Do you smoke pot???

• Total voters
United States Patent 6,630,507
Hampson , et al. October 7, 2003
**Please see images for:
( Certificate of Correction ) **
Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants

Abstract

Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##

Inventors: Hampson; Aidan J. (Irvine, CA), Axelrod; Julius (Rockville, MD), Grimaldi; Maurizio (Bethesda, MD)
Assignee: The United States of America as represented by the Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC)
Family ID: 26767641
Appl. No.:
09/674,028
Filed:
February 2, 2001
PCT Filed:
April 21, 1999
PCT No.:
PCT/US99/08769
PCT Pub. No.:
WO99/53917
PCT Pub. Date:
October 28, 1999

Current U.S. Class: 514/454
Current CPC Class:
A61K 31/35 (20130101)
Current International Class: A61K 31/35 (20060101); A61K 031/35 ()
Field of Search: ;514/454
References Cited [Referenced By] U.S. Patent Documents

2304669 December 1942 Adams
4876276 October 1989 Mechoulam et al.
5227537 July 1993 Stoss et al.
5284867 February 1994 Kloog et al.
5434295 July 1995 Mechoulam et al.
5462946 October 1995 Mitchell et al.
5512270 April 1996 Ghio et al.
5521215 May 1996 Mechoulam et al.
5538993 July 1996 Mechoulam et al.
5635530 June 1997 Mechoulam et al.
5696109 December 1997 Malfroy-Camine et al.
6410588 June 2002 Feldmann et al.

Foreign Patent Documents
[...]

Other References
[...]

United States Patent: 6630507

Government health experts warn in a new report that the risks of consuming marijuana-infused edibles like weed brownies and other snacks mustn’t be understated following the suicide last year of a man whose death has been blamed on pot.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Friday that there’s “a potential danger” that comes with consuming marijuana-infused edibles, evidenced by an incident last March in which a 19-year-old man jumped to his death from the fourth-floor balcony of a Denver hotel while high.

Levy Thamba ate an entire marijuana cookie that had been purchased from a licensed and legal pot shop in Colorado, despite the clerk having advised that it be split up and consumed in small portions.

Soon after he began to exhibit what witnesses described as erratic behavior, then, according to the Denver coroner’s report, “The decedent eventually reportedly jumped out of bed, went outside the hotel room and jumped over the balcony railing.”

CDC warns of dangers of marijuana edibles

You're right. Improper use can result in bad things happening. But what do you expect? Some people don't listen to what they are told when instructed on proper use at the 420 shop. One of the things that all 420 shops that I've been in, is they ask you if you've used cannabis before, and then they tell you how many doses are in each edible.

Liquor stores don't tell you to not drink the whole bottle of scotch, they just sell you the product.

What kind of result do you think would have happened if he'd drank a whole bottle of scotch? Generally, a brownie has anywhere from 4 to 10 doses, depending on the brand, and you aren't supposed to eat the whole thing in one sitting. You are supposed to eat the amount for dosage, wait at least 30 min to see if there are effects, and if so, stop. If not, eat one more dose and wait another 30 min.

Government health experts warn in a new report that the risks of consuming marijuana-infused edibles like weed brownies and other snacks mustn’t be understated following the suicide last year of a man whose death has been blamed on pot.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Friday that there’s “a potential danger” that comes with consuming marijuana-infused edibles, evidenced by an incident last March in which a 19-year-old man jumped to his death from the fourth-floor balcony of a Denver hotel while high.

Levy Thamba ate an entire marijuana cookie that had been purchased from a licensed and legal pot shop in Colorado, despite the clerk having advised that it be split up and consumed in small portions.

Soon after he began to exhibit what witnesses described as erratic behavior, then, according to the Denver coroner’s report, “The decedent eventually reportedly jumped out of bed, went outside the hotel room and jumped over the balcony railing.”

You're right. Improper use can result in bad things happening. But what do you expect? Some people don't listen to what they are told when instructed on proper use at the 420 shop. One of the things that all 420 shops that I've been in, is they ask you if you've used cannabis before, and then they tell you how many doses are in each edible.

Liquor stores don't tell you to not drink the whole bottle of scotch, they just sell you the product.

What kind of result do you think would have happened if he'd drank a whole bottle of scotch? Generally, a brownie has anywhere from 4 to 10 doses, depending on the brand, and you aren't supposed to eat the whole thing in one sitting. You are supposed to eat the amount for dosage, wait at least 30 min to see if there are effects, and if so, stop. If not, eat one more dose and wait another 30 min.

like i said before

i dont care if someone does dope

that is their business

as far as i care it should be legal

i just dont care for folks calling this or any drug "harmless"

any of which can and will be abused

i have seen chronic drug abuse and the damage done

Liquor stores don't tell you to not drink the whole bottle of scotch

indeed

however there is a warning label on the bottle

and not a lot of folks running around saying it is "harmless"

--LOL

like i said before

that is their business

indeed

--LOL

Interesting......you state that you have seen chronic drug abuse and the damage done (kinda sounds like a Neil Young song), but you only are going against marijuana, which is one of the LEAST damaging substances, and it has also been shown to have medicinal value.

