Do you shop at Walmart?

Do you shop at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters
Wow. Wal mart is the number one killer of small business in America no matter what anyone says. There is no way local small businsess can compete with Wal Marts low prices. We got Wal Mart and within a year main street was 50% vacant. Chineese products killing American small business in the womb. Yet they want us to think it's Obama care. They say that small business needs all the breaks they can get, and the way that the US government backs big business over small business I can agree. Large business, with their bought and paid for politicians, kill off their competition through over regulation every day. Talk about saving American small business than go shop at Wal Mart, it just doesn't sound right. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, our choices our being taken away. No monopolies but how many cable tv options do you have? ever tried to change electric companies?

Do I shop at Wal Mart? yes.
Do I like it? no.
Do I have an economical alternative? no.
When the oportunity arises to shop else where do I take it? absolutely.

Of course small business can compete with a big box store. The small mom and pop junkshop sells exactly the same crap Wal Mart sells, they just charge double the price. That's why they go out of business. The answer isn't to deny the consumer the opportunity to pay a more fair price. Wal Mart like all major stores is an anchor. A dozen or more stores and shops will open next to a Wal Mart. Wal Mart doesn't kill small business, it advances it.

I'm not planning on shedding any tears - or spending twice as many dollars - over business people who don't learn to adapt to current economic realities and make wise choices based on them. I didn't get my panties in a ruffle when the changing economic world took down Montgomery Ward's, A & P, etc., and I'm not intending to do it for smaller businesses, either.

Life sucks. Wear a helmet and kwitcher bellyaching.

Wow. Wal mart is the number one killer of small business in America no matter what anyone says. There is no way local small businsess can compete with Wal Marts low prices. We got Wal Mart and within a year main street was 50% vacant. Chineese products killing American small business in the womb. Yet they want us to think it's Obama care. They say that small business needs all the breaks they can get, and the way that the US government backs big business over small business I can agree. Large business, with their bought and paid for politicians, kill off their competition through over regulation every day. Talk about saving American small business than go shop at Wal Mart, it just doesn't sound right. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, our choices our being taken away. No monopolies but how many cable tv options do you have? ever tried to change electric companies?

Do I like it? no.

Of course small business can compete with a big box store. The small mom and pop junkshop sells exactly the same crap Wal Mart sells, they just charge double the price. That's why they go out of business. The answer isn't to deny the consumer the opportunity to pay a more fair price. Wal Mart like all major stores is an anchor. A dozen or more stores and shops will open next to a Wal Mart. Wal Mart doesn't kill small business, it advances it.

I'm not planning on shedding any tears - or spending twice as many dollars - over business people who don't learn to adapt to current economic realities and make wise choices based on them. I didn't get my panties in a ruffle when the changing economic world took down Montgomery Ward's, A & P, etc., and I'm not intending to do it for smaller businesses, either.

Then I hope you are not a republican who blames Obama for the coal mines shutting down on the east coast. Just sayin.

No I don't shop at Walmart. I gave it a few tries, but no mas!
The reasons are,,,their Great Value products (at least in the grocery section) suck. (My wife is a gourmet cook and she would know :razz:). Second, the aisles are way too narrow, so if someone is in the aisle you want to shop and they have a shopping cart and so do I, well look for a traffic jam, I hate that. They never have enough cashiers at their cash registers. so you wait and wait. It's hard to find help to direct you to where a product is; in other words, poor customer service.
I like Target better if I want something on the cheap. I go to Ma & PA stores to help save Main Street America is the biggest reason. I see Walmart destroying Americana is the main reason I don't/won't shop Walmart. And I'll pay the extra price to keep Main Street vital. Main Street America is that important to me.

Last edited:
If the store had the lowest price on something that I wanted yes I would. For those who feel victimized by Walmart's practices I suggest they make themselves better equipped for the job market. Opportunities are plentiful for those who possess the best qualifications, market themselves well and have the wherewithal to commit to what the job market demands.

What dream world do you live in? I'm 51 and have tried to get a job since the economy tanked in '08. Well educated, experienced, but yet never even get in for an interview after submitting enough resumes to wall paper a house.

