Do you shop at Walmart?

Do you shop at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters
?There is more bombing in Israel and 'a lot' of people are thinking deep thoughts about Walmart I guess I understand.

There is a 'hot' debate raging locally over the construction of a new Walmart. Close to one of our best communities---strong, strong feelings.

Seems like it will happen. Good for the economy for the area on the other side of the 'better community'.

I would tell you more but the little finger on my left hand hurts. Like an idiot I grabbed an old plastic chair to hang a wind chime in May. The leg broke and I fell in a way to bend the finger. Took hours for it straighten out--so wierd. The doctor at Urgent Care said--'Your finger must have been like this for a long time--go to an emergency room and get an Xray.'

I tried to do that--Saturday afternoon-=it was too busy. On Monday I saw my PPC and he said--'Might be fractured.' He tried to look at it and it hurt. I didn't worry about that any more until a few weeks ago when my dog jerked his leash and reinjured it. It hurts now. Throbs.

But, I type on. If I want to do something I will find a way. shrug.

When I want to I go to Walmart.

I'm sorry, but what does bombings in Israel have to do with anything? Are you, perhaps, suggesting that no one should ever talk about any subject OTHER than those you deem "important enough"? Or are you assuming that the rest of us are incapable of multitasking, and thinking about and debating many different topics?

Uh...yes, they are the ONLY incomes they have. Period.
I have a problem with 10 year olds working 14 hour days - obviously you do not.

if they are 10 year olds it is not their primary income

and I wasreall referring to Wal mart employees

WalMart employees are not the reason WalMart is successful.
WalMart is successful because they sell products Americans want at the lowest price possible. Which means 10 year olds working 14 hour days. Which means slave labor, people earning $.12 an hour living on dirt floors...all so you can buy a new Mattell toy for $4 instead of $5.99.

Really?

So national brands made in america.... are made with slave labor 10 year olds?

I'm a guy and I hate to shop. I avoid shopping at all times. However, since the Walmart Superstore is the closest place to shop to my home, if I absolutely have to shop, I will go to Walmart. And, since it has most anything I would need to shop for, I am extremely glad it is there.

Thank you Walmart for placing your store in its location!

Another nice thing about it is that the young kids looking for work and moms looking for extra cash in my area are employed, many of them at Walmart.

Immie

I'm sorry, but what does bombings in Israel have to do with anything? Are you, perhaps, suggesting that no one should ever talk about any subject OTHER than those you deem "important enough"? Or are you assuming that the rest of us are incapable of multitasking, and thinking about and debating many different topics?

I am not suggesting anything.

Have thoroughly discussed big box v. small business. I don't try to restrict myself from making choices that will save time and money.

Room for both in the economy. jmo.

I have found Trader Joe's prices to be competitive with Walmart's. Much more gas needed to get to TJ's in my area. Actually--I could walk to a Target if I wanted to do that. Sometimes they are a bit higher than TJ's/Walmart on some things. My Target has issues with staffing--rare that enough cashiers are available. Tired of talking to the Manager about that.

Minutes away--I can go to the Dollar Store--saving gas $ and they sell items that Walmart carries for $1.00.

Shopping is plentiful in Atlanta. Malls--more than we need. Every sort of store--we love free enterprise here. Really love it. Always broke--have to do whatever we can to keep $ coming in. fyi.

I prefer discussions on how to sustain free enterprise. Haven't trotted myself to the Economic forum yet--and that was the reason I ventured online to find a forum to learn more about economics--to prepare for 2016. Googled Thomas Sowell, economist and found a link to this forum.

Nice to meet you.

Just reading this at Huffpo and looking at the comments. Made me wonder if people who disapprove of Walmart still shop there.

Walmart's Internal Compensation Documents Reveal Systematic Limit On Advancement
I cannot vote, Amelia. The choices are too drastic. I do not shop at Wal*Mart, but I frequently pop in and out to pick up something that I cannot find at Costco. I do this with Publix, also.

So, technically, I do shop there, but I don't shop there. ;)

I bought my son's Halloween costume there, only place that had a Ninja costume. First time I had been in Walmart in about six months.
I don't like to support them, plus anytime I go in there the place pisses me off.

ooohh..... off topic... does he like ninja things?

its non union.... first great reason to shop there.

