Dow futures slump more than 300 points as fears of a U.S.-China trade war ratchet up

Trying to make a large context political/economic "point" based on one morning's Dow futures is silly, ignorant, and transparently partisan.
Who is doing that? The point is being made on the trade war history and forecasts, Shirley?

(Newser) – The stock market opened on a down note and finished in pretty much the same place, all thanks to investor worries about a possible trade war between the US and China. The Dow lost 287 points to finish at 24,700, enough to wipe out all 2018 gains, reports MarketWatch. The index, which fell for the sixth straight day, is now down 0.1% for the year. The other major markets also fell—the S&P 500 slipped 11, or 0.4%, and the Nasdaq slid 21, or 0.3%.

The problem for investors is that the threats about tariffs and retaliatory moves are only growing more heated between President Trump and Beijing, rather than de-escalating as many had hoped. “It’s mainly the trade war that has created such panic in the market because the latest developments have surpassed the expectations of many people in China,” a senior analyst at Central China Securities tells the Wall Street Journal.
Dow Is Now in the Red for the Year
"Shirley"? I guess that's another insult. I guess that's just the way you guys are.

Find a local advisor and ask them if we pay any attention to this short term stuff. Go ahead. Ask five. All five will agree with me. Find ten.

The press always assigns simplistic reasons to short term fluctuations. And people like you buy it, WHEN it fits your politics. When.

This is my profession, and you're just another partisan.

Cnm asked you a simple question.

You typed: 'Trying to make a large context political/economic "point" based on one morning's Dow futures is silly, ignorant, and transparently partisan.'

And he asked you 'Who is doing that?'

So...?

Or are you too stupid/immature to answer that INCREDIBLY simple question?

And here is some advice for free. Stop claiming to be an professional investor/advisor...online bragging means nothing. You could be who you say or a 12 year old desperate for attention. It is impossible to know.

You might as well claim to be the Postmaster General.
Well, you are, of course. It's your thread.

Believe what you will. But I know, by this complete meltdown of yours, that you know I'm right.

Pretend whatever you'd like. You're simply out of your league here, in more ways than one.

:abgg2q.jpg:

LOL...okaaaaaaay.

So just exactly what 'large context political/economic "point" did I try to make with the OP post where I typed 'The DOW will now probably open down for the year...mostly thanks to Trump's stupid trade policies.'

All I see is a thread about how the recent drop in the DOW is being attributed to Trump's trade war threats. Every, major financial service has said basically the same thing.

I neither said nor hinted nor even thought that this was a major turning point or a sign of disaster or anything but a temporary setback for the DOW (unless Trump continues to ratchet up the threats. But I assume someone will eventually talk him out of that).

So again...what is this 'large context political/economic "point"' I am supposed to be making?

Trying to make a large context political/economic "point" based on one morning's Dow futures is silly, ignorant, and transparently partisan.
Who is doing that? The point is being made on the trade war history and forecasts, Shirley?

(Newser) – The stock market opened on a down note and finished in pretty much the same place, all thanks to investor worries about a possible trade war between the US and China. The Dow lost 287 points to finish at 24,700, enough to wipe out all 2018 gains, reports MarketWatch. The index, which fell for the sixth straight day, is now down 0.1% for the year. The other major markets also fell—the S&P 500 slipped 11, or 0.4%, and the Nasdaq slid 21, or 0.3%.

The problem for investors is that the threats about tariffs and retaliatory moves are only growing more heated between President Trump and Beijing, rather than de-escalating as many had hoped. “It’s mainly the trade war that has created such panic in the market because the latest developments have surpassed the expectations of many people in China,” a senior analyst at Central China Securities tells the Wall Street Journal.
"Shirley"? I guess that's another insult. I guess that's just the way you guys are.

Find a local advisor and ask them if we pay any attention to this short term stuff. Go ahead. Ask five. All five will agree with me. Find ten.

The press always assigns simplistic reasons to short term fluctuations. And people like you buy it, WHEN it fits your politics. When.