You are doing something about your plight, I assume. That is not what I am talking about.

However, is there a reason why you are not working in Wal-Mart?

I understand WalMart isn't fond of hiring ill-mannered, curmudgeonly assholes, so that might be it.

Do I like it? no.

As is the case with our local hardware store garden supplier and pet store pool supplier etc...

Now, see, I shop at the small hardware store near my house instead of Home Depot because Home Depot's employees typically don't know their asses from their elbows when it comes to home repair. With WalMart, though, I don't NEED their employees to know anything besides where stuff is located. I'm not asking THEM for advice. If I was, it might be different.

Small businesses need to understand that to compete in an economy that has big box stores, you have to find something to provide your customers that the box stores can't, be it superior service and assistance, specialty "niche" items, or whatever. Those businesses which understand this concept survive and thrive. The ones who can't move out of the past, where Mom-and-Pop stores supplied the basic necessities of life to everyone, die. It's as simple as that.

Nope, but when I want inferior products, I surely know where to go.

How is a GE light bulb sold at Walmart inferior to a GE light bulb sold at Walgreen's?
How is a bottle of Ecco Domani wine sold at Walmart inferior to a bottle of Ecco Domani wine sold at your local liquor store?
How is a Sony TV sold at Walmart inferior to a Sony TV sold at any other electronics store?

Be specific.

He seems to think that WalMart's generic store brands are somehow inferior to the generic store brands sold at other stores. Or something. Not really sure.

Do I like it? no.

So much for defending small business. So it is just a republican talking point.

You don't defend small business by turning shopping into a charitable act.

so campbell's soup is a different campbells soup at walmart? How about gurbers baby food and pampers? Tide detergent and Dawn dishwashing liquid?

the list is endless... National brands are national brand products. The dont come from china either.

Can get any and all of that stuff at my local grocery store or even Kroger if I want to shop more upscale. I'm talking about crappy Wal-Mart brands like Mainstays and the like.

I only concern myself for getting the quality that I pay for, the rest is irrelevant. Based on what I've bought from Wal-Mart in the past, this has not been the case by and large.

Walmart does not just offer crappy walmart brands. I am not talking about that stuff

I make my comparisons with the exact same thing i get at lucky, safeway, wall greens, target ect. You cant beat walmart prices on national brand stuff.

I too purchase for quality... and can afford anything i want. And still shop at walmart. Why... becasue its the same thing at a better price.

Smart, experienced shoppers ALSO know when the generic store brand is just fine, and when it's necessary to spend a little more for the name brand.

Clearly, very few of the leftists on this board are smart, experienced shoppers.

Oh I agree, it is a very NICE store, I'm glad we have it.

But if there was a freddy's and a walmart side by side, I'd go to walmart. Particularly for food.

I have two Fry's - the local Kroger supermarket - within a couple miles of my house, and also a WalMart Neighborhood Market. I do most of my shopping at Fry's, because their overall pricing and selection is actually better, but I also go to the WalMart Market for certain things they carry that Fry's doesn't, such as my favorite brand of Mexican rice pudding cups and their fresh sushi bar, and for special sale items they may be having(there's no place like WalMart for a sale on Diet Coke).

were those jobs ever intended to be primary incomes?

Uh...yes, they are the ONLY incomes they have. Period.
I have a problem with 10 year olds working 14 hour days - obviously you do not.

if they are 10 year olds it is not their primary income

and I wasreall referring to Wal mart employees

Actually, it might be. Third-world countries are very different from first-tier, a fact that leftists never seem to comprehend. It's a source of never-ending fascination to watch the left hamstring every chance the third world has of advancing, all in the name of helping it advance.

if they are 10 year olds it is not their primary income

and I wasreall referring to Wal mart employees

WalMart employees are not the reason WalMart is successful.
WalMart is successful because they sell products Americans want at the lowest price possible. Which means 10 year olds working 14 hour days. Which means slave labor, people earning $.12 an hour living on dirt floors...all so you can buy a new Mattell toy for $4 instead of $5.99.

A documentary I saw showed little girls putting together tacky little Barbie doll packages to be sent to WalMart (among others). It pointed out that the child workers did not make enough to actually buy one of the dolls.

