Ebonics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree you are the personification of ignorance and the poster boy for the uneducated. I also agree with your assertion that Ebonics is a language in its own right. Thanks for your agreement even though it was not needed.

I realize you are nothing but a troll, but even you should be able to grasp how ineffectual your posts are. If your goal is to be a fool - you have succeeded.
I agree you are troll and ineffective at everything besides sniffing your hand after you scratch your ass. I agree your goal is to be a uneducated clown and you have succeeded in your endeavor to make everyone mock you.
Perfect example of an innefectual argument. It's the sort of rebuttal you would expect from a child.
This is a perfect example of a retarded argument. Its the sort of rebuttal you would expect from a monkey. Do you want a banana now?

I agree you are the personification of ignorance and the poster boy for the uneducated. I also agree with your assertion that Ebonics is a language in its own right. Thanks for your agreement even though it was not needed.

I realize you are nothing but a troll, but even you should be able to grasp how ineffectual your posts are. If your goal is to be a fool - you have succeeded.
I agree you are troll and ineffective at everything besides sniffing your hand after you scratch your ass. I agree your goal is to be a uneducated clown and you have succeeded in your endeavor to make everyone mock you.
Perfect example of an innefectual argument. It's the sort of rebuttal you would expect from a child.
Or a black boy.

This is a perfect example of a retarded argument. Its the sort of rebuttal you would expect from a monkey. Do you want a banana now?
Since you have to ape my posts, I guess that makes YOU the monkey, plus your black, so that helps.

Since you have to ape my posts, I guess that makes YOU the monkey, plus your black, so that helps.
I agree you are a ape. Youre boring me now diluted melanin monkey.

Last edited:
"Ebonics pronunciations are all systematic, the result of regular rules and restrictions; they are not random 'error'--and this is equally true of Ebonics grammar. For instance, Ebonics speakers regularly produce sentences without present tense is and are, as in "John trippin" or "They allright". But they don't omit present tense am. Instead of the ungrammatical *"Ah walkin", Ebonics speakers would say *"Ahm walkin." Likewise, they do not omit is and are if they come at the end of a sentence--"That's what he/they" is ungrammatical. Many members of the public seem to have heard, too, that Ebonics speakers use an 'invariant' be in their speech (as in "They be goin to school every day"); however, this be is not simply equivalent to is or are. Invariant be refers to actions that occur regularly or habitually rather than on just one occasion."

What is Ebonics African American English Linguistic Society of America

"Where did Ebonics come from?
On this point, linguists are quite divided. Some emphasize its English origins, pointing to the fact that most of the vocabulary of Ebonics is from English and that much of its pronunciation (e.g. pronouncing final th as f) and grammar (e.g. double negatives, "I don't want none") could have come from the nonstandard dialects of English indentured servants and other workers with whom African slaves interacted.

Others emphasize Ebonics' African origins, noting that West African languages often lack th sounds and final consonant clusters (e.g. past), and that replacing or simplifying these occurs both in US Ebonics and in West African English varieties spoken in Nigeria and Ghana. Moreover, they argue that the distinction made between completed actions ("He done walked") and habitual actions ("We be walkin") in the Ebonics tense-aspect system reflects their prevalence in West African language systems and that this applies to other aspects of Ebonics sentence structure.

Other linguists are drawn to the similarities between Ebonics and Caribbean Creole English varieties, for instance, the fact that both frequently drop is and are , and that both permit dropping word initial d, b, and g in tense-aspect markers (Caribbean examples include habitual/progressive (d)a, past tense (b)en, and future (g)on). These traits suggest that some varieties of American Ebonics might have undergone the kinds of simplification and mixture associated with Creole formation in the Caribbean and elsewhere. They might also suggest that American Ebonics was shaped by the high proportions of Creole-speaking slaves that were imported from the Caribbean in the earliest settlement periods of the thirteen original colonies.

Arguments about and evidence on the origins issue continue to be brought forth. A relatively new 'historical' issue has emerged in recent years: Is Ebonics converging with or diverging from other vernacular varieties of American English? One thing is for sure: This dynamic, distinctive variety--thoroughly intertwined with African American history and linked in many ways with African American literature, education, and social life--is one of the most extensively studied and discussed varieties of American English and it will probably continue to be so for many years to come."