You typed: 'Trying to make a large context political/economic "point" based on one morning's Dow futures is silly, ignorant, and transparently partisan.'

So...?

And here is some advice for free. Stop claiming to be an professional investor/advisor...online bragging means nothing. You could be who you say or a 12 year old desperate for attention. It is impossible to know.

Believe what you will. But I know, by this complete meltdown of yours, that you know I'm right.

Pretend whatever you'd like. You're simply out of your league here, in more ways than one.

LOL...okaaaaaaay.

So just exactly what 'large context political/economic "point" did I try to make with the OP post where I typed 'The DOW will now probably open down for the year...mostly thanks to Trump's stupid trade policies.'

All I see is a thread about how the recent drop in the DOW is being attributed to Trump's trade war threats. Every, major financial service has said basically the same thing.

I said nor hinted nor even thought that this was a major turning point or a sign of disaster or anything but a temporary setback for the DOW (unless Trump continues to ratchet up the threats. But I assume someone will talk him out of that).

So again...what is this 'large context political/economic "point"' I am supposed to be making?
"Market dropping, that means Trump bad".

Standard shallow stuff.

And you are so stupid and/or childish. Because only an idiot/manchild makes assumptions like you just did with ZERO factual information to back them up.

1) I despise both parties. So there is zero 'partisanship' going on. I despised the way GWB AND Obama AND Trump handled/is handling the economy.

2) Where in the OP did I say anything about yesterday's market turn being significant or important or anything worth worrying about.

All I typed was 'The DOW will now probably open down for the year...mostly thanks to Trump's stupid trade policies.'

And unless you know virtually NOTHING about macroeconomics, you should know that is a true statement.

3) So do tell Mr. Expert on Macroeconomics (more like Mr. I am bored and like to troll the web), tell me EXACTLY what in my OP post was 'silly, ignorant and transparent'?

(this should be good for a laugh)
Wow, you're really triggered. Try to calm down.

This is my profession, and I find it pretty funny when wingers use one day - in fact, not even one day, but FUTURES - to (try to) make a point.

Both ends do it, and it betrays an abject ignorance of how markets work, particularly as they relate to macroeconomics.

I have to take this stuff seriously. You just attack people on the internet.

Have at it, celebrate the worst, if it makes you feel better. And I reserve the right to giggle.

I am not 'triggered'. I just LOVE to attack dickheads. For years I could not on other sites. It's so refreshing that I can here.

And I do this for a living too pal...have a BS in Economics as well.

Now either answer my question or have the guts to admit you were wrong.

So do tell Mr. Expert on Macroeconomics (more like Mr. I am bored and like to troll the web), tell me EXACTLY what in my OP post was 'silly, ignorant and transparent'?
I just told you. You tried to make a larger point based on one morning's market futures.

Only someone who is either a) completely ignorant of this topic, or b) consumed by political ideology would try something that absurd.

Would you like me to say it a third time, or are you lucid enough to understand?

I don't give a fuck what you were thinking when you typed it.

And again you dodged the question. I guess I have to make it simpler

For the third time dickhead...I typed the following: 'The DOW will now probably open down for the year...mostly thanks to Trump's stupid trade policies.'

And you typed: 'Gawd, this stuff is so silly, so ignorant, and so transparent.'

So what exactly about my post was:

- silly
- ignorant
- transparent.

You made the accusation asshole...now let's see you either justify it with facts or have the decency to withdraw it.

I assume you will do neither...just another dumb ass troll.
I've answered your question twice now. A normal adult would get it.

You're embarrassed and you're lashing out. I understand. I've had kids.

If you don't like my opinion, too bad. The fact that you're this angry & defensive just adds to my amusement for this thread.

I think I am going to have to go with, "He isn't lucid at all, let alone with regard to the markets".

Triggered is the correct word. Gotta love internet warriors.

So...?

LOL...okaaaaaaay.

I said nor hinted nor even thought that this was a major turning point or a sign of disaster or anything but a temporary setback for the DOW (unless Trump continues to ratchet up the threats. But I assume someone will talk him out of that).