Yeah, when one comes along where i am going ill stop. The closest one is a good 40 miles away. National food brands are national food brands.... and you cant beat their prices.

A few points:

They are carrying less and less national brands, if you've noticed. Try finding Meuller's noodles/pasta. They've been dumped. There are a whole lot of brands that have quietly disappeared, replaced by Wal*Mart's Great Value brand.

Keep an eye on expiration dates. Wal*Mart's expire quicker than anyone else, except for the low income/food stamp places in the low income side of town.

You CAN beat their prices, and by a huge margin: Costco.

A 3 lbs. (48oz.) canister of Folgers Coffee at Costco is $9.99-$10.99 (fluctuates).

A 33.9 oz. canister at Wal*Mart is $8.98

When you can buy 68oz. of Carbonell Extra Virgin Olive Oil at Costco for $9.98 and Wal*Mart sells 17oz. for $4.98, it's really a no-brainer.

I could go on and on.

Of course, if you're 30 miles from a Wal*Mart, you're probably no closer to a Costco. I give you the same advice that Harvey Keitel gave Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta at the end of 'Pulp Fiction': "Move out of the sticks". :)

Walmart also carries golden grain and DeCecco pasta.. same brand that safeway and lucky carry. Walmart always have a good $1.25 less then on a daily basis.

I shop at costco on a regular basis.... and love them. Ive been a member with them from the start...

The problem is.... not everyone has a costco...nor do they wish to pay to become a member.

Can get any and all of that stuff at my local grocery store or even Kroger if I want to shop more upscale. I'm talking about crappy Wal-Mart brands like Mainstays and the like.

I only concern myself for getting the quality that I pay for, the rest is irrelevant. Based on what I've bought from Wal-Mart in the past, this has not been the case by and large.

Walmart does not just offer crappy walmart brands. I am not talking about that stuff

I make my comparisons with the exact same thing i get at lucky, safeway, wall greens, target ect. You cant beat walmart prices on national brand stuff.

I too purchase for quality... and can afford anything i want. And still shop at walmart. Why... becasue its the same thing at a better price.

Smart, experienced shoppers ALSO know when the generic store brand is just fine, and when it's necessary to spend a little more for the name brand.

Clearly, very few of the leftists on this board are smart, experienced shoppers.

agreed.... some generic store brands are much superior then others. I find that costco generic is very high quality.

But for the slam walmart fest... its best to stick with apples to apples..... So national brands. They are exactly the same thing...made and make in the same place by the same people.

I am not certain about Walmart produce--in my area --there are better choices.

An International Market is nearby--less expensive than almost any other company. I have been told by a 'food expert'/realtor/son of a chef and restaurant owner that the International Market is a good choice.

If I chose to drive for a half hour I could go to another International Market--DeKalb Farmers' Market. It has been in business for over 40 years----it is loved by many here. Very health conscious people in the ATL perhaps because of the CDC?

That is the frequently expressed opinion --go to an International Market. Some prefer organic/Whole Foods. They frequently rise early on Saturday AM and purchase produce from independent organic growers. That is something I have yet to do.

We grow our own tomatoes in the summer. Butternut squash for fall/winter, a few herbs and sometimes turnip greens---no one wanted to do that this year. People in the South enjoy turnip greens, turnips and sweet potatoes. Others do too, I know. Get the vitamins the freshest way you can many prefer to do that wherever they are.

Walmart does well on certain things--at the end of the summer 2nd week in September, to be exact---the week after Sept 11---they have a 50% off sale on things like solar lights--summer yard accessories.

I hit the jackpot this year--stocked up. hehehehehehehehe--The yard is ready for the holidays--lots of solar lights of all kinds. By November the choice is basically Home Depot, good quality but more expensive. I learned that last year.

Of course small business can compete with a big box store. The small mom and pop junkshop sells exactly the same crap Wal Mart sells, they just charge double the price. That's why they go out of business. The answer isn't to deny the consumer the opportunity to pay a more fair price. Wal Mart like all major stores is an anchor. A dozen or more stores and shops will open next to a Wal Mart. Wal Mart doesn't kill small business, it advances it.
So much for defending small business. So it is just a republican talking point.

You don't defend small business by turning shopping into a charitable act.
Then suggest the GOP stop touting their affection for small business.

Please address Katz' point that if the $.12 an hour job were unavailable, the children might then have no means of support and would be more vulnerable to starvation or the sex trade.

