Do you say Holidays instead of Christmas? Joke is on YOU!

Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

Holiday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

I agree. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ. Christians celebrate this event. Non-Christians should report to work that day rather than use a Christian holiday as yet another excuse for a day off hitting the bottle.

Christmas is a NATIONAL holiday. It's not just a Christian holiday.

As an atheist I love celebrating Christmas with my family, my favorite Christmas carol is "O Holy Night," and I go to church with my Catholic family on Christmas morning. If I was offended by any of this stuff, I think I'd be a pretty damn miserable person. Just like the people who are offended when someone calls a Christmas tree a Holiday tree. Get the fuck over it already.

One of my Jewish friends decorates a tree and calls it his "Hannukah Bush".

Jesus' actual birthday was almost certainly not in December, at least if the Gospel account of the shepherds is true. Shepherds are out in the fields with their flocks, as opposed to bringing them in for the night, only in lambing season, which is in the spring.

The reason Christians celebrate Christmas in December is because there was a major pagan holiday, or several of them, at the same time in the Roman Empire: Mithra's birth, Yule among the Celts of Gaul and Britain, the Saturnalia in Rome, etc. It was our holiday before it was theirs.

I am Catholic - so not sure how the Heathen's celebrate, nor do I care. We're currently in Advent in our church calendar, preparing for the arrive of Christ this month. Immaculate Conception is celebrated today, and it's a holy day of obligation for us.

And what is the "immaculate conception?" <I know, I just want to see if you know.>

Both the host and I had fired off emails to friendly's over their Santa Clause refusing to say merry christmas and this was the response

Friendly's official position said:
I have verified with our operations team that we do have Santa helpers in a few chosen restaurants in the area selected by our District Manager and Region Director. The Santa helpers are our own employees. Because we have guests of all different faiths and denominations and some who may not even celebrate a holiday at this time of the year, we normally ask our employees to greet our guests with Happy Holidays. However, if a guest specifically says ‘Merry Christmas’, as in your case, we would expect our Santa helper to reply with the same.

How can you find it offensive to say Merry Christmas yet send Santa Clause into the restaurant....just by having santa there didn't they already cross the "christmas line"?

What part of what you quoted indicates that someone was offended? Just sounds like a Santa didn't read the memo! Small wonder we chuckle every year, when this comes up. It's the 'Merry Xmas only' crowd that always gets offended, NOT the other way round. :eusa_boohoo:

How about you answer that question I raised that you bolded half of.....and maybe a few more while you are at it.

Why are people told to NOT say merry christmas again? Is it because they MIGHT offend someone?

Who is offended by saying merry christmas?

Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word h&#257;ligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

Er... no... I'm assuming that they might celebrate MY holiday, too...

but nice try...

The word holiday comes from the Old English word h&#257;ligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

but nice try...
Happy Hanukkah, Jillian, and a Merry Christmas to you, as well!

but nice try...
Happy Hanukkah, Jillian, and a Merry Christmas to you, as well!

And to you! :beer:

I agree. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ. Christians celebrate this event. Non-Christians should report to work that day rather than use a Christian holiday as yet another excuse for a day off hitting the bottle.

Thank you for pointing that out.

As a non-religious person who loves and celebrates Christmas with their family every year I appreciate it.

but nice try...

Sounds like my post DOES NOT apply to you Jillian...but nice try ;)

I am Catholic - so not sure how the Heathen's celebrate, nor do I care. We're currently in Advent in our church calendar, preparing for the arrive of Christ this month. Immaculate Conception is celebrated today, and it's a holy day of obligation for us.

Do you care about the history of the Church, and of where its holidays came from? The Catholic Church emerged from the schism of the Imperial Church in about the 5th-6th century (as did the Orthodox Church). So its traditions go back to the Imperial Church founded by Constantine for political purposes. Part of that was co-opting major Pagan holidays so converts could go on celebrating at the times and (mostly) in the fashion they were used to, making it easy to convert.

Celebration of Christmas in December dates only from the early to mid 4th century, coinciding with the founding of the Imperial Church in 325 at the Council of Nicaea (now considered the first Ecumenical Council). Earlier than that, Christians celebrated Good Friday and Easter (although it may not have been on the same date) but not Christmas.

Of course, it really doesn't matter when Jesus' actual birthday was, and there is nothing at all wrong with Christians celebrating it on Dec. 25th or any other day of the year they prefer. Cool with me. I'm just saying that when you said:

Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ. Christians celebrate this event. Non-Christians should report to work that day rather than use a Christian holiday as yet another excuse for a day off hitting the bottle.

You were speaking without knowledge. It's our holiday, too -- in fact, it was ours before it was yours.

Is your holiday called Chistmas as well? Is there some rule that two holidays can't fall on the same day or approximate time of the year? Do you have holiday envy or something?

but nice try...

your post assumes that if one says "happy holidays", it is because somehow the religious implications of "merry christmas" offend them.

i'm just pointing out that your premise is false.

:thup:

Both the host and I had fired off emails to friendly's over their Santa Clause refusing to say merry christmas and this was the response

How can you find it offensive to say Merry Christmas yet send Santa Clause into the restaurant....just by having santa there didn't they already cross the "christmas line"?

What part of what you quoted indicates that someone was offended? Just sounds like a Santa didn't read the memo! Small wonder we chuckle every year, when this comes up. It's the 'Merry Xmas only' crowd that always gets offended, NOT the other way round. :eusa_boohoo:

How about you answer that question I raised that you bolded half of.....and maybe a few more while you are at it.

Why are people told to NOT say merry christmas again? Is it because they MIGHT offend someone?

Didn't you read what the company sent you? They say "Happy Holidays" because not everyone celebrates Xmas, NOT because someone might be offended. You're the one that posed the question of why someone might be offended. To most people it's a matter of the company trying to be inclusive. It's the 'Xmas only' whiners that are constantly taking offense and then blaming their own bad attitudes on others. Hardly the Xmas spirit, IMHO.

Thank you for pointing that out.

As a non-religious person who loves and celebrates Christmas with their family every year I appreciate it.

Are you trying to steal our holiday that we apparently 'stole' from the pagans??? :lol: I might have to hurt you now. :eek:

but nice try...

but nice try...

your post assumes that if one says "happy holidays", it is because somehow the religious implications of "merry christmas" offend them.
i'm just pointing out that your premise is false.

:thup:

So you are denying that some of the people who won't say merry christmas are doing so due to religion?

My post is directed at those specific individuals who say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspect. Please comprehend what I typed without inserting intent that was not there!

Nice strawman though Jillian :thup:

but nice try...

I think she just meant that Hanukkah is a HOLY day as well...

Didn't you read what the company sent you? They say "Happy Holidays" because not everyone celebrates Xmas, NOT because someone might be offended. You're the one that posed the question of why someone might be offended. To most people it's a matter of the company trying to be inclusive. It's the 'Xmas only' whiners that are constantly taking offense and then blaming their own bad attitudes on others. Hardly the Xmas spirit, IMHO.

Yes I did hence my question...let me ask you again with a little more wording since you failed to asnwer me.

How can you worry about people finding it offensive to say Merry Christmas yet send Santa Clause into the restaurant....just by having santa there in the restaurant didn't they already cross the "christmas line" by sending a symbol that is related only to christmas in there in the first place?

Also do you find it offensive is someone wishes you a merry christmas? I'm still trying to find the fabled american who takes offense to this.

Forum List

Back