Downton Abbey

Did you make a $250 pledge or something?

Heck no! I bought the season four disc. It's already in the stores.

Three disc set

I watched the entire season for free on the internet.

Sarah, is it the season finale as in episode 8, or is it the Christmas special??

Part 8. Didn't we already see the Christmas special? I watched Seasons 2 and 3 in November and December of 2013 so I may be getting things mixed up.

Heck no! I bought the season four disc. It's already in the stores.

Three disc set

Sarah, is it the season finale as in episode 8, or is it the Christmas special??

Part 8. Didn't we already see the Christmas special? I watched Seasons 2 and 3 in November and December of 2013 so I may be getting things mixed up.

You can check it out in this link to see if it's the same...I thought the Christmas special always followed after the season ended across the pond, but I may be wrong.

Scroll down to the episodes in black boxes. The Christmas special is at the bottom.

How To Watch Downton Abbey Season 4 in the U.S.! « A Golden Afternoon

You can check it out in this link to see if it's the same...I thought the Christmas special always followed after the season ended across the pond, but I may be wrong.

Scroll down to the episodes in black boxes. The Christmas special is at the bottom.

How To Watch Downton Abbey Season 4 in the U.S.! « A Golden Afternoon

It looks like the Christmas episode is after episode 8. It's a little better but the season seemed really short compared to the others for some reason.

There was a 20/20 on last night called Mysteries of the Castle, Beyond Downton Abbey. I saw it last year after season 3 was over and I was watching anything I could find to fill the long days of the hiatus. Amy Robach hosted it.

Anyone else see it?

The finale is not Christmas. It has to do with Rose's debutante ball and a vacation at the beach for the servants. Then you will have a 45 week wait until season 5 comes out. Season 5 might be the last.

I've read things like Cora will be gone as of season 6 and also that there may not be anymore after next season.. I don't see how they can stop after season 5, people still love it so much.

I've read things like Cora will be gone as of season 6 and also that there may not be anymore after next season.. I don't see how they can stop after season 5, people still love it so much.

I think the Lady Mary is gonna marry Tom. I can't figure out what happened to Lady Edith's fellow unless he fell in with the Germans or that they killed him. We have so many unfinished stories. What does that Barrow guy have hanging over the new ladies maids head?

I think the Lady Mary is gonna marry Tom. I can't figure out what happened to Lady Edith's fellow unless he fell in with the Germans or that they killed him. We have so many unfinished stories. What does that Barrow guy have hanging over the new ladies maids head?

I'm curious about Edith's man too. He seemed like he loved her, he must have died somehow.

I thought Barrow got her the job and just insisted that she repay him by spying. Now, it seems like she feels safe because people like her and so she doesn't need to do what he asks. Her new footman friend seems to be protecting her.

I think I've finally sorted out that the long episode airing tonight (2/23) is the one that aired as the 2013 Christmas Special in Britain. Am I right?

I don't know. What happened in the 2013 Christmas special that aired in Britain?

Last edited:
I think I've finally sorted out that the long episode airing tonight (2/23) is the one that aired as the 2013 Christmas Special in Britain. Am I right?

Season 4 premier in the UK was on Sept 22 and ran 8 episodes. In December, after the season had wrapped, they had the separate Christmas special. The season then premiered on PBS in the US on Jan 5, and I don't know if tonight is the 8th and final episode of the official season, or if it's the Christmas special. You can look in the link that I provided and start episode 8 to see if it's the one that aired last week.

I'm curious about Edith's man too. He seemed like he loved her, he must have died somehow.
I believed he'd gone underground somewhere in Germany and would manage to sneak out and get home.

Last edited:
The British episode summaries I just finished reading show that last week's episode - less than an hour in length - was not their Christmas Special. The summary of what's coming tonight - 92 minute run time - matches up with what was aired in Britain for Christmas.

I hope that's right because I'm leaving on vacation and will not turn on a TV for a couple of weeks. Of course if there were an additional episode I'd likely surrender all my convictions and try recording it.

I was just reading the summary on my cable recording guide and it says from 9-11, Crawleys in London for Rose's coming out ball. Cora's mother visits, the family finds itself in the midst of a potential scandal.

It isn't on at all according to the guide for next Sunday.

I'm going to watch the finale because I've seen the rest of the season, but I must say that DA has completely jumped the shark.

I'm going to watch the finale because I've seen the rest of the season, but I must say that DA has completely jumped the shark.

I don't know about completely, but I think it shouldn't try to be PC. I highly doubt during those times that someone of Mary's position in the class system would have been so generous towards Jack Ross. Maybe I'm wrong and the UK was far ahead of the US in race relations...it just seemed that on one hand they wanted it to seem scandalous, and then on the other soften it up.

I still liked it but they did kind of blow off the scandals like the rape and Edith being pregnant without the father of her child around. I'm thinking about past seasons like how they handled Ethel Parks giving her son up to the grandparents after realizing that she could no longer care for him. I broke down in tears when that kid was waving to her out the back window of the car. That season was stellar.

Heart wrenching...

These things were kind of glossed over this season. The clothes were very beautiful this year though. :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back