EDITORIAL: What I Said When My White Friend Asked for My Black Opinion on White Privilege

I made it to number ten of little miss snowflake's list of minor inconveniences she's faced and blown out of proportion until my tolerance for petty bullshit reached it's limit.

She's blown nothing out of proportion. Until you turn black and live you can't dispute one thing she has said.

Tried my white privilege card the other day...
The discount isn't as much as one would believe.View attachment 257461

Denial is all part of it. Now go on and talk to the white person who determined this and talk to her about your white privilege card.
Damned if I know how you tell the difference between "white privilege" and black failure.

I don't know anything about black failure. But what I see is a failing white system built on racism.
If blacks aren't failing, the world over in fact, why do you whine and try so desperately to portray yourself as a victim? Is it perhaps that such behavior and getting free stuff is considered success in your culture while the rest of the world views it as abject failure?

Her 2nd reason...

2. When my older sister was 5, a white boy named Mark called her a “******” after she beat him in a race at school. She didn’t know what it meant but in her gut, she knew it was bad. This was the first time I’d seen my father the kind of angry that has nowhere to go. I somehow understood it was because not only had some boy verbally assaulted his daughter and had gotten away with it, it had way too early introduced her (and me) to that term and the reality of what it meant – that some white people would be cruel and careless with black people’s feelings just because of our skin color. Or our achievement. If it’s unclear in any way, the point here is if you’ve NEVER had a defining moment in your childhood or your life, where you realize your skin color alone makes other people hate you, you have white privilege.

Assault?

LOL

Denial is all part of it. Now go on and talk to the white person who determined this and talk to her about your white privilege card.
Damned if I know how you tell the difference between "white privilege" and black failure.

I don't know anything about black failure. But what I see is a failing white system built on racism.
If blacks aren't failing, the world over in fact, why do you whine and try so desperately to portray yourself as a victim? Is it perhaps that such behavior and getting free stuff is considered success in your culture while the rest of the world views it as abject failure?

What I see are cultures ruined by white interference and how whites created and maintain conflict by dividing the people in those countries. In America you whites are crying about how government is broken meaning the white system has failed. You repeat rhetoric that has nothing to do with what blacks are doing because it's the only way you can feel good about yourselves as you see the systems that you created fail. Whites are the one who consider taking stuff that is not theirs by violence and/or deception as success in your culture. That's what getting free stuff is and it is how whites have everything they have.

This editorial is in response to a white person who could not understand the concept of white privilege. Why that person decided to ask a black person about it instead of the white person who created the concept once again shows ignorance of an issue and a willingness by some whites to dismiss any thought that perhaps whites have been the prime beneficiary of racial preferences.

EDITORIAL: What I Said When My White Friend Asked for My Black Opinion on White Privilege
loriprofilepic.jpg

by Lori Lakin Hutcherson, GBN Editor-in-Chief

Yesterday I was tagged in a post by an old high school friend, asking me and a few others a very public, direct question about white privilege and racism. I feel compelled not only to publish his query but also my response to it, as it may be a helpful discourse for more than just a handful of folks on Facebook.

Here’s his post:

“To all of my Black or mixed race FB friends, I must profess a blissful ignorance of this “White Privilege” of which I’m apparently guilty of possessing. By not being able to fully put myself in the shoes of someone from a background/race/religion/gender/ nationality/body type that differs from my own makes me part of the problem, according to what I’m now hearing. Despite my treating everyone with respect and humor my entire life (as far as I know), I’m somehow complicit in the misfortune of others. I’m not saying I’m colorblind, but whatever racism/sexism/other -ism my life experience has instilled in me stays within me, and is not manifested in the way I treat others (which is not the case with far too many, I know).

So that I may be enlightened, can you please share with me some examples of institutional racism that have made an indelible mark upon you? If I am to understand this, I need people I know personally to show me how I’m missing what’s going on. Personal examples only. I’m not trying to be insensitive, I only want to understand (but not from the media). I apologize if this comes off as crass or offends anyone.”

Here’s my response:

Thank you for this.!! I'm an old white guy living- as I have had most of my life- in the North East. While I have been aware of my white privilege to some degree, this article was an eye opener and definitely enhanced by understanding of what it means

I will share one memory of being the recipient of white privilege. I was a major fuck up in high school and barley squeaked by. I was defiantly not college bound and my options were limited. I applied for a job in a local factory and was hired, expecting that I would be on the assembly line or sweeping floors, as the other applicants, mostly back and brown people were.

However, I was assigned tp a special section called the "Sample Unit" where I assisted experienced mechanics is building and testing business machines. Time doing tedious, repetitious work was minimal. Part of the job was to travel with the crew to upscale offices in the Wall Street area in New York to service these machines. Ya think that they wanted black kids there ?? LOL . They even sent me out of state on my own to oversee the installation of a system there with less than a year on the job and no formal training. I fucked the job up but that's another story. In closing, I will say that people like oddball are fucking idiots and a stain on society

Last edited:

What I see are cultures ruined by white interference and how whites created and maintain conflict by dividing the people in those countries. In America you whites are crying about how government is broken meaning the white system has failed. You repeat rhetoric that has nothing to do with what blacks are doing because it's the only way you can feel good about yourselves as you see the systems that you created fail. Whites are the one who consider taking stuff that is not theirs by violence and/or deception as success in your culture. That's what getting free stuff is and it is how whites have everything they have.
OK. At least now you're consistent and agree that "white privilege" is indeed nothing more than black failure .

