CDZ Education Reform

Onyx

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2015
I believe America has terrible education (obviously), but I also understand good education is something most Americans care a lot about.

What ideas do you have to improve education?

I believe America has terrible education (obviously), but I also understand good education is something most Americans care a lot about.

The United States has many of the world's finest centers of education. Much better than the Third World shithole pits of indoctrination all the former Soviet satellite states have.

What the US does have is a disparity between those counties with a high tax-base capable of paying for the finest schools and those counties with a very low tax-base where schools are often old and students have to share outdated textbooks.

Can you identify what it is that makes the education appear terrible?

Thanks.

The United States has many of the world's finest centers of education.

I went to several American public schools and they were all terrible. Schools in all the districts I went to were shut down due to poor financial management and low testing scores. When I was considering moving to upper education, the high costs and nonsensical curriculums of community college made me instantly disregard the notion.

Judging by the cold hard data and my own personal experience, I'd say American education is pretty piss poor.

If you can't figure it out for yourself, then you are part of the problem.

Stop programs like "No Child Left Behind". Eliminate Common Core. Break the unions. Make teacher salaries competitive based on the standardized testing results of their students.
Those a just a few.

I would eliminate the US Dept. of Education first. Provide block grants to the states instead. The block grants would be used partially to fund a fallback public system and a voucher program for use in private or charter schools. This would ensure little po-kids would still get a quality education and not be left behind and at the same time, give parents a choice in education. The public schools would be forced to compete with the private schools in terms of quality. More expensive private schools would become a viable option for many middle-income families due to the voucher.

Even though there would be a conceivable difference in the educational standards from school to school, the state would still maintain certain minimal requirements and standards for education.

I believe this would dramatically improve education. Currently, the main problem with public education is there isn't a competitive motivation. They simply move children through the system without regard for how well they are doing at actually educating them. No one holds them accountable, no consequences for poor results. Burned out teachers gain tenure and can't be fired, they just sit there for years failing to do their jobs and our children suffer. We keep pouring money down this rat hole and education continues to worsen. It's time to try something new.

Remember that Iran military thread. Let me help things along the same way.

In the micro sense I felt my education was hit and miss but a good education was there for the pro-active kid to take but I don't think my micro experience invalidates yours nor yours mine.

So lets start big picture. What are your goal posts for terrible?

Unfortunately, some of what I think is necessary to improve educational outcomes among America's student body cannot be statutorily stipulated, though some of it can.

What I think needs to happen:
  1. Parents need to take a far more active role in helping their kids master the content taught in the classroom.
    • Reinforcing study skills and then making sure their kids apply them.
    • Study with their children if/when the kid struggles with the subject matter.
  2. Introduce more subjectivity into the way teachers are evaluated. As much as we might want everything about measuring how well teachers teach, we have to accept that at the end of the day, education is not like force feeding a comatose patient. One can be the best teacher in the world, but if a kid doesn't do his/her part to learn the material, it won't matter how good the teacher is.

There is no objective measurement approach that can tell administrators that Teacher X is more effective at catalyzing, inspiring and helping students learn. Test scores and the like are poor surrogates for assessing how good a teacher is at the "soft skills" that are key to educating others.
  3. Rather than using the "grease the squeaky wheel," approach to doling out education resources, switch to the "build upon and reward success" approach and make it clear to parents that is what one is doing. I suspect that doing so will go a long way to catalyzing the parental behavior noted above in #1.
  4. Lengthen the school day so that it "fits" with the typical workday.
  5. Change the grading and matriculation model:
    • Use the seven point grading scale with plus/minus qualifiers:
    • 93-100 --> A (93-94 = A-; 94 - 96 = A; 97 - 100 = A+)
    • 85-92 --> B
    • 78-84 --> C (78 - 79 = C-; 80 - 82 = C; 83 - 84 = C+)
    • 70-77 --> D
    • 69 --> F
    • Make a "C" the minimum passing grade for assignments and matriculation
    • Stop advancing kids to the next grade when they really aren't ready.
  6. Design assignments so that students are rewarded in accordance with their demonstrated comprehension of the material, not in accordance with their ability to "regurgitate" information or replicate a pattern.

You simply have to make kids willing to learn. If you spend all the classroom time teaching them the test and they are not interested in what the test covers, then they are not learning. At best, they are memorizing. If you do not carve out things in the curriculum that excites the students so that they learn how to learn, you are wasting your time.

I think school hours should be significantly shortened, and there should be more focus on learning practical skills.

The United States has many of the world's finest centers of education. Much better than the Third World shithole pits of indoctrination all the former Soviet satellite states have.

What the US does have is a disparity between those counties with a high tax-base capable of paying for the finest schools and those counties with a very low tax-base where schools are often old and students have to share outdated textbooks.

Some of the finest, and yet in mass education poor.

Forum List

Back