And no...............there are zero warnings on a bottle of Scotch. Matter of fact, there are very few warnings on any kind of alcohol.

Show me a warning label on a bottle of Dalmore Scotch. I dare you.

like i said before

that is their business

indeed

--LOL

Interesting......you state that you have seen chronic drug abuse and the damage done (kinda sounds like a Neil Young song), but you only are going against marijuana, which is one of the LEAST damaging substances, and it has also been shown to have medicinal value.

And no...............there are zero warnings on a bottle of Scotch. Matter of fact, there are very few warnings on any kind of alcohol.

Show me a warning label on a bottle of Dalmore Scotch. I dare you.

you state that you have seen chronic drug abuse and the damage done (kinda sounds like a Neil Young song), but you only are going against marijuana
where in the hell did i say i was against marijuana ???????

in fact the post above this one i stated

i dont care if someone uses dope

and in fact as far as i care it should be legal

Show me a warning label on a bottle of Dalmore Scotch. I dare you

can you read at all --LOL

img_816_2.jpg

thanks for daring me fuckhead

Last edited:
you could have really saved yourself from looking silly

with a simple google search

--LOL

Alcoholic Beverage Labeling Act
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Alcoholic Beverage Labeling Act (ABLA) of the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988, Pub.L. 100–690, 102 Stat. 4181, enacted November 18, 1988, H.R. 5210, is a United States federal law requiring that (among other provisions) the labels of alcoholic beverages carry a government warning.

The warning reads:

“ GOVERNMENT WARNING:
(1) According to the Surgeon General, women should not drink alcoholic beverages during pregnancy because of the risk of birth defects.

(2) Consumption of alcoholic beverages impairs your ability to drive a car or operate machinery, and may cause health problems.

The ABLA also contains a declaration of policy and purpose, which states that the United States Congress finds that

“ the American public should be informed about the health hazards that may result from the consumption or abuse of alcoholic beverages, and has determined that it would be beneficial to provide a clear, nonconfusing reminder of such hazards, and that there is a need for national uniformity in such reminders in order to avoid the promulgation of incorrect or misleading information and to minimize burdens on interstate commerce.

Never did much at all. Never did like it. But as I wised up I could see the Weed attraction. I was not smart enough to use only harmless stuff like Weed.

But almost anything else I came across over the years. Now, nothing but DR. pills. And the bastard Chinese Texan Doctor won't give Vicodin......Love those opiates. Yes I admit it.

I hate how Vicodin makes me feel, and still have pills from a surgery a few years back... But if you give me a Valium, oh yeah I love those . So I keep as far away from it as possible..
I did a lot of harder things in younger days too.. So much fun, yet some real stupid days..lol

Only smoked pot.

Never needed pills, crack, ICE, Acid ( LSD ) or any other hard stuff. I prefer to hit the herb than drank but Texas is against the Herb and love the drink!

You must have never used mushrooms...lol I did a 20 mile walk-a-thon back in the 1970's on mushrooms with my girlfriends and laughed hysterically the whole way...lol

There are not too many of us from the 60's-70's that didn't do acid or mushrooms..

Did you hear that in Arizona the Big pharma money stopped pot from becoming legal, but passed their corrupt ass for selling pharmaceutical marijuana?

Inside big pharma's fight to block recreational marijuana
I try to practice, sauteeing mushrooms, whenever its in the budget.

Never did much at all. Never did like it. But as I wised up I could see the Weed attraction. I was not smart enough to use only harmless stuff like Weed.

But almost anything else I came across over the years. Now, nothing but DR. pills. And the bastard Chinese Texan Doctor won't give Vicodin......Love those opiates. Yes I admit it.

I hate how Vicodin makes me feel, and still have pills from a surgery a few years back... But if you give me a Valium, oh yeah I love those . So I keep as far away from it as possible..
I did a lot of harder things in younger days too.. So much fun, yet some real stupid days..lol

Only smoked pot.

Never needed pills, crack, ICE, Acid ( LSD ) or any other hard stuff. I prefer to hit the herb than drank but Texas is against the Herb and love the drink!

You must have never used mushrooms...lol I did a 20 mile walk-a-thon back in the 1970's on mushrooms with my girlfriends and laughed hysterically the whole way...lol

There are not too many of us from the 60's-70's that didn't do acid or mushrooms..

Did you hear that in Arizona the Big pharma money stopped pot from becoming legal, but passed their corrupt ass for selling pharmaceutical marijuana?

Inside big pharma's fight to block recreational marijuana
I could never get passed the taste of mushrooms..

Aren't they grown in pastures with cow patties?
You can watch videos on that subject on YouTube.

Forum List

Back