Dow in positive territory for the year

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks churned Friday, at the end of a mixed week on Wall Street, that nonetheless left the Dow industrials in positive territory for the year for the first time since January.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) gained 28 points, or 0.3%, ending above its 2008 close of 8,776.39.

The Dow has now risen in 12 of the last 14 weeks, rising 33% in that time, for its best 14-week stretch since March 1975, according to Dow Jones.

CNNMoney.com Market Report - Jun. 12, 2009

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks churned Friday, at the end of a mixed week on Wall Street, that nonetheless left the Dow industrials in positive territory for the year for the first time since January.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) gained 28 points, or 0.3%, ending above its 2008 close of 8,776.39.

The Dow has now risen in 12 of the last 14 weeks, rising 33% in that time, for its best 14-week stretch since March 1975, according to Dow Jones.

Ladies and gentleman I present to you... the next greater fool..... BUY, BUY, BUY.. because the smart money needs to give you a nice hair cut to make all that money the gub'ment managed to evaporate in it's latest round of central planning fiasco's back.

Please, no one in their right mind buys that because the DOW (a basket of 30 stocks) is back to where it was 6 Months ago after a nearly a 30% decline from it's previous 52 week high is any indication that the Obama spending spree is "working", it's called a head fake rally and it's designed to separate suckers from their money. :cool:

Ladies and gentleman I present to you... the next greater fool..... BUY, BUY, BUY.. because the smart money needs to give you a nice hair cut to make all that money the gub'ment managed to evaporate in it's latest round of central planning fiasco's back.

Please, no one in their right mind buys that because the DOW (a basket of 30 stocks) is back to where it was 6 Months ago after a nearly a 30% decline from it's previous 52 week high is any indication that the Obama spending spree is "working", it's called a head fake rally and it's designed to separate suckers from their money. :cool:

Ever heard of the Buffet meter?

The Stimulus is clearly working !!

It only took a little over a trillion dollars to get the Dow back above 8,000 ..... :lol:

Last edited:
I'll bet any amount of money that stocks do better under Obama than under Bush.

I see you have little knowledge of real history.

When I can post links I will be happy to school you.

"Better" as defined how??

The return from the stock market will be greater under Obama than under Bush.
Interesting semantics.

Is it your stated opinion that markets exist "under" mere political hacks??
No question.

The country always does better with competent leadership.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Barry the Manchild and his peanut gallery of congressional Stalinists....competent.....Oh, to laugh!!

roflolrhard.gif

Last edited:
Fair enough.

That being the case, what would make you want to bet that someone who is choosing to intervene and meddle in those markets, at a rate unprecedented in more than 75 years -especially given the person in question's near total ignorance of market economics and lack of working experience in business- could make those markets more profitable??

It is an easy bet. The market did worse under Bush than any President since Hoover and now stocks are inexpensive.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/64052-stock-market-performance-by-president.html

That's not all Bush's fault. In fact, the performance of the markets had little to do with Bush because when he entered office, the markets were coming off the greatest over-valuations of all time. When Obama took office, the markets were the cheapest they had been in nearly two generations, and thus, the market performance going forward won't have much to do with Obama either, at least in the long-term.

Now, Obama's spending is going to grease the economy and the markets higher. Deficit spending usually does. What happens in a few years time when interest rates really start rising and taxes start going up is another matter, but over his term, because of the vast differences in asset price valuation, the markets will do much better under Obama than under Bush. That's why Republicans shouldn't point to what the stock market is doing on any given day or month as an indictment against the administration.

So I'm willing to bet any amount of money that stocks do better under Obama than under Bush.

First of all, stocks were over 14,000 before their precipitous fall, which was not significantly Shrubbie's doing anyways.

And the Dow at 14,000 was? You can pick and choose all you want, but the fact is that it happened under Bush's Presidency.

Secondly, since when did correlation equal causation??

Who said that it was? That's the point.

Like I said, political people put too much emphasis on politics.

How about a a different perspective from who operates congress.

The people that write the laws. and the effects from them

Should I prepare some tissue for you?

Do the Math: An Investors Graph

I'm not sure who that was direct to. If it was directed towards me, I will tell you that the market does best with a Democrat President and a Republican Congress. Next is a Republican President and a Democrat Congress. See a pattern there?

Thirdly is a Democrat President and a Democrat Congress. The worst performance is under a Republican President and a Republican Congress. As for these last two, there is a saying in investments that "People elect Democrats to create inflation then elect Republicans to cure it." So you'd expect stocks to do better in inflation than disinflation.

so you completely ignored the historical factual information.

Should I be surprised?

Forum List

Back