CDZ Education Reform

I think a failing educational system is a symptom of a failing economy. First fix the economic outlook for the masses and then you can start to realize a positive trend in many of our social ills, not just education.

A good economy comes after good education. Not before.

I think a failing educational system is a symptom of a failing economy. First fix the economic outlook for the masses and then you can start to realize a positive trend in many of our social ills, not just education.

A good economy comes after good education. Not before.
Based on GDP there is no economy better than America's. But that doesn't translate to what you are saying. According to you, our educational system should also be the best. But that is not the case as you well know. There is a disparity in the economic realities among our people. And that disparity can be seen in our educational achievements. Those that benefit more from the American economy, have kids that benefit more from the educational system. And vice versa.

The widening academic achievement gap between the rich and the poor: New evidence and possible explanations | Center for Education Policy Analysis

Based on GDP there is no economy better than America's. But that doesn't translate to what you are saying.

False premise. I don't measure economic health by GDP.

Well then please share what measure you use.

Sustainability, self sufficiency, individual liberty, living conditions, and public health.
I have news for you. In America people survive on dollars. And those that have them seem to have an easier time getting educated than those without.

The United States has many of the world's finest centers of education.

I went to several American public schools and they were all terrible. Schools in all the districts I went to were shut down due to poor financial management and low testing scores. When I was considering moving to upper education, the high costs and nonsensical curriculums of community college made me instantly disregard the notion.

Judging by the cold hard data and my own personal experience, I'd say American education is pretty piss poor.

I wouldn't say Americans are f-ing retards, that's a pretty elitist thought pattern.

But one of our main problem is we equate more money with better education, this obviously is not at all true, since we spend more per student than any other country out there. Another is teacher unions, despite you're thoughts on unions in general, teacher unions admittedly fight for the teachers not the students. Some people make the mistake of fighting for teachers is the same as fighting for students, it isn't. Teachers unions also have a lot of power since if they decide to go on strike, that negatively effects everyone's kids, and nobody wants that. They also make up a powerful voting block, and contribute a lot to political campaigns. Another problem is centralizing education, making it a top down type of thing, curriculum, methods, and programming all coming from the top. A one size fits all, is not good policy. Let different schools try different things, and see whose got the best results, emulate and then improve on those techniques. Another issue is we put way too much emphasis on standardize testing, and our teachers are now spending a lot of time teaching to the tests, when they should be teaching students how to think, not necessarily what to think.

I wouldn't say Americans are f-ing retards, that's a pretty elitist thought pattern.

I think of it as a pretty correct observation.

Even if it were, is it better for them to take on the responsibility and consequences of their own retardedness, so that they might learn to not make that retarded decision? Or should we keep expanding the safety net to catch you when you make retarded decisions?

The ancient Egyptians/Romans/Chinese etc. believed in some crazy, stupid, shit...they also accomplished a hell of a lot stunning feats, and with maybe a quarter of the knowledge as we have today, while using very primitive technology. I wouldn't call them stupid. I wouldn't call the overall population today stupid, maybe too comfortable letting other people decide what's what for them, but not stupid.

I have news for you. In America people survive on dollars. And those that have them seem to have an easier time getting educated than those without.
Correct. Although a merit-based system has problems, do you have a better system to offer?

Why is it that Asian kids go to the same public schools that everyone else does but they graduate with a better education?
In America? Link?

Asians are known for their discipline so some Asians even aboard keep the attitude which is why they stereotypically make good students.

Why is it that Asian kids go to the same public schools that everyone else does but they graduate with a better education?
In America? Link?

Asians are known for their discipline so some Asians even aboard keep the attitude which is why they stereotypically make good students.

A growing achievement gap between Asian American students and their white classmates is due largely to greater work effort and cultural attitudes, not innate cognitive ability, researchers say.

In a study published Monday in the journal PNAS, two sociology professors found that Asian Americans enter school with no clear academic edge over whites, but that an advantage grows over time.

Even if they come from poorer, less educated families, Asian Americans significantly outperform white students by fifth grade, authors wrote.

"What accounts for Asians' greater academic effort than whites?" asked study authors Amy Hsin of Queens College in New York and Yu Xie of the University of Michigan.

"Asian and Asian American youth are harder working because of cultural beliefs that emphasize the strong connection between effort and achievement," the authors wrote. "Studies show that Asian and Asian American students tend to view cognitive abilities as qualities that can be developed through effort, whereas white Americans tend to view cognitive abilities as qualities that are inborn."
Prior studies have found that Asian Americans get higher grades and score higher on standardized test scores when compared to white students. They are also more likely to finish high school and attend college.
Previous explanations for this phenomenon have included family socio-demographic characteristics, natural cognitive skills and academic effort.
The authors wrote that family wealth was not a factor in performance.

Study examines achievement gap between Asian American, white students

Last edited:
In America? Link?

A growing achievement gap between Asian American students and their white classmates is due largely to greater work effort and cultural attitudes, not innate cognitive ability, researchers say.

In a study published Monday in the journal PNAS, two sociology professors found that Asian Americans enter school with no clear academic edge over whites, but that an advantage grows over time.

Even if they come from poorer, less educated families, Asian Americans significantly outperform white students by fifth grade, authors wrote.

"What accounts for Asians' greater academic effort than whites?" asked study authors Amy Hsin of Queens College in New York and Yu Xie of the University of Michigan.

"Asian and Asian American youth are harder working because of cultural beliefs that emphasize the strong connection between effort and achievement," the authors wrote. "Studies show that Asian and Asian American students tend to view cognitive abilities as qualities that can be developed through effort, whereas white Americans tend to view cognitive abilities as qualities that are inborn."
Prior studies have found that Asian Americans get higher grades and score higher on standardized test scores when compared to white students. They are also more likely to finish high school and attend college.
Previous explanations for this phenomenon have included family socio-demographic characteristics, natural cognitive skills and academic effort.
The authors wrote that family wealth was not a factor in performance.

Study examines achievement gap between Asian American, white students

So - it may not simply be a question of money - or the quality of the school or the teachers.

Forum List

Back