Do You Parrot Your Favorite Commentators?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BakshisMouse, Jun 11, 2012.

?

Are You a Parrot of Your Favorite Commentators?

1. Yes

18.2%
  2. No

81.8%
  1. BakshisMouse

BakshisMouse BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I parrot my favorite commentators. I freely admit it.

Skip the following italicized paragraphs for the short version.
    While taking an introductory economics class, I did a research project on different economic views. At this time, I was a fan of Neal Boortz’s radio show, and generally agreed with libertarian economic thinking. I thought I would do a report Keynesianism, just to see if I could find anything that could re-enforce my views. I heard about how Paul Krugman was the biggest Keynesian around, so I gave his blog a read.

My project, a powerpoint, got a good grade, but now that I look back on it, it missed the whole point of Keynesianism. However, Paul Krugman so intrigued me that I searched out similar views. He and people of similar minds so convinced me to his side, and they so educated me on economic and finance issues, that their influence is one of the reasons I am pursuing a degree in finance at college.

So I parrot Paul Krugman, Brad DeLong and Mark Thoma. I’ll even parrot Republican economists if the occasion arises. The late Milton Friedman was obviously right about a lot of things. Greg Mankiw clearly has a thinking head on his shoulders. (By the way, Mankiw was Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers to Bush Jr. and he is a current adviser to Mitt Romney. He even wrote the textbook my class used.)

I came to parrot these people on my own. These people’s views were not forced upon me.

However, the main point of this thread is to find out about the members of this board. Are they willing to admit they parrot their favorite commentators? If they are, are they willing to discuss how they came upon their favorite sources?

If you doubt this subject’s relevance to today’s issues, google “political socialization”.

Note 1: The posters who choose the option of “No” should have to explain why they think they are not parrots. If they don’t, they’re at risk of being branded dishonest hacks.

Note 2: Any poster who snipes at another poster for his or her favorite commentators to parrot from without voting in this poll is automatically branded as a dishonest hack.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Liability

Liability Locked Account. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,063
    I do not parrot. However, I have learned a great deal from several commentators especially my favorite commentator, Mark Levin.

I always get a "thrill up my leg" when I hear him articulating something I have been saying or thinking. Granted, he does it in a more precise fashion. But still. Any time I see that happening, I feel like I am getting pretty solid with the underlying political philosophy.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  3. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,752
    I don't parrot anyone because I rarely pay attention to any talking head. The answer is no in my case, I can't remember the last time watched any of them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. BakshisMouse

BakshisMouse BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    That's semantics, in my opinion, but it's a pretty honest answer.

I guess I'm not exactly a parrot if I can phrase my opinions in different wordings from the original, but I still depend quite heavily on my sources.

5. BakshisMouse

BakshisMouse BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Clementine, francoHFW, can you two explain how you are not parrots?

6. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,618
    I do not read/watch anyone's blog or web site or show or whatever, unless someone posts a link to a blog/web site/etc to support their particular argument, so it is not possible for me to parrot anyone.

I can usually tell when someone is parroting a party line when I hear the same defective memes being posted over and over and over by more than one poster. That's always fun. Sort of like chopping the heads off a Hydra. As soon as you delouse one partisan hack, two more spring up to replace them.

7. ConservaDerrps

ConservaDerrps BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I take inspiration from the commentators I like, no question about it. Do I parrot? I don't think so, only because I don't agree 100% with 100% of what they say.

8. BakshisMouse

BakshisMouse BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I certainly also don't agree with everything all of my sources say. I have sources that say opposite things on the same issues, so how could I, anyway?

But does that alone make my thoughts my own?

9. BakshisMouse

BakshisMouse BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    asaratis, how are you not a parrot?

10. Uncensored2008

Uncensored2008 Libertarian Radical Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,709
    Do I HAVE a favorite commentator?

I occasionally read George Will. I read Mark Green a lot, but he's local. :dunno: