Does AI Scare You?

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
About half of software engineers are worried AI will kill us all off, Skynet-style.

I'm not really worried about it. I've used ChatGPT and it isn't much better than using Google. Seriously.

However, there is one interesting quirk about ChatGPT which made the news not too long ago.

A lawyer used ChatGPT to do his research for a legal case, and the judge figured out that some of the precedents cited in the lawyer's brief were fictitious.

Lawyers submitted bogus case law created by ChatGPT. A judge fined them $5,000​

In other words, ChatGPT made shit up!

This means AI is currently at the same intelligence level as a Fox News anchor.

But how human is it that AI makes shit up? Pretty damn human, if you ask me.

However, I don't want AI making shit up when I'm being scanned for a tumor.

"Sir, you have three days to live."

About half of software engineers are worried AI will kill us all off, Skynet-style.

I'm not really worried about it. I've used ChatGPT and it isn't much better than using Google. Seriously.

However, there is one interesting quirk about ChatGPT which made the news not too long ago.

A lawyer used ChatGPT to do his research for a legal case, and the judge figured out that some of the precedents cited in the lawyer's brief were fictitious.

Lawyers submitted bogus case law created by ChatGPT. A judge fined them $5,000

I might be, if forced to buy a vehicle with automated systems permanently connected to the World Wide Web.

Fuck, yeah!

I will most likely be gone by then but in time, a very distant future perhaps; in some way somehow, A.I will destroy society or cause a False Flag etc. that may lead to a World.War and we kill ourselves . Our species has shown itself to be extremely flawed anyways. Too brilliant but greedy for our own good. Dinosaurs lasted millions of years because they were simple, too simple to deflect an asteroid. Humans are too smart and too greedy to not destroy itself through its creations (and bad policies).

Ask the worker who was killed by the robot that thought he was a box that needed to go on a shelf.

I will most likely be gone by then but in time, a very distant future perhaps; in some way somehow, A.I will destroy society or cause a False Flag etc. that may lead to a World.War and we kill ourselves . Our species has shown itself to be extremely flawed anyways. Too brilliant but greedy for our own good. Dinosaurs lasted millions of years because they were simple, too simple to deflect an asteroid. Humans are too smart and too greedy to not destroy itself through its creations (and bad policies).
I'm an optimist. There are some human traits which AI will never be able to mimic.

I bet there were people who thought automobiles and electricity would be the end of us.

If anything, we'll be killed off by misinformation created on the internet by humans before AI gets us.

I'm an optimist. There are some human traits which AI will never be able to mimic.

I bet there were people who thought automobiles and electricity would be the end of us.

If anything, we'll be killed off by misinformation created on the internet by humans before AI gets us.
The misinformation will be created by A.I.

Early life, like the 70-80's
I once said......Nuclear War would Destroy the world.......Someday.
Sounds Reasonable.
It ONLY takes ONE dictator with POWER to achieve this goal.

Mid Life, like the 90's to Early 2000's
The thought of World Destruction was not as relevant, but there was Y2K.
Computers were going to be destroyed as we knew, and all HELL would happen.

2000's +
The advancement of the Internet, (I know it had previously been used by superiors decades ago)
but the advancement of SOCIAL MEDIA is what is truly going to HARM this World.

All of us here use the internet, and Social Media.
Some just use it to harm others.

It's ONLY going to get worse.
We see it EVERY DAY here on USMB.

It's sad.

Climate Change Destroying the Earth......LOOLLOOLLLLOLLLL....NOT
The Earth is 1,000's of Years away from immediate harm.
Millions or Billions of years away from destruction.

SOCIAL MEDIA might do the job.

Google Maps once directed me down the wrong way on a one-way street.

Much hilarity ensued.
Google maps once had me driving around and around the same block. I drove off a few blocks and redid the nav. It was fine.

Early life, like the 70-80's
I once said......Nuclear War would Destroy the world.......Someday.
Sounds Reasonable.
It ONLY takes ONE dictator with POWER to achieve this goal.

Mid Life, like the 90's to Early 2000's
The thought of World Destruction was not as relevant, but there was Y2K.
Computers were going to be destroyed as we knew, and all HELL would happen.

2000's +
The advancement of the Internet, (I know it had previously been used by superiors decades ago)
but the advancement of SOCIAL MEDIA is what is truly going to HARM this World.

All of us here use the internet, and Social Media.
Some just use it to harm others.

It's ONLY going to get worse.
We see it EVERY DAY here on USMB.

It's sad.

Climate Change Destroying the Earth......LOOLLOOLLLLOLLLL....NOT
The Earth is 1,000's of Years away from immediate harm.
Millions or Billions of years away from destruction.

SOCIAL MEDIA might do the job.
I spent way too much free time on Bulletin Board Systems (BBS) prior to the internet. Back then, Windows didn't exist. You had to write your own batch files and learn DOS and run utilities to troubleshoot your software.

It was a lot of fun. It really was.

BBS was pretty cool. Eventually, though, I burned out. I had stacks and stacks and stacks of floppy disks of programs I had downloaded from other people's computers over the BBS.

The most powerful personal computer available at the time had a 40 megabyte hard drive. We thought that was the shit. :lol:

So when the internet came along, I was too fried at first to take an interest.

I remember the very first internet web site I saw. It was 1993, and one of my young troopers called me over to look at his computer. He had a Russian mail-order bride web site open.

As a Cold Warrior, I felt a tremendous sense of pride. Here was the perfect metaphor for our victory over the commies!

Nevertheless, it would be five more years before I bought another personal computer.

Doesn't AI get all of its information from what stupid assholes on the Internet submit in the first place?
Yep. That's why I said it isn't much better than Google at the moment.

However, in the example I gave above, ChatGPT manufactured legal cases which don't exist. It did not get those from the internet. It just made them up out of thin air.

This qualifies ChatGPT to be a Fox News anchor.

Forum List

Back