"Market dropping, that means Trump bad".

Standard shallow stuff.

Was the Tuesday (and this week's) drop in the DOW primarily due to Trump's trade threats/tariffs?

Yes or no?

BTW, this is from Fox Business News today:

Dow slips 196 points as trade jitters continue

Was the Tuesday (and this week's) drop in the DOW primarily due to Trump's trade threats/tariffs? Yes or no?
Hard to say for sure. As I said, the media loves to provide simplistic reasons for complicated matters. I've made no moves for any of my clients based on these little day-to-day dramas, nor has anyone I know. We know that this situation could change tomorrow.

See, you get your market/economic "news", information and opinion from the media.

I get such information straight from analysts, researchers, wires, fund managers and industry peers whom I admire and trust.

You cherry-pick and post "news" items from these sites that match your opinion, and avoid/ignore that which does not.

I have no such luxury. I have to carefully and objectively analyze a variety of inputs, and make careful and sober judgements and decisions on that input that directly affect the financial well-being of my +/- 215 advisory clients and families and +/- 95 business clients.

So we're a little different. I have to take this stuff seriously, while you get to act like an angry and petulant eight-year-old on the internet.

Last edited:
Wow, you're really triggered. Try to calm down.

This is my profession, and I find it pretty funny when wingers use one day - in fact, not even one day, but FUTURES - to (try to) make a point.

Both ends do it, and it betrays an abject ignorance of how markets work, particularly as they relate to macroeconomics.

I have to take this stuff seriously. You just attack people on the internet.

Have at it, celebrate the worst, if it makes you feel better. And I reserve the right to giggle.

I am not 'triggered'. I just LOVE to attack dickheads. For years I could not on other sites. It's so refreshing that I can here.

So do tell Mr. Expert on Macroeconomics (more like Mr. I am bored and like to troll the web), tell me EXACTLY what in my OP post was 'silly, ignorant and transparent'?
I just told you. You tried to make a larger point based on one morning's market futures.

Only someone who is either a) completely ignorant of this topic, or b) consumed by political ideology would try something that absurd.

Would you like me to say it a third time, or are you lucid enough to understand?

For the third time dickhead...I typed the following: 'The DOW will now probably open down for the year...mostly thanks to Trump's stupid trade policies.'

- silly
- ignorant
- transparent.

You made the accusation asshole...now let's see you either justify it with facts or have the decency to withdraw it.

If you don't like my opinion, too bad. The fact that you're this angry & defensive just adds to my amusement for this thread.

I think I am going to have to go with, "He isn't lucid at all, let alone with regard to the markets".

Sometimes they go full drama queen like this.

This is one fascinating place.

Was the Tuesday (and this week's) drop in the DOW primarily due to Trump's trade threats/tariffs? Yes or no?
Hard to say for sure. As I said, the media loves to provide simplistic reasons for complicated matters. I've made no moves for any of my clients based on these little day-to-day dramas, nor has anyone I know.

See, you get your market/economic "news", information and opinion from the media.

I get such information straight from analysts, researchers, fund managers and industry peers whom I admire and trust.

You cherry-pick and post "news" items from these sites that match your opinion, and avoid/ignore that which does not.

I have to carefully analyze a variety of input, and make decisions on that input that directly affect the financial well-being of my +/- 215 advisory clients and families and +/- 95 business clients.

So we're a little different. I have to take this stuff seriously, and you act like an angry and petulant eight-year-old on the internet.

Blah blah blah....I told you, save the 'your profession' bullshit. No one with a properly working brain is buying it.

And no...I do not get my market data from the media...only idiots do that. But I cannot post links to my sources...so it has to be from the MSM.

And if you honestly do not realize that the main reason for the DOW drop this week is the trade troubles...then you are either lying about your job or you suck at it. It's as plain as friggin' day.

And for the last time you loser...I am not politically loyal to anyone. Both major political parties STINK. They are pathetic. And I have never and will never vote for them...either one.

