EDITORIAL: What I Said When My White Friend Asked for My Black Opinion on White Privilege

This editorial is in response to a white person who could not understand the concept of white privilege. Why that person decided to ask a black person about it instead of the white person who created the concept once again shows ignorance of an issue and a willingness by some whites to dismiss any thought that perhaps whites have been the prime beneficiary of racial preferences.

EDITORIAL: What I Said When My White Friend Asked for My Black Opinion on White Privilege
loriprofilepic.jpg

by Lori Lakin Hutcherson, GBN Editor-in-Chief

Yesterday I was tagged in a post by an old high school friend, asking me and a few others a very public, direct question about white privilege and racism. I feel compelled not only to publish his query but also my response to it, as it may be a helpful discourse for more than just a handful of folks on Facebook.

Here’s his post:

“To all of my Black or mixed race FB friends, I must profess a blissful ignorance of this “White Privilege” of which I’m apparently guilty of possessing. By not being able to fully put myself in the shoes of someone from a background/race/religion/gender/ nationality/body type that differs from my own makes me part of the problem, according to what I’m now hearing. Despite my treating everyone with respect and humor my entire life (as far as I know), I’m somehow complicit in the misfortune of others. I’m not saying I’m colorblind, but whatever racism/sexism/other -ism my life experience has instilled in me stays within me, and is not manifested in the way I treat others (which is not the case with far too many, I know).

So that I may be enlightened, can you please share with me some examples of institutional racism that have made an indelible mark upon you? If I am to understand this, I need people I know personally to show me how I’m missing what’s going on. Personal examples only. I’m not trying to be insensitive, I only want to understand (but not from the media). I apologize if this comes off as crass or offends anyone.”

Here’s my response:

Excellent article by Miss Larkin, spot on.

I have to admit I never realized not being in prison or having a criminal record was a privilege.

At least 95 percent of all blacks meet that criteria. However whites commit more crimes and it's been proven that blacks get convicted for crimes whites don't.

That's white privilege son.

Why can't it just be black inadequacy?
Whites have nothing to do with it.

Because racism in the criminal justice system has been proven. So whites DO have something to do with it.

When I first read the title of the thread, I thought IM2 was saying he had a white friend.

Everyone here knows that's an impossibility. ... :lol: :lol:

I guess I married my enemy .
You arent even good at being a racist LOL what a fuckin loser

That's because I'm not a racist you stupid motherfucker.
Lol and i was born on venus, you lying dumbfuck

You're the first person from Venus I have ever spoken to.

This editorial is in response to a white person who could not understand the concept of white privilege. Why that person decided to ask a black person about it instead of the white person who created the concept once again shows ignorance of an issue and a willingness by some whites to dismiss any thought that perhaps whites have been the prime beneficiary of racial preferences.

loriprofilepic.jpg

Yesterday I was tagged in a post by an old high school friend, asking me and a few others a very public, direct question about white privilege and racism. I feel compelled not only to publish his query but also my response to it, as it may be a helpful discourse for more than just a handful of folks on Facebook.

Here’s his post:

“To all of my Black or mixed race FB friends, I must profess a blissful ignorance of this “White Privilege” of which I’m apparently guilty of possessing. By not being able to fully put myself in the shoes of someone from a background/race/religion/gender/ nationality/body type that differs from my own makes me part of the problem, according to what I’m now hearing. Despite my treating everyone with respect and humor my entire life (as far as I know), I’m somehow complicit in the misfortune of others. I’m not saying I’m colorblind, but whatever racism/sexism/other -ism my life experience has instilled in me stays within me, and is not manifested in the way I treat others (which is not the case with far too many, I know).

So that I may be enlightened, can you please share with me some examples of institutional racism that have made an indelible mark upon you? If I am to understand this, I need people I know personally to show me how I’m missing what’s going on. Personal examples only. I’m not trying to be insensitive, I only want to understand (but not from the media). I apologize if this comes off as crass or offends anyone.”

Here’s my response:

hqdefault.jpg

Tried my white privilege card the other day...
The discount isn't as much as one would believe.View attachment 257461

Denial is all part of it. Now go on and talk to the white person who determined this and talk to her about your white privilege card.

When I first read the title of the thread, I thought IM2 was saying he had a white friend.

Everyone here knows that's an impossibility. ... :lol: :lol:

I guess I married my enemy .
You arent even good at being a racist LOL what a fuckin loser

That's because I'm not a racist you stupid motherfucker.

No? Then you're just plain fucking nuts

A bunch of racists calling me a racist because I call them out on their racism is not racist.

Denial is all part of it. Now go on and talk to the white person who determined this and talk to her about your white privilege card.
Calling the premise pure bullshit is not denial. That white person and her self imposed guilt doesn't speak for me.

loriprofilepic.jpg

Here’s his post:

Here’s my response:

hqdefault.jpg

Of course you don't care. You're happy to be given unearned things. That is your history.

Calling the premise pure bullshit is not denial. That white person and her self imposed guilt doesn't speak for me.

It's denial. There is no such thing as white guilt and apparently you are happy with being given free stuff.

White privilege demonstration. It's real.
Having 2 parents is a privilege.

Learning self reliance is a privilege.

Being taught honor, decency, morality, and generosity is a privilege.

Learning to earn your way by your deeds is a privilege.

Not growing up in a Democrat run shit-hole is a privilege.

Being taught you are equal, and don't need racist Government programs to succeed is a privilege.

Damned if I know how you tell the difference between "white privilege" and black failure.

Last edited:

It's denial. There is no such thing as white guilt and apparently you are happy with being given free stuff.
What free stuff?
Sorry, but your tiresome crying is falling on deaf ears.
:blahblah:
To feel bad about unearned privilege one would be required to feel guilt....moron.

loriprofilepic.jpg

Here’s his post:

Here’s my response:

hqdefault.jpg

Of course you don't care. You're happy to be given unearned things. That is your history.

What "Unearned" things? LOL

The same trolls telling the same lies to themselves. The same racists who post all kinds of racist comments about blacks whining about blacks posting up examples of white racism. This is what white supremacy has done to whites that practice it, create feeble infantile thinking. "We get to post racism all we want, but it's unfair for you to call us racists."

Because racism in the criminal justice system has been proven. So whites DO have something to do with it.
The Justice system is imperfect, but not systemically racist.

About 90% of felons grew up fatherless.

The main reason there are so many blacks in jail is because there are so many black criminals.

This is a direct result of Democrat/Liberal policies that were designed to put a large portion of Black Americans into an underclass that would depend on Government programs for survival.

Black Chicago residents aren't suffering from White Privilege. They're suffering from generations of voluntary slavery to the Democrat Party.

Forum List

Back