Downton Abbey

I'm going to watch the finale because I've seen the rest of the season, but I must say that DA has completely jumped the shark.

I still liked it but they did kind of blow off the scandals like the rape and Edith being pregnant without the father of her child around. I'm thinking about how they handled Ethel Parks giving her son up to the grandparents after realizing that she could no longer care for him. I broke down in tears when that kid was waving to her out the back window of the car. That season was stellar.

Heart wrenching...

These things were kind of glossed over this season. The clothes were very beautiful this year though. :)

I can buy a rape during those times being swept under the carpet. I think it would have been more realistic for Edith and her aunt to have traveled and left the baby with a foreign couple as the aunt originally suggested. Edith became sort of whiny about it all, but she is heartbroken after losing her love, and perhaps sees being able to glimpse the child on occasion as a way to keep him alive.

I'm going to watch the finale because I've seen the rest of the season, but I must say that DA has completely jumped the shark.

I still liked it but they did kind of blow off the scandals like the rape and Edith being pregnant without the father of her child around. I'm thinking about how they handled Ethel Parks giving her son up to the grandparents after realizing that she could no longer care for him. I broke down in tears when that kid was waving to her out the back window of the car. That season was stellar.

Heart wrenching...

These things were kind of glossed over this season. The clothes were very beautiful this year though. :)

I can buy a rape during those times being swept under the carpet. I think it would have been more realistic for Edith and her aunt to have traveled and left the baby with a foreign couple as the aunt originally suggested. Edith became sort of whiny about it all, but she is heartbroken after losing her love, and perhaps sees being able to glimpse the child on occasion as a way to keep him alive.

Understood. I don't like it that everybody is hanging, wondering what happened to him too. They should tie some things up tonight.

Heart wrenching...

Understood. I don't like it that everybody is hanging, wondering what happened to him too. They should tie some things up tonight.

I also think that Grandmother did not give her the proper scolding when she so cleverly cornered them to give up the truth...it goes completely against both the times and her character to have had her bite her tongue.

What a truly horrible finale. Terrible plot. Terrible writing. No respect for the characters.

Spoiler.

Mary has spent over a year mourning Matthew, a very good man who warmed up her personality.

So what does she learn from him? As soon as she discovers that Blake is Rich Richy Aristocrat, she's ready to jump him.

Pathetic.

Truly Truly Truly Pathetic.

And I am So Tired of Robert.

The only good thing left is seeing Maggie and Shirley chew up the scenery.

It sure looks like Bates did something unkindly to the rapist but there are enough bits left dangling that he might yet be proven innocent. Not in any court; rather in the minds of the audience. This one may yet have wheels within wheels.

As to Mary, the vibe I got was that she liked the newest suitor better than the somewhat stuffy earlier one but pushed him away not because he wasn't of the right class but rather because he seemed to be a bureaucratic tool intent on destroying the big estates.

This ain't over.

Wondering, though, whether there will be a sixth season (five is assured) as Julian Fellowes has signed on for some heavy duty scripting away from the series. Add to that the time-frame; it's fast approaching World War II which, in a series like this, could amount to a reply of episodes in the past.

Mary is a snob, she's always been a snob, but she saved Bates ass.

Mrs. Whatsit shouldn't have given Mary the ticket and the power over Bates in the first place.

Just sayin'.

And, I'll note how the actress playing Ivy found a convenient way to bail out of this hulking sinking ship....

Mrs. Whatsit shouldn't have given Mary the ticket and the power over Bates in the first place.

Just sayin'.

And, I'll note how the actress playing Ivy found a convenient way to bail out of this hulking sinking ship....

We get that you hate it. Let everyone else enjoy it and don't spoil it for people who haven't seen the episode yet.

Please?

The tv guide showed Downton Abbey as 9 to 11 PM, promising two full hours. But they unexpectedly pulled the plug at 10:30, bursting the anticipation bubble my imagination had created and leaving a number of threads dangle 'til Season Five. On the positive side I'm glad there is another season to look forward to.

Mrs. Hughes has diminished my affection for her by running to Mary with evidence that could seriously compromise Bates, and then moaning in lament of the likely consequence of her action. But in spite of it Bates has established a very strong position in the household, having rescued the Prince of Wales' reputation, thus preserving the integrity of Downton.

Recalling that Robert once nearly let it all hang out with a chambermaid I can only wonder how he will deal with the dirt delivered by Thomas Barrow concerning Branson's invited visitor. It's been made clear that Robert doesn't like Barrow, so there is hope we might see this slimy character excoriated by Carson and banished without a reference. Meanwhile I will entertain the fantasy of Mr. Mosely getting drunk and beating the hell out of Barrow.

It sure looks like Bates did something unkindly to the rapist but there are enough bits left dangling that he might yet be proven innocent. Not in any court; rather in the minds of the audience. This one may yet have wheels within wheels.
I had the same thoughts, mainly because of the vague manner in which the Bates/Green issue has been presented. All we've seen is Bates strolling, wearing a bowler and a serious expression. If Bates travels to Picadilly with the intention of confronting Green, and if Green spots him, panics, runs carelessly into traffic and is killed, Bates in effect gets the job done without doing it. A situational contraceptive.