:blahblah: And now it's supposed to be a scandalous newsflash that children in impoverished third-world countries can't afford to buy toys.

Lemme ask you something, dumbass. How likely do you think it'll be for children in that country to EVER have toys - and clean water, education, food, other frivolous shit like that - if companies from first-tier nations DON'T go open factories there and give people jobs? What do you suppose those little girls did for money to feed their families before that factory opened? Have you ever even considered these questions, or did you just leap straight to outrage that third-world jobs don't pay the same dollar amounts as jobs in America?

My wife's friend (who is an AF Dependent Wife and Japanese) worked at a WalMart for a year or so when her husband was stationed at nearby Andrews AFB. They promoted her real quick and wanted to put her into Management but she turned it down.

She said working for WalMart was ok it's just the workers there are just too lazy and stupid (Well, she used Polite Japanese to describe them but that's basically what she said) . She said that she was called upon to finish up what the workers couldn't do (which was often) and apparently was fast tracked for management because of that.

She was real happy to leave.

I try not to shop at WalMart so we go to Giant and Wegmans instead but we do occasionally stop in for one or two items on the way home from somewhere.

My impression of WalMart is that it's a filthy, Illegal Alien magnet. Whenever I'm in there I just wanna' get the f*ck out as soon as possible.

Its the same around where I live Walmarts are just plain nasty that's why I go to Target a much cleaner and has better service

I shop Costco .. they're fair to their employees.

I wish we had Cosco around here, I've had occasion to use their brand in several items and they are quality.. My city has Walmart. I go sometimes but I don't especially like it. Cheap product average prices.

Exactly what are these other brands you think Costco and other stores are selling that WalMart doesn't? What are these "cheap product" brands WalMart has that other stores don't deign to sully themselves with?

In other words, what the fuck are you blathering about?

We are losing the middle class because more and more of the middle class is being forced into government dependency. The government answer is to pay as much in dependency as the middle class used to make by working.

In reality, no one cares that someone in Bangladesh is making $43.00 a month because $43.00 a month is a substantial middle class lifestyle in Bangladesh. Having ten year olds working 14 hour days is an acceptable trade off to having ten year olds pedaling their ten year old asses on the street for 25 cents a roll. In Bangladesh there is no government provided welfare. It may feel noble to liberals to have these kids dying of starvation in back alleys, but it really is better for them to work 14 hour days. It's okay if you choose to die for the cause, it is not okay to demand that someone else die for YOUR cause.

Sorry. I guess if it makes you feel better by believing this then so be it.
No one should have to work 14 hours per day for $.12 an hour.
The reason they do is because we choose the lowest price on the shelves...again and again.
If tomorrow Americans everywhere started choosing fair trade products and stopped buying products that use slave labor - then it would stop.
You could say the same thing about black slavery in the south in early America. They lived better as slaves here than in the jungles of Africa - but that doesn't make it any less wrong.

Except the workers in Bangladesh aren't here. They are able to improve their standard of living in Bangladesh. If everyone stopped buying products made with low wage labor, not only would prices rise, but those people would not have jobs at all. These people aren't slaves. They are glad to have a job. But to those who consider all working for money nothing but wage slaves I can see it being slavery.

These leftists are really incapable of looking at the examples of nations like Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, etc. which started out as impoverished sources of cheap manufacturing for American companies, and used that infusion of money into their economies to rise to higher levels of civilization and standards of living for their people.

As much as I hate that it's necessary for third-world countries to go through a period where children have to work in factories to help support their families in order to eventually aspire to second- or first-tier status, it's still a fact of life. And the brutal truth is that those children are better off working in those factories than they were starving on some dirt farm with their parents and twelve siblings, or being sold as sex slaves, which is how their families survived before the influx of American companies.

its non union.... first great reason to shop there.

Yeah, when one comes along where i am going ill stop. The closest one is a good 40 miles away. National food brands are national food brands.... and you cant beat their prices.

A few points:

They are carrying less and less national brands, if you've noticed. Try finding Meuller's noodles/pasta. They've been dumped. There are a whole lot of brands that have quietly disappeared, replaced by Wal*Mart's Great Value brand.