I am an Austrian Schooler...so I am loyal to free trade. I am loyal to balanced budgets, low taxes, small government, less regulations, no Fed.
None of the last three POTUS's did any of these (Trump's lowering of corporate taxes - which were good - decrease in some regs and so on are FAR outweighed by his moronic trade ideas and his out-of-control spending).

Here is what I thought of the 'Great Recession', for example.

The best Americans are making the rules again...Hahaha

Little doubt you are too thick to see the truth of that either.

I had hoped from a post I saw of yours last week that you were reasonable. And I gave you a chance to prove you were. But your ridiculous assumptions, childish refusal to take responsibility for it and insistence on putting words in everyone's mouths shows that my initial deduction about you was erroneous.
LOL...it took two posters and five requests for you to answer one simple question.

So be it.

We are done here...now I know not to take you seriously in future.

Good day.

Hard to say for sure. As I said, the media loves to provide simplistic reasons for complicated matters. I've made no moves for any of my clients based on these little day-to-day dramas, nor has anyone I know.

I get such information straight from analysts, researchers, fund managers and industry peers whom I admire and trust.

I have to carefully analyze a variety of input, and make decisions on that input that directly affect the financial well-being of my +/- 215 advisory clients and families and +/- 95 business clients.

So we're a little different. I have to take this stuff seriously, and you act like an angry and petulant eight-year-old on the internet.

Blah blah blah....I told you, save the 'your profession' bullshit. No one with a properly working brain is buying it.

And no...I do not get my market data from the media...only idiots do that. But I cannot post links to my sources...so it has to be from the MSM.

And if you honestly do not realize that the main reason for the DOW drop this week is the trade troubles...then you are either lying about your job or you suck at it. It's as plain as friggin' day.

And for the last time you loser...I am not politically loyal to anyone. Both major political parties STINK. They are pathetic. And I have never and will never vote for them...either one.

I am an Austrian Schooler...so I am loyal to free trade. I am loyal to balanced budgets, low taxes, small government, less regulations, no Fed.
None of the last three POTUS's did any of these (Trump's lowering of corporate taxes - which were good - decrease in some regs and so on are FAR outweighed by his moronic trade ideas and his out-of-control spending).

Here is what I thought of the 'Great Recession', for example.

The best Americans are making the rules again...Hahaha

Little doubt you are too thick to see the truth of that either.

I had hoped from a post I saw of yours last week that you were reasonable. And I gave you a chance to prove you were. But your ridiculous assumptions, childish refusal to take responsibility for it and insistence on putting words in everyone's mouths shows that my initial deductions about you was wrong.

So be it.

We are done here...now I know not to take you seriously in future.

Good day.
And good day to you!

- silly
- ignorant
- transparent.

The stock market, the stock market!!!!

vd0AbDPr_400x400.jpg

- silly
- ignorant
- transparent.

The stock market, the stock market!!!!

vd0AbDPr_400x400.jpg
Seriously, I don't know how some folks make it through a freakin' day.

:rolleyes:

DOW futures are up 135. Looks like the losing streak might be coming to an end.

'Increased threat of a trade war is ramping up fears of a 'full-blown recession'

• Some economists worry that the escalation of trade tensions could tip the U.S. economy into recession.
    • A pullback would come just as GDP appears set to pull out of its post-financial crisis malaise, with the Federal Reserve projecting growth of 2.8 percent this year.
    • Looking at the current data, it would take a heavy shock to send the U.S. into recession, as consumer and business confidence is near record highs and the unemployment rate is at a generational low.'
  • 'Even as growth ramps up to what could be the fastest rate since before the financial crisis, economists are worried that a trade war could tip the U.S. into a significant slowdown or even a recession.

Fears over a GDP pullback come as President Donald Trump threatens another, more severe round of tariffs aimed both at China and the European Union.

Specifically, the worry is that the duties could spark a larger global trade war that triggers inflation and kills U.S. growth just as it appears to be accelerating out of its post-crisis malaise.

