do you know how to read the IBD paper?

May 21, 2015
This newspaper, the Investor's Business Daily, has 10x the value of the Wall Street Journal, when it comes to giving you info that can make money for you in the market. The same publisher wrote HOW TO MAKE MONEY IN STOCKS, and updates/edits it every few years. It's great info. William O Neil says that not only must you choose the right stocks, you also have to know when to buy them and when to sell them. His charts are a big help with that. Combined with insights from Peter Lynch, you can do very well, MOST of the time. But there are times when you don't want to be in stocks AT ALL, folks, and sometimes those times laster for several years. Diversification and savings, as well as discpline about your expenses, are key elements to financial survival.

This newspaper, the Investor's Business Daily, has 10x the value of the Wall Street Journal, when it comes to giving you info that can make money for you in the market. The same publisher wrote HOW TO MAKE MONEY IN STOCKS, and updates/edits it every few years. It's great info. William O Neil says that not only must you choose the right stocks, you also have to know when to buy them and when to sell them. His charts are a big help with that. Combined with insights from Peter Lynch, you can do very well, MOST of the time. But there are times when you don't want to be in stocks AT ALL, folks, and sometimes those times laster for several years. Diversification and savings, as well as discpline about your expenses, are key elements to financial survival.
Regardless of what one reads or studies, the stock market, and stocks in general, are nothing more than a gamble. There are NO sure bets on any given stock. Ask Warren Buffett. In addition, in today's economic hard times, a relatively few have the money to invest in the stock market. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck, and worrying about how they're going to make ends meet. Reading about, and studying stock behavior, may benefit those that have the money to invest, but is of little value to everyone else.

Regardless of what one reads or studies, the stock market, and stocks in general, are nothing more than a gamble. There are NO sure bets on any given stock. Ask Warren Buffett. In addition, in today's economic hard times, a relatively few have the money to invest in the stock market. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck, and worrying about how they're going to make ends meet. Reading about, and studying stock behavior, may benefit those that have the money to invest, but is of little value to everyone else.

if they are in such a poor position, it just shows that they have been silly. Nobody made them have kids when they did not yet have adequate savings/investment (ie, enough to clear 20k per year from it, per kid. With good invesments, like GI home loans on big houses, turned into weekly room rentals. you can have that sort of income in a couple of years. You can also get into owning that building with just one year's college loans, if you go at it correctly.

I don't read IDB or WSJ because the herd is always stampeding over some cliff or another. My principles are:

I don't know what the market is going to do when and neither does anyone else.

I have a decent idea what issues will do relative to the market and so does everyone else.

Therefore I should seek and develop strategies that:

Keep me solvent while I wait for episodes of rationality that will turn me a profit.

In order to do that the strategy must be unappealing to others.

Therefore being seduced by the common wisdom is a very bad idea.

Forum List

Back