Earnhardt Says Father Was With Him In Crash

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
i thought this was kind of interesting and i'm just glad he is safe and didn't perish or get terribly injured.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/racing/09/27/bc.car.nascar.earnhardt.ap/index.html

Earnhardt Jr. says father was with him in crash
Updated: Tuesday September 28, 2004 1:37AM
Little E says the feeling of having his late father help him out of his crashed car 'freaks me out.'
NEW YORK (AP) -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. says he believes his late father, seven-time NASCAR champion Dale Earnhardt, had a lot to do with his surviving a burning wreck at a sports car event in July.

Earnardt, interviewed for Wednesday night's edition of 60 Minutes on CBS, was engulfed in flames after the Corvette he was driving at an American Le Mans Series event in Sonoma, Calif., spun and backed into a tire wall. The Nextel Cup star escaped with second-degree burns to his neck and legs, which hampered his racing for several weeks but did not sideline him.

"At that moment, you think of everything ... you think, 'This would really suck if it's the way I'm going out,' " Earnhardt told interviewer Mike Wallace.

Earnhardt's father was killed three years ago in a crash on the final lap of the Daytona 500, but Junior tells Wallace that it was his father who helped him escape from the burning car.

"I think he had a lot to do with me getting out of that car," says Earnhardt. "...I don't want to put some weird, you know, psycho twist on it like he was pulling me out or anything, but he had a lot to do with me getting out of that car. From the movement I made to unbuckle my belt to lying on the stretcher, I have no idea what happened."

Earnhardt told Wallace the feeling was so real that when he reached safety, he began inquiring about the "person" who helped him out of the burning car. "I had my ... PR man ... by the collar screaming at him to find the guy that pulled me out of the car," recalls Earnhardt. "He was like, 'Nobody helped you get out,' and I was like, 'That's strange because I swear somebody ... had me underneath ... my arms and was carrying me out of the car.' I mean, I swear to God."

Wallace asks, "And that was your dad?" Earnhardt responds, "Yeah, I don't know. You tell me. It ... freaks me out today just talking about it. It just gives me chills."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Wow, thats pretty powerful stuff. I personally believe that it is possible !
I also believe in Guardian Angels too !

Why is this in the sports section? Shouldn't this be in the moonshine swilling and south will rise again section? :laugh: Lol bring it on people, I can handle it.

OCA said:
Why is this in the sports section? Shouldn't this be in the moonshine swilling and south will rise again section? :laugh: Lol bring it on people, I can handle it.
Zooooooommmmm, Zoom OCA..The biggest Redneck pastime in America!

*I hate it myself*:D

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Right down there with golf IMO.

Whoaaa hold up on the golf, that takes much more talent than driving a car in circles. It involves everything: stamina, concentration, athletic ability and nerves of steel. Oh i'll get the responses that NASCAR takes all 4 of those also but boil it down and its a drive on the beltway at high speeds, all of us with a little bit of practice can do that, not so with golf.

OCA said:

The South will rise again damnit!!!

OCA said:
Whoaaa hold up on the golf, that takes much more talent than driving a car in circles. It involves everything: stamina, concentration, athletic ability and nerves of steel. Oh i'll get the responses that NASCAR takes all 4 of those also but boil it down and its a drive on the beltway at high speeds, all of us with a little bit of practice can do that, not so with golf.

Joker..OCA said it...he's right.
Golf is a hell of a sport!
Now lamas ((sp) and my French sucks) racing...That's a sport, those guys need talent and skill.
But round an round? Hell, any 3 yr old can do that on a tricycle!

OCA said:

Don't forget the ugly ass green plaid pants... :rolleyes:

I still say Bobby Labonte is hot but overall Nascar is boring ! And I am as southern as southern gets ! :rock:

Sandy73 said:
Don't forget the ugly ass green plaid pants... :rolleyes:

I still say Bobby Labonte is hot but overall Nascar is boring ! And I am as southern as southern gets ! :rock:

Nobody wears the ugly ass gren pants anymore. Its all about GQ on the links now. Well there are a few freaks out there with the stupid Euro look but overall its the Dockers look.

OCA said:
Nobody wears the ugly ass gren pants anymore. Its all about GQ on the links now. Well there are a few freaks out there with the stupid Euro look but overall its the Dockers look.

I can see OCA with his Green pants and big gold ring on with his cigar..... :cof:

Not a big fan of Nascar, but it's a neat story none-the-less. It certainly takes a certain kind of personality to continue to drive cars into walls, even after it killed his father. :coffee3:

OCA said:
theres no way in hell 'with a little bit of practice' that all of us could do that. despite most people who think that stock car racing is 'the fastest car around the track', racing requires more physical energy and mental skill than playing a major league double header does.

OCA said:
nerves of steel.
ROTFLMAO!!! Those little balls flying around must really scare the hell out of ya! :rotflmao: Nerves of steel? For golf? :rotflmao: Whew, I really needed that!
:D

Bullshit! Give me a car that can run up to speeds of 200 m.p.h for great lengths of time, give me a place to practice and within a month i'll be ready to roll. Its the same as driving 70 everyday, only these guys drive 200 everyday.

Yes, golf takes much more skill. I'll take a pro golfer, give him a month nehind the wheel and he could be competitive at a high level on a racetrack. Take a driver, give him a month on the driving range and he couldn't beat a 10 yr old, the difference is the level of skill between the two sports, 1 take very little and 1 takes an enormous amount. I'd like to see a driver stand over a 4 foot putt with a 1,000,000 on the line.

ok ok ok.

the penis competition is obviously on.

And with THAT remark, Im out of here....again.
until its over.

goddamnit.

OCA said:
Bullshit! Give me a car that can run up to speeds of 200 m.p.h for great lengths of time, give me a place to practice and within a month i'll be ready to roll. Its the same as driving 70 everyday, only these guys drive 200 everyday.

Yes, golf takes much more skill. I'll take a pro golfer, give him a month nehind the wheel and he could be competitive at a high level on a racetrack. Take a driver, give him a month on the driving range and he couldn't beat a 10 yr old, the difference is the level of skill between the two sports, 1 take very little and 1 takes an enormous amount. I'd like to see a driver stand over a 4 foot putt with a 1,000,000 on the line.
:rotflmao:
It's obvious that you have zero clue as to what it takes to race at 200 mph. Things to consider would be drafting, what line to drive(high or low), how it wears your tires, gas mileage, whether to pass on the high side or low side, who do you run fastest with, do you run better behind a draft partner or in front..not to mention who do you pit with, how well will your pit crew do its job, do you take four tires or only two, do you pit on this caution or do you wait and hope for another one later, and THATS just at a super speedway. You'd be hanging out behind the wall most of the time at a short track because you can't maintain minimum speed or they garage would be repairing your car after you've slammed it into the wall.

Forum List

Back