OK. At least now you're consistent and agree that "white privilege" is indeed nothing more than black failure .
That is moronic! And this is coming from a white guy!

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Maybe, but you're a fag.

Maybe, but you're a fag.
Brilliant! Just fucking brilliant! Thank you so much for that deeply thoughtful response to an important topic. You are an intellectual powerhouse and a real assets to the level of academic discourse on the USMB . LOL Not really. Grow the fuck up moron!!

This editorial is in response to a white person who could not understand the concept of white privilege. Why that person decided to ask a black person about it instead of the white person who created the concept once again shows ignorance of an issue and a willingness by some whites to dismiss any thought that perhaps whites have been the prime beneficiary of racial preferences.

loriprofilepic.jpg

by Lori Lakin Hutcherson, GBN Editor-in-Chief

Yesterday I was tagged in a post by an old high school friend, asking me and a few others a very public, direct question about white privilege and racism. I feel compelled not only to publish his query but also my response to it, as it may be a helpful discourse for more than just a handful of folks on Facebook.

Here’s his post:

“To all of my Black or mixed race FB friends, I must profess a blissful ignorance of this “White Privilege” of which I’m apparently guilty of possessing. By not being able to fully put myself in the shoes of someone from a background/race/religion/gender/ nationality/body type that differs from my own makes me part of the problem, according to what I’m now hearing. Despite my treating everyone with respect and humor my entire life (as far as I know), I’m somehow complicit in the misfortune of others. I’m not saying I’m colorblind, but whatever racism/sexism/other -ism my life experience has instilled in me stays within me, and is not manifested in the way I treat others (which is not the case with far too many, I know).

So that I may be enlightened, can you please share with me some examples of institutional racism that have made an indelible mark upon you? If I am to understand this, I need people I know personally to show me how I’m missing what’s going on. Personal examples only. I’m not trying to be insensitive, I only want to understand (but not from the media). I apologize if this comes off as crass or offends anyone.”

Here’s my response:

Wow. She really has an enormous chip on her shoulder - and I bet she let's everyone know about it all of the time.

Maybe, but you're a fag.
Brilliant! Just fucking brilliant! Thank you so much for that deeply thoughtful response to an important topic. You are an intellectual powerhouse and a real assets to the level of academic discourse on the USMB . LOL Not really. Grow the fuck up moron!!
You're not a fag?! You seem to stick to fag topics like teaching kids about butt sex in a recent thread. Strange!

I made it to number ten of little miss snowflake's list of minor inconveniences she's faced and blown out of proportion until my tolerance for petty bullshit reached it's limit.
So you do agree that what she gave account to that happened to her was bad, but to you it just wasn't THAT bad, correct?

• Thanks
The author's third out of ten accounts....

3. Sophomore year of high school. I had Mr. Melrose for Algebra 2. Some time within the first few weeks of class, he points out that I’m “the only spook” in the class. This was meant to be funny. It wasn’t. So, I doubt it will surprise you I was relieved when he took medical leave after suffering a heart attack and was replaced by a sub for the rest of the semester. The point here is if you’ve never been ‘the only one’ of your race in a class, at a party, on a job, etc. and/or it’s been pointed out in a “playful” fashion by the authority figure in said situation – you have white privilege.

So you do agree that what she gave account to that happened to her was bad, but to you it just wasn't THAT bad, correct?

Some kids threw rocks in her pool, and one of her co-workers thought she was a bitch.

Is this racism?

Is this really something worth writing an article about? Worth tearing down an entire nation and a cultural legacy over?

Some kids threw rocks in her pool, and one of her co-workers thought she was a bitch.

Is this racism?

Is this really something worth writing an article about? Worth tearing down an entire nation and a cultural legacy over?
Talk about "blow out of proportion!"

tenor.gif

LOL!!!

The author's third out of ten accounts....

3. Sophomore year of high school. I had Mr. Melrose for Algebra 2. Some time within the first few weeks of class, he points out that I’m “the only spook” in the class. This was meant to be funny. It wasn’t. So, I doubt it will surprise you I was relieved when he took medical leave after suffering a heart attack and was replaced by a sub for the rest of the semester. The point here is if you’ve never been ‘the only one’ of your race in a class, at a party, on a job, etc. and/or it’s been pointed out in a “playful” fashion by the authority figure in said situation – you have white privilege.
You know....I made a prediction before reading the article (waiting for it to load) that it was going to be a polite, well- written editorial meant to initiate dialog and not to point fingers.........and that it would be attacked attacked attacked.

I was right on both counts.

4 of 10...

4. When we started getting our college acceptances senior year, I remember some white male classmates pissed that another black classmate had gotten into UCLA while they didn’t. They said that affirmative action had given him “their spot” and it wasn’t fair. An actual friend of theirs. Who’d worked his ass off. The point here is if you’ve never been on the receiving end of the assumption that when you’ve achieved something it’s only because it was taken away from a white person who “deserved it”that is white privilege.

Maybe, but you're a fag.
You're not a fag?! You seem to stick to fag topics like teaching kids about butt sex in a recent thread. Strange!
Get the fuck out of here jackass! This is an adult discussion.

• Thanks

Forum List

Back