Does unbiased news exist?

The more I hear and learn about politics and the media that reports on it, the less I trust either (politicians or media outlets). This includes all of the majors (CNN, msnbc, fox too).

I just think that every news site is biased in favor of their political affiliation, regardless of what side they are on.

I guess that led me to wonder, is there such thing as a totally unbiased, and honest news tv show or website out there, even if it's not a U.S based organization but one that does report on U.S. issues (such as BBC).

I'm just trying to find news I can trust, but I feel most U.S. based media is tainted. Perhaps there isn't a single reliable method of getting daily news that you can trust, but I thought I'd ask, to see what places most of you folks go to, to get your news.

Should news be unbiased?

If someone is a nazi. There is only one side to that news and it should not be unbiased.

If a person is trafficking in women, there is only one side and there should be a position taken.

If someone is a liar or dangerous there is only one side to that.

Or should we write nice things about things like child labor andy sweatshops?

And for the record the news has never been unbiased. If you think it was, you might want to take a look at some of ben franklin's stuff.

The more I hear and learn about politics and the media that reports on it, the less I trust either (politicians or media outlets). This includes all of the majors (CNN, msnbc, fox too).

I just think that every news site is biased in favor of their political affiliation, regardless of what side they are on.

I guess that led me to wonder, is there such thing as a totally unbiased, and honest news tv show or website out there, even if it's not a U.S based organization but one that does report on U.S. issues (such as BBC).

I'm just trying to find news I can trust, but I feel most U.S. based media is tainted. Perhaps there isn't a single reliable method of getting daily news that you can trust, but I thought I'd ask, to see what places most of you folks go to, to get your news.

Should news be unbiased?

If someone is a nazi. There is only one side to that news and it should not be unbiased.

If a person is trafficking in women, there is only one side and there should be a position taken.

And for the record the news has never been unbiased. If you think it was, you might want to take a look at some of ben franklin's stuff.

Ummm....that wasn't the question.

Should news be unbiased?

Ummm....that wasn't the question.
It actually was.

Not that I expect you to actually think or understand

`
`

The term "yellow journalism" in the US press, was coined in the mid 1890's , in reference to;
  1. scare headlines in huge print, often of minor news
  2. lavish use of pictures, or imaginary drawings
  3. use of faked interviews, misleading headlines, pseudoscience, and a parade of false learning from so-called experts
  4. emphasis on full-color Sunday supplements, usually with comic strips
  5. dramatic sympathy with the "underdog" against the system.

A truly ridiculous question.

The majority of legitimate news sources such as Reuters, the BBC, and the AP are perfectly unbiased and accurate in their reporting.

The rightwing lie that ‘the media’ are ‘biased’ or ‘can’t be trusted’ is as inane as it is false.

Conservatives’ unwarranted hostility toward ‘the media’ is due solely to news agencies reporting the facts and the truth which conflict with failed, wrongheaded conservative dogma.

We haven't had unbiased news since Walter Cronkite retired. News is now a combination of entertainment, disinformation and cheer leading for our team.
He was also biased. His reporting of the Tet offensive led Americans to believe we had lost the Vietnam war when in fact we had won.

The majority of legitimate news sources such as Reuters, the BBC, and the AP are perfectly unbiased and accurate in their reporting.

The rightwing lie that ‘the media’ are ‘biased’ or ‘can’t be trusted’ is as inane as it is false.

iu

Conservatives’ unwarranted hostility toward ‘the media’ is due solely to news agencies reporting the facts and the truth which conflict with failed, wrongheaded conservative dogma.

iu

News has always been biased to an extent, but the explosion of the internet has changed it entirely. That's another story.

To answer your question, unbiased news really doesn't exist. So you have to (a) learn to discern bias to some degree, (b) understand that bias most often manifests not in flat-out lies but in the avoidance and omission of contrary facts & information, and (c) get your information from various sources and do your best to analyze it and toss out as much bias as possible.

No, it's not easy. Yes, we should be able to get more objectivity from our press. But it just is what it is.

News has always been biased to an extent, but the explosion of the internet has changed it entirely.

To answer your question, unbiased news really doesn't exist. So you have to (a) learn to discern bias to some degree, (b) understand that bias most often manifests not in flat-out lies but in the avoidance and omission of contrary facts & information, and (c) get your information from various sources and do your best to analyze it and toss out as much bias as possible.

