Ebonics - It Be Back

archangel said:
then again maybe not....willis just sounded to bland...willard is more macho...don't ya think..... :rolleyes:

Willard was the guy who trained RATS in the movie "Willard and the Rats"
!! LOL

Bonnie said:
Willard was the guy who trained RATS in the movie "Willard and the Rats"
!! LOL

you never cease to amaze me...ya catch on fast! :cof:

In English as a second language they're teaching proper English, in the Ebonics class are they teaching the kids to speak properly?? Because if they arn't they are doing these kids more harm than good.

Speaking only Ebonics limits the kind of work a person can get, certainly in higher paying careers. I don't understand when black leaders embrace this kind of thing. You would think they'd find it insulting.

Trigg said:
In English as a second language they're teaching proper English, in the Ebonics class are they teaching the kids to speak properly?? Because if they arn't they are doing these kids more harm than good.

Speaking only Ebonics limits the kind of work a person can get, certainly in higher paying careers. I don't understand when black leaders embrace this kind of thing. You would think they'd find it insulting.

I wonder what Bill Cosby would say to all this? Doubt he'd be pleased since he wants to see black children have the best chance possible to compete for high paying jobs. I don't think Ebonics is the way to achieve that, but when he speaks out he will be called racist not by other blacks, but by white elitists.

And no comment from W.J. yet, hmmmm. I'd have thought he'd jump all over this as proof blacks aren't as smart as whites.

Bonnie said:
I wonder what Bill Cosby would say to all this? Doubt he'd be pleased since he wants to see black children have the best chance possible to compete for high paying jobs. I don't think Ebonics is the way to achieve that, but when he speaks out he will be called racist not by other blacks, but by white elitists.

I'm not so sure...he's been taking a lot of flack from the black community. They don't want to hear the truth that blacks aren't being held back by whitie, they are being held back by themselves.

MissileMan said:
I'm not so sure...he's been taking a lot of flack from the black community. They don't want to hear the truth that blacks aren't being held back by whitie, they are being held back by themselves.

He really is taking hits from all sides on this, but kudos to him for speaking the truth. If anything this gives him a little more ammo. And you are right, some blacks would much rather blame anyone but themselves for their own failures.

The biggest problem with history is that nobody learns from it. Our american "english" was a result of slangs, from other cultures, mixed into our "Queen's English"...

So you must ask yourself... Why not have a little "black" in our language?

Just a simple question, I just need a simple answer?

hylandrdet said:
The biggest problem with history is that nobody learns from it. Our american "english" was a result of slangs, from other cultures, mixed into our "Queen's English"...

Yes, everyone has a little slang in there vocabulary. Even the Queens English isn't spoken by all Brits, a far amount of them drop their H's.

The problem comes when you can't make yourself understood by people outside of your neighborhood. Kids who speak ebonics need to understand and be able to make themselves understood in order to get good jobs.

hylandrdet said:

There is more than a little "black" in almost everybody's version of American English. Among other things Blacks invented blues, jazz and rock and roll, so any terms that have come out of that idiom are black.

I don't think anybody has a problem with that (although on this board, who knows?). The problem is that if someone can only speak slang and not speak standard English as well it is difficult for this person to find a job or attain an education in this country. Then it's probably hard to succeed or make money. So to allow or encourage someone to speak only slang does that person a disservice.

Would you like to try to get a mortgage from or study literature with someone who can only speak slang?

nucular said:
There is more than a little "black" in almost everybody's version of American English. Among other things Blacks invented blues, jazz and rock and roll, so any terms that have come out of that idiom are black.

I don't think anybody has a problem with that (although on this board, who knows?). The problem is that if someone can only speak slang and not speak standard English as well it is difficult for this person to find a job or attain an education in this country. Then it's probably hard to succeed or make money. So to allow or encourage someone to speak only slang does that person a disservice.

Would you like to try to get a mortgage from or study literature with someone who can only speak slang?

Your corrrect no one has a problem with a mixing of languages that has come to represent language most of us can understand, the problem comes when a new type of slang is introduced that has no benefit to the user or recipient in being a productive member of society. Ebonics is simply a way to isolate themselves from society and confuse the law enforcement. If they wish it then let that be the case but then don't complain how society is holding the black man down.

I'd say Ebonics isn't even Slang. It's people being too lazy to ask "Who are you with?", so they say 'Who you Be with?"

It's pure laziness and worthlessness. I take that back - there IS some worth in Ebonics...it's fun. F'oh shizzle.

-=d=- said:
I'd say Ebonics isn't even Slang. It's people being too lazy to ask "Who are you with?", so they say 'Who you Be with?"

It's pure laziness and worthlessness. I take that back - there IS some worth in Ebonics...it's fun. F'oh shizzle.

How do you know so much Ebonics Darin :soul: ?? LOL

Bonnie said:
How do you know so much Ebonics Darin :soul: ?? LOL

darinage29.jpg

:D

hylandrdet said:

Simple answer:

There is a big difference between language and slang and dialect.

Ebonics is dialect. Just as people from Alabama (southern)and Boston (Bostonian ?), etc....

What the people behind Ebonics want is equivilent to people from Boston or Alabama wanting to teach their "accent." Can you see your child coming home from school with a spelling test like this:

1. Ka - something you drive in.
2. Paak - something you play in.

1. Fixin - getting ready to do something
2. Klect - to gather something (money, etc) that belongs to you.

Ebonics:

"omelette"

"Yo! I shud Pop Yur Ass 4 wat u Sed, but omelette dis one slide"

GotZoom said:
Simple answer:

There is a big difference between language and slang and dialect.

Ebonics is dialect. Just as people from Alabama (southern)and Boston (Bostonian ?), etc....

What the people behind Ebonics want is equivilent to people from Boston or Alabama wanting to teach their "accent." Can you see your child coming home from school with a spelling test like this:

1. Ka - something you drive in.
2. Paak - something you play in.

1. Fixin - getting ready to do something
2. Klect - to gather something (money, etc) that belongs to you.

If the story is true then these educators are messed up in the head. How can the teaching of backward sounding slang prepare kids for jobs, university etc. why do black groups continue to regress in the richest country in the world? Does this say your race is inferior mentally? Are you incapable of speaking properly or is this a throwback to the slave days when you had to deal with the "massa". Maybe its a huge collective chip on your shoulders? Bill Cosby is right...you blacks need to get with it.

Surprisingly, the last time ebonics reared its ugly head in California, it was the teacher's union and lobby which supported teaching that garbage.

Seems that if they could get ebonics declared a "language", those teachers who taught the subject would be eligible for a bonus because they were teaching multi-lingual classes.

Wonder if the same cockroaches are still scurrying about?

Forum List

Back