Does Christianity Allow Nationalism?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by William Joyce, Apr 30, 2005.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
  2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
  3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Not sure about nationalism, but in Romans, Christians are told to be loyal to their civil autorities.
    I guess, in a way, this is an endorsement of Nationalism in the Bible.....

4. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I'm a practicing Catholic and very nationalist. Make of that whatever you will.

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    The Bible encourages us to be respectful of any authority that does not contradict God's teachings, and, in fact, there's many forms of nationalism throughout the Bible. Mainly, it's people of the Jewish nation standing up against their oppressors or uniting for a common cause, but there're a few others. For example, Paul often flaunted his Roman citizenship in order to avoid persecution by local governors, since Roman citizens could, if their life, liberty, or well being were at stake, demand the trial be relocated to Rome, where the courts favored Romans over non-Romans.

I, personally, have a very strong sense of nationalism towards to United States, and would die, surrounded by the bodies of my enemies, defending her. I would also die overthrowing an oppressive government that tried to ruin the heart and soul of America. At the Naval Academy, I swore to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foriegn and domestic. When I left, the government released me from that oath, but I did not.

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I can't link to hate sites from work, so I'm not going to try and read the article. But the Bible is clear that while we are to respect civil authorities, our citizenship is in heaven. Therefore, while there is nothing wrong with loving our country or having allegiance to our government, our ultimate allegiance should always be to Christ and His kingdom.