Does the Joe average American...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by roomy, Jun 30, 2006.

1. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    really take much interest in politics, here in England it is a dead duck , on the whole.

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    About the same here. We got almost 50% of registered voters to turn out for the last election, and that was considered a phenomenal record-setter.

3. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    It angers me when those that don't vote start moaning about their lot, when challenged on their political stance they usually cry "I don't vote, it's a waste of time, they are all the same anyway".I say vote to make a difference or just shut the fuck up about it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    A friend of mine is interest in politics but does not vote in protest. I don't think it will ever work, but I assume not voting has to be considered a political option that does not automatically mean you cannot continue to opine on politics.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I totally agree. If you don't bother to vote, you forfeit your right to bitch, IMO.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I wouldn't say "cannot;" however, one's true political voice, such as that it is, is in the power of the vote. I have to question the convictions and sincerity of a person who wants to express political opinions all day but cannot take the time to back up his/her mouth.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    If somebody starts talking about not voting as a form of protest, that person is either a moron or lieing to you. The best way to protest all available candidates in a single election is to do what the Soviets did in their first 'free' election (all candidates were, of course, communists). They turned in blank ballots.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Honestly, it is a sad state of affairs. When I was younger, I voted for candidates. Anymore, I end up voting against a candidate and not so much for anyone. Agree with it or not, like it or not, IMO that's about what it comes down to.

I don't see that we the people are coming out the winner, or our interests being represented by either party. At this point in time; however, the Republicans in general are the lesser of two evils. I just wish they'd start acting like Republicans again.