"Drunken Negro Face" cookies for sale?

YWN666

Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
UPDATE: "Drunken Negro Face" Cookies On Sale at Greenwich Village Bakery - Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events

At at a time when any decent baker should have been selling racially harmonious black and white cookies by the truckload, one Greenwich Village bakery popular with celebrities and shows like Sex and the City has outraged neighbors by selling a "Drunken Negro Face" cookie in, um, "honor" of President Obama. [Video below.] A shocked customer tells My Fox NY that Ted Kefalinos, proprietor of Lafayette French Pastry, asked her, "Would you like some drunken negro heads to go with your coffee? They're in honor of our new president. He's following in the same path of Abraham Lincoln; he will get his."

Later, her friend stopped by the bakery and said Kefalinos corrected her about the name of the cookies—they're actually drunken "N-word" cookies. She says the backwards baker then repeated the dark suggestion that, like Lincoln, President Obama "will get what's coming to him." Go Secret Service, go!

I'm all for freedom of speech but this guy is a complete moron. What was he thinking?

that Obama was as good as dead and that he is as valuble as a monkey.

Kinda like the cartoon guy.

What was he thinking? Um... we have freedom of speech?

In Iraq under Saddam there were pics of Saddam everywhere - EVERYWHERE. People put them up to assure others that they were loyal. No one dared to breathe a word against him, if you did you were killed.

Thank goodness it isn't like that here... right?

UPDATE: "Drunken Negro Face" Cookies On Sale at Greenwich Village Bakery - Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events

At at a time when any decent baker should have been selling racially harmonious black and white cookies by the truckload, one Greenwich Village bakery popular with celebrities and shows like Sex and the City has outraged neighbors by selling a "Drunken Negro Face" cookie in, um, "honor" of President Obama. [Video below.] A shocked customer tells My Fox NY that Ted Kefalinos, proprietor of Lafayette French Pastry, asked her, "Would you like some drunken negro heads to go with your coffee? They're in honor of our new president. He's following in the same path of Abraham Lincoln; he will get his."

Later, her friend stopped by the bakery and said Kefalinos corrected her about the name of the cookies—they're actually drunken "N-word" cookies. She says the backwards baker then repeated the dark suggestion that, like Lincoln, President Obama "will get what's coming to him." Go Secret Service, go!

I'm all for freedom of speech but this guy is a complete moron. What was he thinking?

A good example of how something can be tasty and tasteless at the same time.

In Iraq under Saddam there were pics of Saddam everywhere - EVERYWHERE. People put them up to assure others that they were loyal. No one dared to breathe a word against him, if you did you were killed.

No one said it was illegal.

I bet the guy lost a shit load of business though.

If you look the question was "what was he thinking"?

YWN666;1067013 At at a time when any decent baker should have been selling racially harmonious black and white cookies by the truckload said:
A shocked customer tells My Fox NY that Ted Kefalinos, proprietor of Lafayette French Pastry, asked her, "Would you like some drunken negro heads to go with your coffee? They're in honor of our new president. He's following in the same path of Abraham Lincoln; he will get his."

Wow. I mean Im not fond of obama whatsoever, but thats too far (Although he has the right to sell them and make any remark, stated in the first amendment of freedom of speech). And by the way, This has no relation with the cartoon at all, none; its not even similar.

just because you *can* say something... doesn't mean you *should* say something.

the guy is an idiot.

YWN666;1067013 At at a time when any decent baker should have been selling racially harmonious black and white cookies by the truckload said:
A shocked customer tells My Fox NY that Ted Kefalinos, proprietor of Lafayette French Pastry, asked her, "Would you like some drunken negro heads to go with your coffee? They're in honor of our new president. He's following in the same path of Abraham Lincoln; he will get his."

Wow. I mean Im not fond of obama whatsoever, but thats too far (Although he has the right to sell them and make any remark, stated in the first amendment of freedom of speech). And by the way, This has no relation with the cartoon at all, none; its not even similar.

The guy said himself that Obama is not going to live long.

Its a racial slur , depicting black people as dead monkeys is a racial slur.

To pretend they are different is just bullshit.

just because you *can* say something... doesn't mean you *should* say something.

the guy is an idiot.

That's fine, he's an idiot. I never ventured an opinion on that, I was just trying to remind people that we do have the right to say things even if they are stupid. He thought he could say whatever he wanted and now we see people trying to make him pay for exercising his right by publishing stories about it.

Butt that is not what he picked is it.

BTW drunken chocolate head is just as bad.

the guy is an idiot.

That's fine, he's an idiot. I never ventured an opinion on that, I was just trying to remind people that we do have the right to say things even if they are stupid. He thought he could say whatever he wanted and now we see people trying to make him pay for exercising his right by publishing stories about it.

Um they have freedom of speech as well dont they?

Forum List

Back