP House takeover of 1994, Podesta said Obama’s administration “can and should take” the specific measures detailed in a report released by the Center for American Progress, utilizing all the tools at its disposal to circumvent Congress in a way to keep his agenda moving forward."

Read more: Podesta calls on Obama to circumvent Congress | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Help me with this one: would the Army be a 'federal agency'?

Better get those brown shirts out of the closet...

merge with existing thread...Care

Was there a single Executive Decision Bush made that wasn't threatened and obstructed by Democrats? A single Appointment? A single Recess Appointment. What people does Obama have on his side outside the Locker Room? Imaginary People? He is a dangerous Person.

Was there a single Executive Decision Bush made that wasn't threatened and obstructed by Democrats? A single Appointment? A single Recess Appointment. What people does Obama have on his side outside the Locker Room? Imaginary People? He is a dangerous Person.

The OP chides Democrats because one of them is urging President Obama to go forward with his programs in spite of the recent mid-term elections, which would seem to indicate a surge of public opinion against such action by President Obama. So, it would seem, that conservatives feel that President Obama should back off because public opinion has swung against him.

And now here you come, citing the fact that Bush had opposition to his programs as well (which, of course, he did) and conveniently leaving out that Bush went right ahead anyway. Surely no one can accuse Bush of having been shy about going forward with his agenda in spite of the fact that there was opposition to much of it. Remember - the Decider?

Unless I am missing something here, you might want to leave Bush out of the picture when arguing that Obama is a "dangerous person" because he is being advised to go ahead in spite of public opinion to the contrary.

Last edited:

The OP chides Democrats because one of them is urging President Obama to go forward with his programs in spite of the recent mid-term elections, which would seem to indicate a surge of public opinion against such action by President Obama. So, it would seem, that conservatives feel that President Obama should back off because public opinion has swung against him.

And now here you come, citing the fact that Bush had opposition to his programs as well (which, of course, he did) and conveniently leaving out that Bush went right ahead anyway. Surely no one can accuse Bush of having been shy about going forward with his agenda in spite of the fact that there was opposition to much of it. Remember - the Decider?

Unless I am missing something here, you might want to leave Bush out of the picture when arguing that Obama is a "dangerous person" because he is being advised to go ahead in spite of public opinion to the contrary.

bush had a 28% approval rating and acted like he had a mandate.

i love the double standard.

Does nobody on the right know how to fucking read? This is the Introduction And Summary of the report former President Bill Clinton’s chief of staff John Podesta, now the head of the Center for American Progress, spoke on.....

The Power of the President

Kindly show us exactly what portion of the report you feel in any way suggests they are urging Obama to use the US military on US soil?

Yanno, there is a worthy convo we all might could have had about the proper use of Executive Orders and the limits on Executive Powers. However, since y'all decided to jump to bizarre-o conclusions and act like a bunch of hysterical girls, I hardly feel any of you will be willing or able to now retreat, re-read and come back to this thread ready to have an actual adult convo on actual facts.

I'm more'n willing to be surprised, but I ain't holding my breath.

Authoritarianism is OK as long as it's your guy for too many.

In my book, the only authoritarianism that is OK is a description of it in textbooks. (Well, and my becoming benevolent dictator in my own personal musings.)

http://dailycaller.com/2010/11/17/podesta-calls-on-obama-to-circumvent-congress/#ixzz15lwHByM5
http://dailycaller.com/2010/11/17/podesta-calls-on-obama-to-circumvent-congress/#ixzz15lwHByM5

Much ado about nothing.

Yes.

Iraqi invasion, Patriot Act?

Remember those?

links in article

Snip?

Podesta calls on Obama to circumvent Congress

By Matthew Boyle - The Daily Caller | Published: 2:47 AM 11/17/2010 | Updated: 3:55 AM 11/18/2010

By Matthew Boyle - The Daily Caller
Bio | Archive | Email Matthew Boyle Follow Matthew Boyle

Get Matthew Boyle Feed
Matthew Boyle is a contributing reporter at The Daily Caller.

Citing his experience in Clinton’s White House after the GOP House takeover of 1994, Podesta said Obama’s administration “can and should take” the specific measures detailed in a report released by the Center for American Progress,

“One of the best ways for the Obama administration to achieve results of that nature, in the short term, is through substantial executive authority to make and implement policy,” Podesta said. “As noted in the Constitution and the laws of the United States give the president the ability and the responsibility to act as the chief executive using authorities granted to all presidents such as executive orders, rule-makings, agency management and public-private partnerships.”

Even though he said that he disagreed with why former President George W. Bush went about using them, he defended how the former president used executive actions in a conference call with reporters Tuesday.

read it all here.

So...they're suggesting that the POTUS legislate by FIAT? Just as some judges legislate from the bench?

Imagine that? Just another example to bolster the notion that Statist/Progressives cannot be trusted at the helm of self-governance of the people.

Let them try. it'll be the last few nails in their political coffins driven in by themselves.

Does nobody on the right know how to fucking read? This is the Introduction And Summary of the report former President Bill Clinton’s chief of staff John Podesta, now the head of the Center for American Progress, spoke on.....

Kindly show us exactly what portion of the report you feel in any way suggests they are urging Obama to use the US military on US soil?

Yanno, there is a worthy convo we all might could have had about the proper use of Executive Orders and the limits on Executive Powers. However, since y'all decided to jump to bizarre-o conclusions and act like a bunch of hysterical girls, I hardly feel any of you will be willing or able to now retreat, re-read and come back to this thread ready to have an actual adult convo on actual facts.

I'm more'n willing to be surprised, but I ain't holding my breath.

Don't you know how to read???

"push forward with his agenda using federal agencies and executive branch power "

Now, let's make believe tha you were less than a partisan, and actually cared to put together phrases such as the above, and 'circumvent Congress..."

Or, better yet, since objectivity is clearly not in your ken, let's make beleive that you were seeing this advice come from a Repub during the Bush administration.

Care to play?

"adult convo on actual facts"

Either you are not as bright as I believe you to be, or you are using a hackneyed debating ploy: if the facts are there, assault the messenger...if it requires connecting the dots, pretend you cannot....

Weak.

bush had a 28% approval rating and acted like he had a mandate.

i love the double standard.

So....which admin official proposed that he 'circumvent Congress' using all federal agencies?
The Army is a federal agency.

Care to actually refer to the OP?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back