Downton Abbey

Want to see inside the REAL Downton Abbey? From grandiose entrance halls to luxury sitting rooms, take a peek inside Britain's best known stately home and see how the aristocracy live | Mail Online

Want to see inside the REAL Downton Abbey? From grandiose entrance halls to luxury sitting rooms, take a peek inside Britain's best known stately home and see how the aristocracy live

People can buy tickets to have a tour of Highclere Castle in Newbury, Berkshire, which was built in 1838

The 1,000-acre estate dates back to the Iron Age and has housed people for more than 1300 years

The manor in its current form was created by Sir Charles Barry, who designed the Palace of Westminster

Visitors can have tours of the entire estate, or even just the garden, which has courted ITV viewers for four series

Amazing, isn't it.

Apparently, the series is literally saving this wonderful home. If I remember right, the upkeep costs $1million a year.

I LOVE the architecture in GB and Europe. We've been talking about going to see this house but this next trip is to France to see the ancient cave art. Maybe next time.

Thanks for this link.

I'd love to go see it. Maybe sometime.

Want to see inside the REAL Downton Abbey? From grandiose entrance halls to luxury sitting rooms, take a peek inside Britain's best known stately home and see how the aristocracy live | Mail Online

Want to see inside the REAL Downton Abbey? From grandiose entrance halls to luxury sitting rooms, take a peek inside Britain's best known stately home and see how the aristocracy live

People can buy tickets to have a tour of Highclere Castle in Newbury, Berkshire, which was built in 1838

The 1,000-acre estate dates back to the Iron Age and has housed people for more than 1300 years

The manor in its current form was created by Sir Charles Barry, who designed the Palace of Westminster

Visitors can have tours of the entire estate, or even just the garden, which has courted ITV viewers for four series

Amazing, isn't it.

Apparently, the series is literally saving this wonderful home. If I remember right, the upkeep costs $1million a year.

I LOVE the architecture in GB and Europe. We've been talking about going to see this house but this next trip is to France to see the ancient cave art. Maybe next time.

Thanks for this link.

Beautiful, the architecture from that era is stunning, wonderful how the series is preserving this wonderful building.

I went and saw Monuments Men, I will always like FDR for sending these men not to get the great works of art, but giving it back to those that rightfully owned it.

Once a painting, a statue, a building are destroyed, you lose a look into the minds, hearts and history of a culture.

It's very beautiful and it's so clean. They do close off some of the rooms, a lot of the rooms but it takes a lot to keep things looking like that.

Amazing, isn't it.

Thanks for this link.
PBS just showcased another of the Great Houses of the British Empire, this one being Wentworth Woodhouse (over 300 rooms).

wentworth-woodhouse.jpg

A Great House ! - Review of Wentworth Woodhouse, Rotherham, England - TripAdvisor

If you follow the geographics in recent eipisodes you have often heard of Ripon and Thirsk, places I visit regularly. The family most closely approximating The Granthams had this beautiful "house". NEWBY HALL, located just a short distance out of Ripon and only about a dozen miles from Thirsk (also famed from "All Creatures Great and Small). The house is open to visits; beautiful gardens, too.

Amazing, isn't it.

Thanks for this link.
PBS just showcased another of the Great Houses of the British Empire, this one being Wentworth Woodhouse (over 300 rooms).

wentworth-woodhouse.jpg

A Great House ! - Review of Wentworth Woodhouse, Rotherham, England - TripAdvisor

The grounds are so beautiful too.

Mr. Selfridge is coming in early March if you ever watch that.

Plus there's one more season of "The Paradise" already in the can for showing after "Selfridge". But that'll be the last one - the British network that produced the series has declined to buy any more.

I've never seen The Paradise.

The Paradise is based on a book (Au Bonheur des Dames) by Emile Zola. It was based on an actual French department store - a sort of Froggie Selfridges - and became widely read both in France in England around 1883.

The stories (Selfridge and Paradise) are amazingly parallel. The TV series similarly parallel. Acting separately and each in ignorance of the other, The BBC started production on The Paradise at the same time Britain's ITV (Independent Television, a commercial network) started shooting Mr. Selfridge. Not until both were well along did either become aware of the other.

Red faces all around.

Fortunately for American audiences Public Broadcasting (PBS) bought into both though by different methods. Details can be enjoyed in a book, "Making Masterpiece" buy PBS producer Rebecca Eaton. The book is a bit of a slog at times but does offer some insights into why some squirrelly things were done with the program over the years.

Greenies will be horrified to learn that the hated Mobil Oil Company - and later Exxon-Mobil - played major roles in the Sunday night series for years and that these days the likewise hated Koch Brothers (well, David fer sure) are major contributors. Of course after reading this tens of foaming liberals will smash their big screens and rush to their eye doctors for cleansing.

That's all to the good!

This Sunday is the Downton Abbey finale already. Dat sucks!

I know.

What's with the seasons now? They're so short.

And yes, I do think I saw that it will be 2 hours.

I also read that they really jump the shark with a story line about saving a member of the royal family.

Thing is, most of the odd jumps in storyline don't really matter. That's not why we watch it or what people love about it.

Plus there's one more season of "The Paradise" already in the can for showing after "Selfridge". But that'll be the last one - the British network that produced the series has declined to buy any more.

I've never seen The Paradise.

The Paradise is based on a book (Au Bonheur des Dames) by Emile Zola. It was based on an actual French department store - a sort of Froggie Selfridges - and became widely read both in France in England around 1883.

The stories (Selfridge and Paradise) are amazingly parallel. The TV series similarly parallel. Acting separately and each in ignorance of the other, The BBC started production on The Paradise at the same time Britain's ITV (Independent Television, a commercial network) started shooting Mr. Selfridge. Not until both were well along did either become aware of the other.

Red faces all around.

Fortunately for American audiences Public Broadcasting (PBS) bought into both though by different methods. Details can be enjoyed in a book, "Making Masterpiece" buy PBS producer Rebecca Eaton. The book is a bit of a slog at times but does offer some insights into why some squirrelly things were done with the program over the years.

Greenies will be horrified to learn that the hated Mobil Oil Company - and later Exxon-Mobil - played major roles in the Sunday night series for years and that these days the likewise hated Koch Brothers (well, David fer sure) are major contributors. Of course after reading this tens of foaming liberals will smash their big screens and rush to their eye doctors for cleansing.

That's all to the good!

Seems very familiar. Selfridge is Moray and the love of his life is Denise and they are both cast in The Paradise.

Seems very familiar. Selfridge is Moray and the love of his life is Denise and they are both cast in The Paradise.

Almost as if the real Selfridge set out to live Zola's story. But, of course, Zola's tale was roughly based on the life of the founder of a real French department store and some believe Selfridge based his merchandising concept (while still in America) upon that successful store.

Almost as if the real Selfridge set out to live Zola's story. But, of course, Zola's tale was roughly based on the life of the founder of a real French department store and some believe Selfridge based his merchandising concept (while still in America) upon that successful store.

Denise came up with some of the big ideas but Selfridge's seemed to come from somewhere, I felt like it was America but Paris seems more the case.

Forum List

Back