Doctors growing sick of fatasses

I started working out when I was 17 and have continued to this day. it only takes 20 minutes a day. Not that hard. People always ask me how I stay in such great shape. I laugh and say, it is not that hard.

Why would doctors complain? Fat people are big business for them, aren't they?

They used to be. Now they are big business for the taxpayer to support. Doctors will be caring much less about your health because they have no stake in your repeat business.

I started working out when I was 17 and have continued to this day. it only takes 20 minutes a day. Not that hard. People always ask me how I stay in such great shape. I laugh and say, it is not that hard.

Exactly. I do an hour a day. Its simple. I don't believe people when they say they don't have time, or its too hard. Its just that they are lazy.

I would like to point out that it is not necessary to "workout" in order to maintain a healthy weight.

Is exercise good for you? Proper exercise is. I walk my dogs a lot, plus am always busy around the house running up and down the stairs.

The main component in keeping your weight down, though, is controlling your calorie intake.

Obesity will soon be seen as a "disorder."

It already is. You can eat as much as you like and then insist that its not your fault and you are just 'addicted' to food.

I read stories every day about people who have successfully lost hundreds of pounds because they made a commitment to do it, so it's not like it's impossible to do. Unless there is a real medical condition causing this type of weight gain in a person, then I really have no sympathy for them. I will grant it that some people have it easier than others keeping their weight at an optimum level, but that is no excuse to be massively obese.

Some people might have a medical condition that makes them predisposed to gain weight, but that is no excuse for ending up the size of a house. There is no medical condition in the world that makes you grow to 600 pounds.

Some people might have a medical condition that makes them predisposed to gain weight, but that is no excuse for ending up the size of a house. There is no medical condition in the world that makes you grow to 600 pounds.
True enough what I tell people is that the evidence for that is you used to have to pay money at a circus to see someone like that.

True, I did have a friend in high school who would eat salads and he still gained weight. His Dr said he had an extremely low metabolism.

Exactly. I do an hour a day. Its simple. I don't believe people when they say they don't have time, or its too hard. Its just that they are lazy.

+++++ You have discovered the key to good health, and you are still a young 'un.

True, I did have a friend in high school who would eat salads and he still gained weight. His Dr said he had an extremely low metabolism.

Salads? I have to comment on that. Depending on what is in them, and on them, some salads are very fattening. It's not the lettuce or the other vegetables, it's all the other stuff. And the nice piece of garlic toast people often have with their salad.

My husband used to cook at a popular bistro and he'd laugh his ass off when people would come in and order "salads" because they were trying to lose weight. He would describe to me the ingredients in their salads and the dressings and I would roll my eyes...because being on Weight Watcher's I could never fit one of those salads into my daily diet. It would take up too many of my allotted "points"! :)

The salads are fine on their own - its when you add the dressing. That alone adds on about 1000 KJs.

I eat salads about everyday. I just use olive oil and sometimes add vinegar. Once your taste buds get used to not being rocked with massive flavor you need less flavor and the food tastes better.

Obesity will soon be seen as a "disorder."

It already is. You can eat as much as you like and then insist that its not your fault and you are just 'addicted' to food.

And, just as smokers can sue cig makers and drunks can sue the bar, we will soon have people suing grocery stores for selling them Twinkies.

BTW, the patient in the article weighs 600#. That's more than three normal people combined.

The salads are fine on their own - its when you add the dressing. That alone adds on about 1000 KJs.

I'm vegetarian but I don't eat all that much salad. When I do, I make my own dressing. That puts me in control of the fat and calories.

I would like to point out that it is not necessary to "workout" in order to maintain a healthy weight.

Is exercise good for you? Proper exercise is. I walk my dogs a lot, plus am always busy around the house running up and down the stairs.

The main component in keeping your weight down, though, is controlling your calorie intake.

Exactly!

The portion sizes served in this nation are part of the problem. People expect a plate heaped with high calorie food. They have no idea how much they are consuming versus the amount they actually need. Food that is laced with completely unnecessary sugar means more calories per bite. The reason it is overladen with sugar is because it improves the taste. Growing up I had to add sugar to my cereal whereas nowadays what is in the packet already has way too much per portion.

So yes, people are to blame for consuming too much but so is the free market system that seeks to make a profit from consumers eating their products. Now if anyone dares to suggest that there should be some way to stop a child from being able to purchase a 32 oz cup of enough sugar water to last a week there is an outcry about the "nanny state"!

Somewhere in the middle there is a solution. We know that the free market won't stop pushing sugar like a dealer trying to recruit addicts. We know that expecting people to learn how to interpret obscure labels on packages doesn't work either.

So what are the practical, feasible alternatives?

Obscure labels on packages? They don't seem that obscure to me. I read labels all the time. And dates on perishable items.

I went to purchase a package of ham at Walmart today and the "use by" date on it was March 30. I see people grabbing packages or containers of food and not bothering to check the dates all the time! So, I took out a pen and circled the date on that package of ham three or four times and placed it where it could readily be seen.

I am a consumer advocate. :)

Last edited:

Exactly!

The portion sizes served in this nation are part of the problem. People expect a plate heaped with high calorie food. They have no idea how much they are consuming versus the amount they actually need. Food that is laced with completely unnecessary sugar means more calories per bite. The reason it is overladen with sugar is because it improves the taste. Growing up I had to add sugar to my cereal whereas nowadays what is in the packet already has way too much per portion.

So yes, people are to blame for consuming too much but so is the free market system that seeks to make a profit from consumers eating their products. Now if anyone dares to suggest that there should be some way to stop a child from being able to purchase a 32 oz cup of enough sugar water to last a week there is an outcry about the "nanny state"!

Somewhere in the middle there is a solution. We know that the free market won't stop pushing sugar like a dealer trying to recruit addicts. We know that expecting people to learn how to interpret obscure labels on packages doesn't work either.

So what are the practical, feasible alternatives?

I get annoyed because I'll see these really fat people and they don't even try to lose weight because they think they have to exercise and they just can't do it. I tell them DON'T EXERCISE! You don't need to exercise to lose weight! Maybe after you've lost some weight you'll feel more like exercising, but you don't have to do it.

They're like all shocked because they think it's mandatory to exercise. If losing weight is your primary goal, it is not necessary to exercise.

After you've lost 50 pounds you'll probably feel a lot more inclined to start moving around!

My sister's neighbor works at a podiatrist's office. She said since the ACA kicked in, they're getting an inordinate amount of overweight folks making appointments for pedicures, massages, treatments, etc. One gal who comes in always insists on "the works".

Then the other day this really big guy came in and said he wanted them to wash his feet and cut his toenails. :lol:

Forum List

Back