Ebonics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borat

Rookie
Oct 27, 2009
Achtung! : this BE a racist text:

Does Language Influence Culture? - WSJ.com

Language is a uniquely human gift. When we study language, we are uncovering in part what makes us human, getting a peek at the very nature of human nature. As we uncover how languages and their speakers differ from one another, we discover that human natures too can differ dramatically, depending on the languages we speak.

Daaam Yo ! Dat BE mad Rayciss sHEEET !

How dare WSJ imply that just because ******* can't speak English normally that they are sub-human ?

Last edited:
It is not a white/black issue. George Barnard Shaw discussed this in Pygmalion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owWPgUyK7DY]YouTube - Why cant the english[/ame]

Ebonics(Logo).gif

Populism Popularity

Ebonics has been studied by many respected scholars and linguists as a historical phenomenon indicative of 'multi-culturalism adaptation.'

If we look at the meters of early Americas African slave songs and modern day African-American 'Gangster Rap,' we notice that both forms of music exhibit re-orientations of Ebonics phonetics and structure.

Ebonics is a simplified form of Standard English, expressing a desire to combine economics with lifestyle. An Ebonics speaker will substitute the phonetic syllables 'fi dis' for the standard words 'five discs,' eliminating sounds (glottal and frontal) to achieve efficiency and speed-themed efficiency.

Let's look at the following recognized African slave song lyrics: "Swing low, sweet chariot....comin' for to carry me home!"

Now let's look at the following recognized Gangster Rap lyrics: "Yippie-yo, yippie-yay, Death Row's definitely in the house!"

Both exhibit expressive linguistic shortenings and recombinations --- comin' substituted for coming; yippie-yay substituted for the common euphoria English explicative 'yay!'

These music lyrics refer to the Ebonics formatting of efficiency or economics expressions as they pertain to the African-American experience. Elation, frustration, impatience, and angst are all part of the message here.

In order for society to coordinate modern age populism culture (i.e., Facebook, comic book programs, etc.) with academics, we need to understand how lifestyle creates language and informs communication.

Such notes reveal the surprising value of communication-jargon Hollywood (USA) movies such as "LOL" (2012).

:arrow:

LOL 2012 film - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

bk-poster.jpg

Comparative Diagrams

In Standard English, the economic use of prepositions signifies the speaker's skill at constructing sentences with communicative fluency.

Prepositions are structural enhancements and serve as communication hangers for a given constructed sentence such as "I am in love with Mozart."

It is considered informal and therefore grammatically incorrect to end a sentence in a preposition: "This is the girl I am in love with."

Language seems to be both simple and complex simultaneously, and our arrangement of words and formatted words (i.e., gerunds, contractions, etc.) reveals society's handling of communication delivery.

Casual American English speakers sometimes end their sentences with a preposition, since it is not considered to be a moral faux-pas. Why then do we over-scrutinize the syntactical structures of African-American street-pidgin Ebonics?

Social talk about communication styles can be as intellectually (and politically) valuable as academic analysis of communication deviations.

Gangsta rap - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

ruckus.jpg

Comparative Diagrams

In Standard English, the economic use of prepositions signifies the speaker's skill at constructing sentences with communicative fluency.

Prepositions are structural enhancements and serve as communication hangers for a given constructed sentence such as "I am in love with Mozart."

It is considered informal and therefore grammatically incorrect to end a sentence in a preposition: "This is the girl I am in love with."

Language seems to be both simple and complex simultaneously, and our arrangement of words and formatted words (i.e., gerunds, contractions, etc.) reveals society's handling of communication delivery.

Casual American English speakers sometimes end their sentences with a preposition, since it is not considered to be a moral faux-pas. Why then do we over-scrutinize the syntactical structures of African-American street-pidgin Ebonics?

Social talk about communication styles can be as intellectually (and politically) valuable as academic analysis of communication deviations.

Gangsta rap - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

View attachment 35043

Translated:
Yo Comparative Diagrams

In Standard cracker ass english, da economic use o' prepositions signifies da speaker's skill at constructing sentences wif communicative fluency. Prepositions is structural enhancements an' serve as communication hangers fo' uh given constructed sentence such as "ah be in love wif Mozart." It iz considered informal an' therefore grammatically incorrect ta end uh sentence in uh preposition: "dis here iz da beotch ah be in love wif." Language seems ta be bof simple an' complex simultaneously, an' our arrangement o' werdz an' formatted werdz (ah.e., gerunds, contractions, etc.) reveals society's handling o' communication delivery. Casual American cracker ass english speakers sometimes end they sentences wif uh preposition, since it iz not considered ta be uh moral faux-pas. Why then do we's ova-scrutinize da syntactical structures o' brudda street-pidgin ebonix? Social jive 'boutcommunication styles can be as intellectually (an' politically) valuable as academic analysis o' communication deviations , wOrd! - See more at: Ebonics Translator - Translate English into Ebonics with the Pimp Translator

Whats amusing to me is that racist whites actually think Ebonics is not a language or at the very least a dialect of English developed by Black people. It amuses me to no end to see them try to use it as an insult. :laugh:

Ebonics is fine for blacks who aspire to nothing more than lives in the bloody hoods.

But if they want to break out of such a lifestyle they'd be a hell of a lot better off being able to communicate with the outside world, both spoken and written.

If I had a choice I'd always hire a black person who speaks standard English vs. some moron fluent in hood-speak.

Ebonics is fine for blacks who aspire to nothing more than lives in the bloody hoods.

But if they want to break out of such a lifestyle they'd be a hell of a lot better off being able to communicate with the outside world, both spoken and written.

If I had a choice I'd always hire a black person who speaks standard English vs. some moron fluent in hood-speak.
Ebonics is fine for anyone. The more languages you are fluent in the more people you can talk to. Of course you have to learn standard english once you step outside the area where you speak Ebonics but thats no different than say a Hmong learning english but speaking the Hmong language once he gets off work. Most of my business contacts have no idea I speak Ebonics.

The Power Plaid

If we look at Ebonics statements in terms of the goals presented (i.e., "Gimme fo bucks!"), then it may be easier to coordinate cultural experience in terms of cultural expectations. Ebonics-speakers would appreciate that more too in an arena fraught with controversy (many linguists believe Ebonics is not an official dialect, only subversive slang).

Many gangster-rap songs are delivered by African-Americans who speak Ebonics. These expressive (and engaging) goal-rich songs, such as "Nowhere to Run, Nowhere to Hide" (Gravediggaz), "New Jack Hustler" (Ice-T), and "Nappy Heads" (The Fugees), present the socio-economically frustrated Afro-American experience in America in terms of dreams deferred, goals unrealized, and ambitions humiliated.

We can therefore perhaps use gangster-rap songs, rich in Ebonics analysis, to understand better how intentionality constructs linguistic prioritization.

To appreciate the social symbolism of Ebonics in multi-cultural America is as important as understanding why culture-evocation American film-makers market movies about ambition-propaganda comic book characters such as Doctor Doom (Marvel Comics), a super-fascist with schemes of hypnosis, to America's youngsters.

:afro:

Doctor Doom (Marvel Comics)

poster.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back