As to Mary, the vibe I got was that she liked the newest suitor better than the somewhat stuffy earlier one but pushed him away not because he wasn't of the right class but rather because he seemed to be a bureaucratic tool intent on destroying the big estates.
Mary has become rather annoying. If she hadn't come to terms with her disgustingly hypocritical sense of morality and redeemed herself by burning that ticket I would be hoping for her indiscretion with the Turk to be revealed and crush her with disgrace.

This ain't over.

Wondering, though, whether there will be a sixth season (five is assured) as Julian Fellowes has signed on for some heavy duty scripting away from the series. Add to that the time-frame; it's fast approaching World War II which, in a series like this, could amount to a reply of episodes in the past.
All we can do is hope. But what you've said here portends disappointment. For me, the end of Downton Abbey will be the loss of a friend.

I'm sure that by now the writing staff is sufficiently familiar with the characters' personalities to carry them through a long series of continuing episodes without Fellowes, or with minimal coaching from him. They have everything they need to proceed. They have the sets, wardrobe, and key members of the cast. And they have an enthusiastic audience. Downton could go on at least as long as Upstairs/Downstairs and would retain just as devoted a following if not moreso.

One thing we know about Mary, she will do whatever she needs to in order to preserve her way of life....

that leads me to think Gillingham is out!! Charlie has more cash!!

The issue with Bates will some how live on, I'm thinking there might be an investigation.

Barrow, is an ass and not even like able.

Mary's sudden interest in rich men is some what nauseating.

However, the show is refreshing TV and I can't wait until next seas...year.

Some have said that Anna is annoying or Mary is annoying or Edith is annoying ...

What I've seen is their characters are well written and accurate for the time they lived in.

The scene by the side of the road, where (sorry, I'm terrible at remembering their names) the ex-chauffeur/Sybil's widowed husband helped Miss Bunting with her car. That was surprising because, in those days, women simply would not be out driving alone. Nor would they own a car because they would not have had money of their own with which to buy it.

Mary does have the responsibility of the estate's future riding on her shoulders. Anna would have been considered soiled goods by many and Edith being pregnant out of wedlock would have gotten her ostracized by many of her station.

Something that I found annoying was that Mary wasn't sure she would be loyal to Bates and keep the secret of the train tickets UNTIL after he saved the Prince of Wales from his own shenanigans. But, I suspect that attitude would also have been typical of the time.

In any event - the end of the season has the entire planet is in mourning.

Just sayin'.

We get that you hate it. Let everyone else enjoy it and don't spoil it for people who haven't seen the episode yet.

Please?

As if I'm the only one who is disappointed.

Other people have posted spoilers etc. in this thread, so I'll post whatever I care to.

One thing we know about Mary, she will do whatever she needs to in order to preserve her way of life....

that leads me to think Gillingham is out!! Charlie has more cash!!

Of course.

Like father, like daughter....

Some have said that Anna is annoying or Mary is annoying or Edith is annoying ...
I found Anna annoying because it was her naïve and frivolously playful conduct around Green that encouraged him and prompted what developed into forcible rape. Bates realized the implications of her receptive behavior and twice tried to snap her out of it. But she dismissed him. Then, having foolishly provoked the incident, she is critical of Bates' reaction and is bitching about it.

I don't find Edith annoying because she is the well-meaning victim of continuing misfortune.

Something that I found annoying was that Mary wasn't sure she would be loyal to Bates and keep the secret of the train tickets UNTIL after he saved the Prince of Wales from his own shenanigans. But, I suspect that attitude would also have been typical of the time.
That pretty much summarizes Mary's persona, which is innately aristocratic, self-serving, and the diametric opposite of Sybil and Edith.

I found Anna annoying because it was her naïve and frivolously playful conduct around Green that encouraged him and prompted what developed into forcible rape. Bates realized the implications of her receptive behavior and twice tried to snap her out of it. But she dismissed him. Then, having foolishly provoked the incident, she is critical of Bates' reaction and is bitching about it.

I don't find Edith annoying because she is the well-meaning victim of continuing misfortune.

That pretty much summarizes Mary's persona, which is innately aristocratic, self-serving, and the diametric opposite of Sybil and Edith.

bullshit,

What I've seen is their characters are well written and accurate for the time they lived in.

The scene by the side of the road, where (sorry, I'm terrible at remembering their names) the ex-chauffeur/Sybil's widowed husband helped Miss Bunting with her car. That was surprising because, in those days, women simply would not be out driving alone. Nor would they own a car because they would not have had money of their own with which to buy it.

Mary does have the responsibility of the estate's future riding on her shoulders. Anna would have been considered soiled goods by many and Edith being pregnant out of wedlock would have gotten her ostracized by many of her station.

In any event - the end of the season has the entire planet is in mourning.

Tom Branson. I do not like the school teacher, she's going to get him in big trouble with her curiosity. :)

Barrow is really getting gossipy but he needs to stick around just to give us something to hate. How about that little weasel Daisy? She was almost gleeful that Ivy asked to go to the states.

Forum List

Back