Keep an eye on expiration dates. Wal*Mart's expire quicker than anyone else, except for the low income/food stamp places in the low income side of town.

You CAN beat their prices, and by a huge margin: Costco.

A 3 lbs. (48oz.) canister of Folgers Coffee at Costco is $9.99-$10.99 (fluctuates).

A 33.9 oz. canister at Wal*Mart is $8.98

When you can buy 68oz. of Carbonell Extra Virgin Olive Oil at Costco for $9.98 and Wal*Mart sells 17oz. for $4.98, it's really a no-brainer.

I could go on and on.

Of course, if you're 30 miles from a Wal*Mart, you're probably no closer to a Costco. I give you the same advice that Harvey Keitel gave Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta at the end of 'Pulp Fiction': "Move out of the sticks". :)

Okay, first of all, the word is "fewer", not "less", in this instance. I assume that English is your mother tongue, so perhaps you should learn to speak it.

Second of all, I've never heard of Mueller's pasta in my life, so they can't have been all THAT "national" a brand. WalMart can't carry everything, but they carry the same name brands, in general, that the local supermarkets are carrying, whatever those might be for your area. The only brand of anything that my local WalMart sells that the other stores don't is their own store brand.

There was a small neighborhood grocery that I knew that was one block from a Ralphs superstore. One block. The small mom and pop was sinking fast when it was bought by new owners who had a son recently graduated from business school. It took him six months to turn that failing grocery into a bustling success.

There is no way a major store can compete with a well run small business. No way. Wal Mart lacks the flexibility to compete with a small business that intends to be successful.

We have scads of thriving small Mom-and-Pop grocery stores in my city. Know how they manage it? They specialize in the Mexican brands and foods that Tucson's huge Hispanic - and Mexican food-loving whites - want and can't get at the national chains. They offer butcher sections that sell cuts and types of meat the big stores don't bother with. We also have small grocery stores that do the same thing for our various Asian populations. Think you can buy the REAL bean paste for kimchee in an Albertson's? Not hardly.

This is not rocket science. You succeed in business by providing something that people can't get elsewhere, not by begging and guilting them into shopping with you.

Then I hope you are not a republican who blames Obama for the coal mines shutting down on the east coast. Just sayin.

I would ask what the fuck the government deliberating trying to shut down businesses has to do with businesses closing through their own bad decisions, but that would imply that I thought you were a real person with a functioning brain who was worthy of debate.

I will continue to think - and say - that your beloved Messiah is an ignorant, evil piece of socialist crap, and I will continue to hold you fools with your noses shoved up his ass responsible for every single solitary bit of suffering endured by the rest of the nation as he turns us into Greece Redux, and there is not a damned thing you can do to stop it. Your pathetic attempts at making excuses for him out of your boundless ignorance has not worked in the past, and it will not work now.

I suggest you give up and accept that any post with your name as its heading will translate to nothing more than, "Blah blah blah, this is bullshit, Luissa said it so it's not worth looking at." You might as well just pick a key at random and hold it down for five seconds. Same results.

?There is more bombing in Israel and 'a lot' of people are thinking deep thoughts about Walmart I guess I understand.

There is a 'hot' debate raging locally over the construction of a new Walmart. Close to one of our best communities---strong, strong feelings.

Seems like it will happen. Good for the economy for the area on the other side of the 'better community'.

I would tell you more but the little finger on my left hand hurts. Like an idiot I grabbed an old plastic chair to hang a wind chime in May. The leg broke and I fell in a way to bend the finger. Took hours for it straighten out--so wierd. The doctor at Urgent Care said--'Your finger must have been like this for a long time--go to an emergency room and get an Xray.'

I tried to do that--Saturday afternoon-=it was too busy. On Monday I saw my PPC and he said--'Might be fractured.' He tried to look at it and it hurt. I didn't worry about that any more until a few weeks ago when my dog jerked his leash and reinjured it. It hurts now. Throbs.

But, I type on. If I want to do something I will find a way. shrug.

When I want to I go to Walmart.

Forum List

Back