~Dying At 50~

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Dabs, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I have been bothered by something for the past 2 days.
    This past week, and up till Monday, I have personally known 3 people who have all died at the age of 50, recently.
    One was my daughter-in-laws Aunt, she died from leukemia. (Last Thursday)
    One was a guy I have known for years, he had a live-in, and one day while at work, on lunch, he keeled over- apparent heart attack that we know so far. (Last Friday)
    And at our local Wal-Mart, which btw, is one of THE largest Wal-Mart stores in the state of Tennessee, a good friend I have known for years, and has worked at this store for 22 years!--she went home Monday and said she wasn't feeling well. So she told her husband she was going to lie down, and when he went to check on her a little bit later, she was dead. She had a heart attack. (Monday afternoon)
    Our Wal-Mart has wreaths displayed at all entrances, with her photo. And her calling hours were this evening, well Wednesday.
    Now I don't know about the rest of y'all, but when I go to tell someone my age, and I never lie, I always admit my age, I say I'm 49- which I am- but I think I sound old.
    But when I read an obit in the newspaper, and it lists the age of the deceased as "50"....my first reaction is- "Omg, so young!"
    And I guess when I think about it, 50 is young, and for 3 people to have departed at that age, all within a matter of a few days of each other and I knew them all- I just feel......well....crappy. I don't know how else to say it :(

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Two members of my high school posse (of about 8 guys) both died within months of one another, one at 50, the other 51.

That was a rather alarming and somewhat sobering event. (this happened about 10 years ago for me)

I mean you know? ~ These were guys who I'd known since elementary school, we'd grown up together, we raised hell together, and POOF!, they're worm's meat.

3. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    one's mortality isn't something most dwell on , until confronted by the spectre of age, illness, or the loss of those around us hammers the perspective home

live love & laugh while you can my friends....

4. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Turned 50 this year.

No great shakes.

5. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    welcome to the youth of old age Sallow

6. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    My father passed away ON his 54th Birthday (8/22/01) from complications of Cancer. I'm hoping to make it longer than that, but I have no great interest in hanging around past my late 60's or early 70's at the latest.

7. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,316
    My Father died at 50.
    I felt the same way when I was 49 reaching to that age.
    I lived past it though. Still here and kicking and in good health. :)

8. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    There's no guarantee that anyone will live to 80 or 90. It sounds corny but you gotta' live life to the fullest now.

My Uncle was an A-Hole, abused himself with alcohol and lived to age 80. My Aunt never smoked or drank, went to church and was the nicest person you ever met. She died from lung cancer at age 53.

You gotta' do what you want and live like you want, right now.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Thanks everyone, and I agree with you Anach, I honestly don't care to live past 65, hell I don't care if I go much earlier!
    Nobody in my immediate family has lived past the age of 66......so I don't foresee a long life for myself.
    I lost my Mother when she was 66 and my real dad was 54 when he passed away.
    I guess it's also the fact, these 3 people I talked about, didn't look 50!!!
    Especially the gal who worked at Wal-Mart, she always looked so happy and was so energetic, I imagined her to be much younger. When I found out she was older than me, (which was a long while back) I was shocked!
    Yep...you just never know when your time is up.

10. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,880
    At 48 I decided that I was going to be in better shape @ 50. Lost 50 pounds since then. Most people treat their bodies like crap. Bodies pay people back.