No, it's not easy. Yes, we should be able to get more objectivity from our press. But it just is what it is.

Except lately when so-called news sources just plain lie about Trump.

News has always been biased to an extent, but the explosion of the internet has changed it entirely.

Well, we've gone to a new level here. Most of the press has essentially suspended any objectivity that remained.

But Trump has largely brought this on himself. I was in that business for about 18 years, and I can tell you this: The one (1) thing that will animate and anger a "journalist" more than politics is if you challenge their "objectivity", their "professional integrity". That's their sacred ground. You cannot go there. They believe to their very core that their profession is sacrosanct and above all contempt. That being a "journalist" has endowed them with an organic vision, objectivity and ability to see all. I'm not kidding here.

So it was predictable that when Trump started in on this, all bets would be off.

Last edited:

Well, we've gone to a new level here. Most of the press has essentially suspended any objectivity that remained.

But Trump has largely brought this on himself. I was in that business for about 18 years, and I can tell you this: The one (1) thing that will animate and anger a "journalist" more than politics is if you challenge their "objectivity", their "professional integrity". That's their sacred ground. You cannot go there. They believe to their very core that their profession is sacrosanct and above all contempt. That being a "journalist" has endowed them with an organic vision, objectivity and ability to see all. I'm not kidding here.

So it was predictable that when Trump started in on this, all bets would be off.

So Trump "brought this on himself" by telling the truth about the media? You must realize that your "logic" is absurd. The main reason they are pissed is the fact that everyone knows what he says about the media is true.

So Trump "brought this on himself" by telling the truth about the media? You must realize that your "logic" is absurd. The main reason they are pissed is the fact that everyone knows what he says about the media is true.
Oh, come on. You're pretending that the way something is said doesn't matter. That insults don't matter. That hyperbole doesn't matter.

Never mind, I accidentally took the conversation seriously for a moment.

Oh, come on. You're pretending that the way something is said doesn't matter. That insults don't matter. That hyperbole doesn't matter.

Never mind, I accidentally took the conversation seriously for a moment.
Of course they matter, but being 100% guilty as charged also matters. A thief is often insulted if you call him a thief. That doen't alter the fact that the person pointing the finger did nothing wrong.

rofl.gif

Impact of AP's Retraction on Governor's Race

STORY REMOVED: BC-US--Alabama Senate-Bannon

NYT : Small correction at the bottom, later added.

Trump’s Deflections and Denials on Russia Frustrate Even His Allies

Hillary had emails with the AP running the stories by her before printing. Oh, so unbiased! /sarcasm.

Last edited:

Well, that's not really fair now is it? I mean, the left is all the time saying fox is biased and has an agenda. Point is, those claims are not exclusive to the right, the left says it also.

You seem very concerned.

Listen here, grasshopper. Find a source that has standards for journalism. They are marked by powerful editorial boards and requirements for accuracy and honesty.

When they make mistakes, they print or provide retractions. When they have a reporter who doesn't meet their standards, they shitcan the reporter.

Now, run along and find something else to be concerned about which feeds the narrative of the current shitbag in the WH.

The MSM is not unbiased. However it is controlled by the CIA and has been for some time. Look up Operation Mockingbird.

A recent proof of this was Trump's illegal and ignorant missile attack on Syria. What did the MSM say about it? They LOVED it....even though they shit on Trump every day, on all other issues. War is good for business.

The OP wants us to recommend any impartial news sources.

I cannot.

But I thought that the OP might like to know what Secretary of State Hillary Clinton once said when she spoke to a Senate panel:

"You may not agree with [Al Jazeera English television], but you feel you're getting real news around the clock instead of a million commercials and, you know, arguments between talking heads."

And this from one Dave Marash: "I think that just as ten years ago CNN was the role model, and thirty years ago it was the BBC, today [Al Jazeera English television] is the model of television news coverage."

Source for both quotations: The May - June, 2011, print edition of the Columbia Journalism Review.

Last edited:
So, from what I have gathered from the responses here is, we, as citizens, really do not a credible source with which to be informed. Again, this begs the question, how do we really know what is going on around us. If the news truly is agenda driven, then how can we trust anything that is reported?

Thanks for the replies.

Forum List

Back