On this point, linguists are quite divided. Some emphasize its English origins, pointing to the fact that most of the vocabulary of Ebonics is from English and that much of its pronunciation (e.g. pronouncing final th as f) and grammar (e.g. double negatives, "I don't want none") could have come from the nonstandard dialects of English indentured servants and other workers with whom African slaves interacted.

Others emphasize Ebonics' African origins, noting that West African languages often lack th sounds and final consonant clusters (e.g. past), and that replacing or simplifying these occurs both in US Ebonics and in West African English varieties spoken in Nigeria and Ghana. Moreover, they argue that the distinction made between completed actions ("He done walked") and habitual actions ("We be walkin") in the Ebonics tense-aspect system reflects their prevalence in West African language systems and that this applies to other aspects of Ebonics sentence structure.

Other linguists are drawn to the similarities between Ebonics and Caribbean Creole English varieties, for instance, the fact that both frequently drop is and are , and that both permit dropping word initial d, b, and g in tense-aspect markers (Caribbean examples include habitual/progressive (d)a, past tense (b)en, and future (g)on). These traits suggest that some varieties of American Ebonics might have undergone the kinds of simplification and mixture associated with Creole formation in the Caribbean and elsewhere. They might also suggest that American Ebonics was shaped by the high proportions of Creole-speaking slaves that were imported from the Caribbean in the earliest settlement periods of the thirteen original colonies.

Arguments about and evidence on the origins issue continue to be brought forth. A relatively new 'historical' issue has emerged in recent years: Is Ebonics converging with or diverging from other vernacular varieties of American English? One thing is for sure: This dynamic, distinctive variety--thoroughly intertwined with African American history and linked in many ways with African American literature, education, and social life--is one of the most extensively studied and discussed varieties of American English and it will probably continue to be so for many years to come."

Blacks learned "ebonics" from Southern whites.

The Origins Of Black American English Ebonics And History Chancellorfiles

Again, "On this point, linguists are quite divided."

Only the english part. The english part was from poor uneducated whites. The rest of it is pure African. See the Gullah people for more context.

Only the english part. The english part was from poor uneducated whites. The rest of it is pure African. See the Gullah people for more context.
Nope, not even one word of "African" in ebonics. Its just mispronounced English, mixed in with tons of grammatical errors. They only call it ebonics to spare the feelings of morons who speak poorly.

Nope, not even one word of "African" in ebonics. Its just mispronounced English, mixed in with tons of grammatical errors. They only call it ebonics to spare the feelings of morons who speak poorly.

LSA Resolution on the Oakland Ebonics Issue Linguistic Society of America

"The variety known as "Ebonics," "African American Vernacular English" (AAVE), and "Vernacular Black English" and by other names is systematic and rule-governed like all natural speech varieties. In fact, all human linguistic systems—spoken, signed, and written—are fundamentally regular. The systematic and expressive nature of the grammar and pronunciation patterns of the African American vernacular has been established by numerous scientific studies over the past thirty years. Characterizations of Ebonics as "slang," "mutant," " lazy," "defective," "ungrammatical," or "broken English" are incorrect and demeaning."

Amen to that. Ebonics is PC for dumbshit-speak.

Amen to that. Ebonics is PC for dumbshit-speak.

If that were the case, you'd be fluent.

Ebonics = ignorance.

Southern hill billy crackernese the height of ignorance and inbreeding

New study shows how some Americans start to associate a Southern accents with lack of intelligence as early as AGE FIVE

New study shows how some Americans start to associate a Southern accents with lack of intelligence as early as AGE FIVEck of intelligence as early as AGE FIVE Daily Mail Online
Oh good, we are in agreement. Hillbillies and ebonics speaking black people are ignorant. Yep, a bunch of dumb fuck morons.

Ebonics = ignorance.

New study shows how some Americans start to associate a Southern accents with lack of intelligence as early as AGE FIVE

New study shows how some Americans start to associate a Southern accents with lack of intelligence as early as AGE FIVEck of intelligence as early as AGE FIVE Daily Mail Online
Oh good, we are in agreement. Hillbillies and ebonics speaking black people are ignorant. Yep, a bunch of dumb fuck morons.

You are two sides of the same shit coin.

Ebonics = ignorance.

Are you calling me a half hillbilly, half black? Thems fightin words!

Ebonics = ignorance.

I'm just calling you an idiot and a coward.

Ebonics = ignorance.

I'm just calling you an idiot and a coward.
Oh, I guess that's ok then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back