That is a strawman argument that is a ludicrous and weak excuse to make you feel better. You support slave labor...you simply lack the character to admit it.

Liberals are famously glib about the unforeseen consequences of their crusades.

Are they? I wouldn't know.

its non union.... first great reason to shop there.

Yeah, when one comes along where i am going ill stop. The closest one is a good 40 miles away. National food brands are national food brands.... and you cant beat their prices.

A few points:

They are carrying less and less national brands, if you've noticed. Try finding Meuller's noodles/pasta. They've been dumped. There are a whole lot of brands that have quietly disappeared, replaced by Wal*Mart's Great Value brand.

Keep an eye on expiration dates. Wal*Mart's expire quicker than anyone else, except for the low income/food stamp places in the low income side of town.

You CAN beat their prices, and by a huge margin: Costco.

A 3 lbs. (48oz.) canister of Folgers Coffee at Costco is $9.99-$10.99 (fluctuates).

A 33.9 oz. canister at Wal*Mart is $8.98

When you can buy 68oz. of Carbonell Extra Virgin Olive Oil at Costco for $9.98 and Wal*Mart sells 17oz. for $4.98, it's really a no-brainer.

I could go on and on.

Of course, if you're 30 miles from a Wal*Mart, you're probably no closer to a Costco. I give you the same advice that Harvey Keitel gave Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta at the end of 'Pulp Fiction': "Move out of the sticks". :)

Walmart also carries golden grain and DeCecco pasta.. same brand that safeway and lucky carry. Walmart always have a good $1.25 less then on a daily basis.

I shop at costco on a regular basis.... and love them. Ive been a member with them from the start...

The problem is.... not everyone has a costco...nor do they wish to pay to become a member.

People who live alone tend not to see the point in buying in bulk for almost everything they buy, since they would have to store a lot more stuff for a lot longer than someone with a large family. For those people, stores that sell in smaller quantities can be preferable choices. God bless capitalism, where everyone can find someone willing to cater to their preferences in exchange for filthy lucre!

So much for defending small business. So it is just a republican talking point.

You don't defend small business by turning shopping into a charitable act.
Then suggest the GOP stop touting their affection for small business.

Suggest you learn the difference between what sounds good for business to halfwit liberals and what actually IS good for business, and also that no one with more than a teaspoon of brains gives a damn WHAT you suggest, or what you "think".

I'm a guy and I hate to shop.
I am a girl and I hate to shop, but when Christmas time is here, Wal-Mart and the mall is where I go to buy for other people. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. To me, Christmas shopping is like a scavenger hunt. :) :) :)

When online shopping became popular, I was skeptical of it and stayed away, but I have to say I am becoming a much bigger fan as the years go by. :)

God Bless You as well and my the Joy of the Season be yours.

Immie

I am a girl and I hate to shop, but when Christmas time is here, Wal-Mart and the mall is where I go to buy for other people. :) :) :)

Holly

You could be a better supporter of China if you just fly over there and buy your XMas junk directly. Supporting minimum wages and making the Waltons more wealthy is obscene. I bet your engagement ring has a blood diamond on it.

Holly

You could be a better supporter of China if you just fly over there and buy your XMas junk directly. Supporting minimum wages and making the Waltons more wealthy is obscene. I bet your engagement ring has a blood diamond on it.

There you go.That's the Liberal Christmas spirit.
And when Bill O'Reilly points out the left's attack on Christmas the Libs get pissed..

Holly

There you go.That's the Liberal Christmas spirit.
And when Bill O'Reilly points out the left's attack on Christmas the Libs get pissed..

I don't care one way or the other what the left thinks about XMas. I don't care one way or the other what Bill O'Reilly thinks either.

Walmart pays the same as Target, yet Walmart is always the big bad wolf. Why is that? And since Target's prices are almost always higher, why aren't they paying better wages overall?

I agree. Walmart is a smart option when the household budget requires watching every penny. Costco may pay their employees more but their service is just as bad as other big box retailers (worse in fact because you have to pay for membership).

Not to mention that there's only so much shit you can buy in bulk from Costco. Where do you go to get the OTHER things you need, or the things Costco doesn't carry?

Or when you have no children and simply don't NEED the huge packages that are all Costco sells!

Forum List

Back