Dutch forces free pirate captives

Bootneck

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2008
England
Well done the Dutch navy! Seven pirates captured and 20 hostages released!!

Dutch commandos have freed 20 people who had been captured by Somali pirates after the raiders attacked a Greek-managed tanker, Nato says.

The captives, Yemeni fishermen, were freed as the Dutch forces captured seven pirates in the Gulf of Aden.

They were aboard a pirate "mother ship" from which smaller craft attack commercial vessels.

The captured pirates are alleged to have attacked the tanker using assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades.

BBC NEWS | World | Africa | Dutch forces free pirate captives

the tide seems to be turning..no longer are the individual countries willing to pay ransom.....will obama get credit for this or was it just finally time....i didnt think it would happen..what has shocked me is the comparsion of the pirates to al quaida members and the fear they will connect...a sweet deal...the pirates have money...the al quiadias have know how....

Good news.

And just think the same people who ignore hemp smokers somehow managed to do this.

Whoda thunk?

the tide seems to be turning..no longer are the individual countries willing to pay ransom.....will obama get credit for this or was it just finally time....i didnt think it would happen..

Well, Obama shouldn't get the credit, Strolling. He came to the table late. Pirates were being attacked and arrested by other countrie's naval forces, including Britain and Denmark prior to his recent intervention. NATO forces have also prevented several pirate attempts at hijacking.

November 2008

Eight suspected Somali pirates have been handed over to the Kenyan authorities by the Royal Navy, it was disclosed today.

The eight were detained last week after an attempted hijacking of a Danish ship in the Gulf of Aden.

Crews from a Royal Navy warship shot dead two Somali pirates after a Yemeni-flagged dhow was identified as having tried to attack the Danish vessel, the MV Powerful.

"This is clear evidence that we will take every opportunity to combat the pirates who disrupt legitimate trade and add significant costs to goods UK consumer rely on," said the armed forces minister, Bob Ainsworth, speaking in Nairobi, Kenya.

Royal Navy delivers captured Somali pirates to Kenya | World news | guardian.co.uk

I also recall that the Indian navy had some success too. Didn't they sink a pirate boat?

Piracy is an international problem and I expect that many nations will have a hand in eradicating it.

But the longer term solution to Somalian piracy is to end the anarchy in Somalia .

Forum List

Back