Do you say Holidays instead of Christmas? Joke is on YOU!

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

Holiday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

Actually, I'm inclined to say "Joyous Yule." Unless I'm talking to a Christian; then I'll say "Happy Holidays." It's not to cast out God, but to avoid offending someone whose religious beliefs are different from mine, and might feel bizarre being given a Pagan holiday blessing.

Christians really need to get over this narcissistic notion that anyone who isn't a Christian is an atheist.

During this festive season, I would like to wish all Conservatives and each and every FoxNews viewer a sincere......Happy Holidays

I admit I say Merry Christmas to people at Christmas time. Its my favorite holiday and to me its a family celebration and has zero religion because my family isn't religious.

If they say they don't celebrate I tell them "Thats cool I still hope you have a merry day"

Who is offended by being wished a merry christmas anyway? Is someone here offended by being wished a merry christmas? Honestly?

I would love to discuss what is offensive if you are.

I whish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and a Happy Eid.

What is Eid?

And that is what you should do...wish people a merry christmas, happy haunukkah, merry quanza, joyous solstice, whatever you want to say!

Its america after all and we are free to SPEAK lol.

Eid is a holiday that marks the end of fasting for Muslims.

Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

Holiday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

I agree. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ. Christians celebrate this event. Non-Christians should report to work that day rather than use a Christian holiday as yet another excuse for a day off hitting the bottle.

Jesus' actual birthday was almost certainly not in December, at least if the Gospel account of the shepherds is true. Shepherds are out in the fields with their flocks, as opposed to bringing them in for the night, only in lambing season, which is in the spring.

The reason Christians celebrate Christmas in December is because there was a major pagan holiday, or several of them, at the same time in the Roman Empire: Mithra's birth, Yule among the Celts of Gaul and Britain, the Saturnalia in Rome, etc. It was our holiday before it was theirs.

Jesus' actual birthday was almost certainly not in December, at least if the Gospel account of the shepherds is true. Shepherds are out in the fields with their flocks, as opposed to bringing them in for the night, only in lambing season, which is in the spring.

The reason Christians celebrate Christmas in December is because there was a major pagan holiday, or several of them, at the same time in the Roman Empire: Mithra's birth, Yule among the Celts of Gaul and Britain, the Saturnalia in Rome, etc. It was our holiday before it was theirs.

And your point is what exactly?

I'm just not following why you are posting this information is all and need some clarity.

I always say Merry Christmas at Christmas time and have yet to have a single person be offended with it. (And, I say it to cabbies and gas station attendants regularly. ;))

I always say Merry Christmas at Christmas time and have yet to have a single person be offended with it. (And, I say it to cabbies and gas station attendants regularly. ;))

I am very curious to talk to a poster here who would be offended by merry christmas being said to them and would like to understand how it is construed as offensive to someone.

Maybe I should make a poll thread asking if people are offended by it?

And your point is what exactly?

I'm just not following why you are posting this information is all and need some clarity.

Sorry, I was responding to Warrior102's post. I should probably have used the quote button.

I am very curious to talk to a poster here who would be offended by merry christmas being said to them and would like to understand how it is construed as offensive to someone.

Maybe I should make a poll thread asking if people are offended by it?
Habib at my favorite gas station has been hearing Merry Christmas from me for years, and always has a smile and a "Merry Christmas" in return for me.

(Of course, I tell him to have a wonderful Ramadan, too, when it's that time of the year.)

What's the world coming to when Santa Claus can't even utter "Merry Christmas!" ? :lol:

But when the guy who won’t say “Merry Christmas” is Santa Claus, you know you’ve crossed the line into utter PC insanity. Or the border into Massachusetts. Same thing.

On Sunday evening, my kids and I dropped into the Friendly’s in Sudbury for a post-Christmas-shopping-day treat. They got ice cream decorated with smiley-faces, and I got a few minutes of blessed relief from “Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer” blasting from the car’s CD player.

Suddenly the door at Friendly’s swings open and who to my wondering eyes should appear, but . . . SANTA! Perfect timing: Ice cream, kids and Santa Claus — what could be better on a December’s eve?

I watched as Santa, dressed in full regalia including the little Santa spectacles on his nose, worked his way from table to table, greeting the delighted children.

“Merry Christmas,” the kids cried.

“Happy Holidays,” Santa replied.

Every table, the same thing from Santa: “Happy Holidays.” Not a single “Christmas” crossed his lips. So by the time he made it back to our booth, I was ready.

“Santa, thanks so much for stopping by to wish my kids a ‘Merry Christmas!’ ” I said before he could even speak.

“Happy Holidays!” he returned.

“And how about a ‘Merry Christmas’ for the kids?” I insisted.

“Happy Holidays, kids,” he insisted right back.

Gag order for Santa? - BostonHerald.com

Forum List

Back