do you protect your identity

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
LifeLock barred from misrepresenting services; consumers will get refunds

Consumers who paid for LifeLock services will also get $11 million in refunds.

“Identity theft is a serious crime, and criminals aren’t the only ones trying to make money off of it,” Cooper said in a release. “Be careful of paying money for ID theft protection, as it can leave you with a false sense of security.”

LifeLock sells identity theft-protection services for $10 a month or $110 a year. Past advertisements for LifeLock have claimed the services were “guaranteed” to protect consumers’ personal information and prevent criminals from using it to open accounts in their names.

LifeLock barred from misrepresenting services; consumers will get refunds :: WRAL.com

how much trouble do you got thru to protect your id...

Under a new state law, people in North Carolina can guard against identity theft by freezing their credit reports online for free.

is freezing your credit report a good idea? i simply shred most of my mail....i will collect it till i cant stand it anymore....empty the shredder and go to it... yesterday i shredded for about an hour...new credit cards that came in the mail...etc...

so you got any hints or tips to share?

“Identity theft is a serious crime, and criminals aren’t the only ones trying to make money off of it,” Cooper said in a release. “Be careful of paying money for ID theft protection, as it can leave you with a false sense of security.”

LifeLock sells identity theft-protection services for $10 a month or $110 a year. Past advertisements for LifeLock have claimed the services were “guaranteed” to protect consumers’ personal information and prevent criminals from using it to open accounts in their names.

LifeLock barred from misrepresenting services; consumers will get refunds :: WRAL.com

Under a new state law, people in North Carolina can guard against identity theft by freezing their credit reports online for free.

is freezing your credit report a good idea? i simply shred most of my mail....i will collect it till i cant stand it anymore....empty the shredder and go to it... yesterday i shredded for about an hour...new credit cards that came in the mail...etc...

Just burn it, its faster. Don't give out alot of your info, i dont even give my phone # when asked at stores.

SPAM ALERT!!!

SPAM ALERT!!!

SPAM ALERT!!!

MODS: The bones-bot is posting advertisements again!

Best tip in the world. Keep you credit rating so low you have to use cash. NO one will want to steal your identity.

I have to spread the rep, but I rep this.

The perfect trap.

Last edited:
I protect my identity by posing as a mild mannered reporter by day......

I put fraud alerts on my ID with all the three major credit bureaus after my CC# was stolen. I just keep renewing them. It's free. That, combined with shredding docs works for me.

One way identity theft is being used these days is through a virus attack on your whole computer system. Let's say you use AOL. Once a virus has glommed onto all your programs, it can then look into your AOL account (which even if free, you still need to post a credit card number to use them), and pluck that number out for their use. With the Internet, I'm afraid no one is truly safely protected from any of these crooks. I worry about IT far more than I do about some sleaze going through my trash.

Firefox with Adblock Plus and Noscripts - plus a periodic Malware scan is a Very Good Idea.

Firefox with Adblock Plus and Noscripts - plus a periodic Malware scan is a Very Good Idea.

Go to any number of the websites that have thriving businesses to "fix" your computer after a virus attack, and they will all tell you that no one is immune, no search engine or provider is immune, including the myriad anti-virus programs installed on your computer, including the Malware scan. The hackers have become so adept that they even infect anti-virus programs, rendering them inoperable.

Yes - nothing is completely failsafe. But there are precautions one can take to reduce the risk.

Forum List

Back