DWI laws and results.

Sep 12, 2008
Korea has a very strict DWI. They catch you, they brethelize, and if you blow over the limit it is a year in the pokey. No questions. Plus substantial fines.

Among the rich, the fines aren't such a much. (for the poor they can be even more devastating than the jail time. Three years wages for an average worker.)

The result of this is a cottage industry of people who do designated driving. usual rate of pay is $50 us per trip. The price is so high because the cities are so spread out. If a driver is lucky, she can do four trips.

BTW, the legal limit there is .03%

From what I have read, the way Koreans drive sober is worse than most other folks drive drunk. They have no problem with the far right hand lane being used for left turns. against the light.

They also have a high level of ferocity about folks who drive one handed with a cell phone to the ear. I don't know about the penalties for that, but they also seem substantial.

My theory on DUI

First offense. small fine. Unless you're WAY over the limit.I mean accidents happen

Second offense, five years in prison, you should be more careful after your first one.

There would be few third offenses but for those that do twenty years

I am not sure whether you understand the mind of an alky too well, or not all.

I did some time in jail, one of the block mates was a genial soul who was in for Drunk and disorderly. To hear him tell it, he had spent most of the last 20 years in jail for drunk and disorderly. He would serve his 20 days, get his cash and his clothes, walk across the street to the nearest bar, and wake up in jail again. Sometimes in the same lock up, sometimes in a different county.

some folks are just plain incorrigble

I am not sure whether you understand the mind of an alky too well, or not all.

I did some time in jail, one of the block mates was a genial soul who was in for Drunk and disorderly. To hear him tell it, he had spent most of the last 20 years in jail for drunk and disorderly. He would serve his 20 days, get his cash and his clothes, walk across the street to the nearest bar, and wake up in jail again. Sometimes in the same lock up, sometimes in a different county.

some folks are just plain incorrigble

Well then they would be looking at some long stretches in the slammer. I have NO sympathy for drunk drivers.

From what I have read, the way Koreans drive sober is worse than most other folks drive drunk. They have no problem with the far right hand lane being used for left turns. against the light.
I'll never forget being in a Korean Taxi and almost being squashed between two buses. If your driver gets into an accident while taking you somewhere, it's your fault. The logic is that the Taxi would not have been there had you not hired it!

So we were told that if you ever get into a taxi accident, just throw some money in the front seat and run like hell!

Forum List

Back