Do you think you need/needed Algebra and/or Geometry?

yiostheoy

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2016
On The PBS News Hour, the question was asked whether Algebra and/or Geometry are useful at all.

The professorial commentator who has written a book challenging this view said it would make more sense to learn business math, and governmental math, and other kinds of advanced arithmetic rather than Algebra or Geometry.

While I myself enjoyed Algebra, Geometry, Trig, and Calculus, the arithmetic and the business and government math was certainly more important and useful -- which I did not learn until college.

Should it be the other way around? Should we save Algebra and Geometry for college instead?

Thinking about math in terms of literacy, not levels

Part of education is developing the mental discipline to tackle subjects that require analysis and resolution of problems that are not necessarily a part of the student's everyday life. It's good preparation for later life, no matter what one is doing to make a living.

One could make a pretty good argument that most people could get through life with just reading and basic arithmetic, and if you need anything more than that, it should be taught in a trade school or college.

Taking it up a couple levels, can anyone make a logical case why a dermatologist needs to spend four years in medical school and three or four more as a resident? I suspect that a smart person could learn everything there is to know about skin in six months. Dental school? Three weeks, tops.

The main function of our schools is to act as a massive daycare system, keeping kids out of trouble for as long as possible ("free" college, anyone?). Make them study algebra and geometry. It couldn't hurt. Otherwise, they will be studying Howard Zinn's history book.

On The PBS News Hour, the question was asked whether Algebra and/or Geometry are useful at all.

The professorial commentator who has written a book challenging this view said it would make more sense to learn business math, and governmental math, and other kinds of advanced arithmetic rather than Algebra or Geometry.

While I myself enjoyed Algebra, Geometry, Trig, and Calculus, the arithmetic and the business and government math was certainly more important and useful -- which I did not learn until college.

Should it be the other way around? Should we save Algebra and Geometry for college instead?

Thinking about math in terms of literacy, not levels

While there are topics in Algebra that may only apply if you pursue a specific field needing them, basic algebra skills can apply to just about anything you do including being able to function in life.

I'm not sure what you mean by business math or governmental math. Do you mean statistics? I think everyone should have Algebra at least before they gradual high school. It is a foundational math that we see in everyday life as in the speed of your car related to how long it takes you to get from A to B for example. Geometry is a bit more narrow in it's application but statistics IMO does not get the attention it deserves. Statistics are thrown at us every day and having an understanding where the numbers come from would be very helpful to the average person regardless of whether that person uses statistics in their job.

I've been in the medical field for almost 34 years now. Back when I started we calculated a lot of formulas for a great many different things. I used algebra a lot. Now, most equipment has computers in them that do those calculations for you. Including medication titrations.

Accounting would make sense. But then people might notice that economists can't do algebra.

Don't all of the automobiles in the United States depreciate? So what do Americans lose on that every year? People might notice Planned Obsolescence if that case.

Economic Wargames

psik

Forum List

Back