"Our calculations suggest that a major trade war would lead to a significant reduction in growth," Michelle Meyer, U.S. economist at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, said in a note. "A decline in confidence and supply chain disruptions could amplify the trade shock, leading to an outright recession. We continue to believe that the probability of a full blown trade war is low but the risks are rising and it remains a key uncertainty to our outlook."'
  • Increased threat of a trade war is ramping up fears of a 'full-blown recession'

Hard to say for sure.

Trump's trade war will soon hit 65 percent of global business leaders: CNBC survey
  • U.S. trade policy has become the top concern among chief financial officers, according to a CNBC quarterly survey.
  • Roughly two-thirds of North American and Asia-Pacific CFOs say U.S. trade policy will have a negative impact on their company over the next six months.
  • Seven of the 16 biggest declines in the Dow Jones Industrial Average this year have been sparked by trade concerns.
Nearly two-thirds of CFOs say US trade policy will hurt their companies over the next 6 months

Oh yeah...REALLY hard to say.

What a macroeconomic ignoramus you are.

One would have to be staggeringly inept to have you investing for them - if you are an investor/fund manager (which I seriously doubt). An idiot can see that a global trade war (if it happened) would negatively hit most major, multi-national companies (like those in the DOW). A first year high school student could figure that one out.

DUH.

You must have been one of those losers you told your 'clients' (yeah - like you have any) to 'hold' in late 2007 - just like the morons at the Fed basically did. While I completely liquidated my portfolio in early September '07'.

Don't bother replying - I will not read it. You are not worth my time....but I was bored, saw the article and got a chuckle thinking of your moronic post.

Hard to say for sure.

Trump's trade war will soon hit 65 percent of global business leaders: CNBC survey
  • U.S. trade policy has become the top concern among chief financial officers, according to a CNBC quarterly survey.
  • Roughly two-thirds of North American and Asia-Pacific CFOs say U.S. trade policy will have a negative impact on their company over the next six months.
  • Seven of the 16 biggest declines in the Dow Jones Industrial Average this year have been sparked by trade concerns.
Nearly two-thirds of CFOs say US trade policy will hurt their companies over the next 6 months

One would have to be staggeringly inept to have you investing for them - if you are an investor/fund manager (which I seriously doubt). An idiot can see that a global trade war (if it happened) would negatively hit most major, multi-national companies (like those in the DOW). A first year high school student could figure that one out.

DUH.

You must have been one of those losers you told your 'clients' (yeah - like you have any) to 'hold' in late 2007 - just like the morons at the Fed basically did. While I completely liquidated my portfolio in early September '07'.

Don't bother replying - I will not read it. You are not worth my time....but I was bored, saw the article and got a chuckle thinking of your moronic post.
I've noticed you do this "don't bother replying, I will not read it" thing quite often, mixed in with your standard personal insults and name-calling.

I wonder if you're like this in real life.

I'm so thankful I'm not like you.

We've already used up our Obama.
We don't have another one to bring us out of another Republican Recession.

DgZf3vtWsAAy6Qo.jpg

Hard to say for sure.

DUH.

I've noticed you do this "don't bother replying, I will not read it" thing quite often, mixed in with your standard personal insults and name-calling.

LOL...I knew you would respond...even though I told you I would not read it (and I didn't).

Your type - with a huge ego - ALWAYS has to have an audience.

I knew it as soon as you told some other poster that (paraphrasing) that he should just believe you because you said that you did this for a living.
LOL...like that is worth anything online.

And I am a trillionaire who owns all the Federal Reserve shares.

Have a nice day.

Hard to say for sure.

DUH.

LOL...I knew you would respond...even though I told you I would not read it (and I didn't).

Your type - with a huge ego - ALWAYS has to have an audience.

I knew it as soon as you told some other poster that (paraphrasing) that he should just believe you because you said that you did this for a living.
LOL...like that is worth anything online.

And I am a trillionaire who owns all the Federal Reserve shares.

Have a nice day.
Okay, you too!

Forum List

Back