Two Japanese Smuggle 135 Billion In Bonds Into Italy

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Italy seizes 135 Billion in Bonds from two Japanese citizens. WTF?

Italy seizes $135B of US bonds from two Japanese citizens - International Business Times -
Two Japanese citizens carrying $134 billion worth of U.S. bonds were detained last week by Italy's financial police at Chiasso (40km from Milan) on the border between Italy and Switzerland, an Italian daily said Wednesday.
According to the report, they include 249 U.S. Treasury bonds each worth $500 million, plus 10 Kennedy bonds and other U.S. government securities worth a billion dollar each.
What the heck would that be all about? Why would they be trying to smuggle that amount of money? Are they trying to affect the markets, or the dollar, in some way? Maybe Japan want's to dump some of our debt without crashing the dollar?
Would the Japanese Yakuza or Italian Mafia have that kind of money? I don't think so.

There is speculation that China is going to offload their dollar holdings and convert it all to precious metals and comodities. The Japanese fear that possibility and it could be that several banks want to convert on the quiet. How they got caught in Italy without courier papers is beyond me.

Last edited:
If there are rumors that China is going to dump all their dollars for commodities, sell all your commodities to those people and buy dollars because that ain't happening.

If there are rumors that China is going to dump all their dollars for commodities, sell all your commodities to those people and buy dollars because that ain't happening.
Toro, I will believe what you say when I don't see it.

I was this close to liquidating my 401K and buying Gold. I honestly don't know what to even think now.

The bonds were fake. The supposodly were "kennedy bonds" issued in the 1930's. And they were in denominations the government never issued

$500 million denominated bonds?

How does one cash those in, do you suppose, without somebody noticing?

Forum List

Back