Do you hate reading?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I've been kind wondering why I hate reading so much. Most of it is boring and long winded and have long sentence(s) that have no real point to them. It is like people who write articles do so without any kind of logical ordering to them. Lets describe a setting when it is necessary to do so and appropriate within the structure of the article. That is just my attitude which 'what is the point of this boring narrative?'. It rarely has anything to do with what was being talked about and it seems like a break in the smooth running logic that ultimately leads to the point of the article. It is just so frustrating sometimes that writers can't be more to the point and substitute creative art in for their logical argument.

I also have low tolerance for boredom and for things that seem to be going nowhere quickly. At least when someone makes a point and it is clear I know what they said but if they take forever to get there then I really have a hard time comprehending what they are trying to say. Call it ADD or whatever but it just seems like we live in a world that really doesn't want to accommodate our way of thinking. I don't know who came up with patients is a virtue because it isn't when their is no reward in what you are waiting for or you don't even know what you are waiting for.

I've been kind wondering why I hate reading so much. Most of it is boring and long winded and have long sentence(s) that have no real point to them. It is like people who write articles do so without any kind of logical ordering to them. Lets describe a setting when it is necessary to do so and appropriate within the structure of the article. That is just my attitude which 'what is the point of this boring narrative?'. It rarely has anything to do with what was being talked about and it seems like a break in the smooth running logic that ultimately leads to the point of the article. It is just so frustrating sometimes that writers can't be more to the point and substitute creative art in for their logical argument.

I also have low tolerance for boredom and for things that seem to be going nowhere quickly. At least when someone makes a point and it is clear I know what they said but if they take forever to get there then I really have a hard time comprehending what they are trying to say. Call it ADD or whatever but it just seems like we live in a world that really doesn't want to accommodate our way of thinking. I don't know who came up with patients is a virtue because it isn't when their is no reward in what you are waiting for or you don't even know what you are waiting for.
Sounds like you're reading some crummy articles. Try The Atlantic.
I love to read, fiction and non. I feel as if I am almost having a conversation with some of the long dead authors, that they are friends. Stupid, right? The adventure, the imagination, the heartache and joy in literature opens our eyes and broadens our perspectives on the world.
You like short, to the point and based in reality, I'm guessing. The newspaper is good for that.

As for process oriented committee people (women tend to do this), I agree with you. I understand that for some folks, it's all about the journey, but I am definitely in the Enlightened Despot school that just wants to speak my piece, vote and get the hell out of there.

Sounds like you are admitting you are ignorant.

I believe I READ somewhere that over 50% of Americans have never read a book....and we wonder why our nation is so fucked up. Dumb Americans vote for more government and politicians know it.

Illiteracy in some areas of our nation approaches 100%. Good article on illiteracy by Chris Hedges here:
America the Illiterate: Chris Hedges
America the Illiterate
There are over 42 million American adults, 20 percent of whom hold high school diplomas, who cannot read, as well as the 50 million who read at a fourth- or fifth-grade level. Nearly a third of the nation’s population is illiterate or barely literate. And their numbers are growing by an estimated 2 million a year. But even those who are supposedly literate retreat in huge numbers into this image-based existence. A third of high school graduates, along with 42 percent of college graduates, never read a book after they finish school. Eighty percent of the families in the United States last year did not buy a book.

Sounds like you are admitting you are ignorant.

I believe I READ somewhere that over 50% of Americans have never read a book....and we wonder why our nation is so fucked up. Dumb Americans vote for more government and politicians know it.

Illiteracy in some areas of our nation approaches 100%. Good article on illiteracy by Chris Hedges here:
America the Illiterate: Chris Hedges
America the Illiterate
There are over 42 million American adults, 20 percent of whom hold high school diplomas, who cannot read, as well as the 50 million who read at a fourth- or fifth-grade level. Nearly a third of the nation’s population is illiterate or barely literate. And their numbers are growing by an estimated 2 million a year. But even those who are supposedly literate retreat in huge numbers into this image-based existence. A third of high school graduates, along with 42 percent of college graduates, never read a book after they finish school. Eighty percent of the families in the United States last year did not buy a book.
You better get out there and be a Literacy Volunteer, then, Gipper. Do something about it!

You have to read things that interest you.

^^ Yet you expect others to read this crap? Not.

You have to read things that interest you.

Sometimes you gain the interest by reading things you might not usually.

I have never been able to comprehend that people hate to read. Virtually every topic imaginable is out there. From entertainment to serious works of investigative writing, there are volumes waiting for you.

Imagine an entertainment system with more titles than you can possibly enjoy. It is portable, compact, and needs no batteries. The special effects are beyond anything Hollywood can produce. And they are available for free. How can you not jump on that?

I have never been able to comprehend that people hate to read. Virtually every topic imaginable is out there. From entertainment to serious works of investigative writing, there are volumes waiting for you.

Imagine an entertainment system with more titles than you can possibly enjoy. It is portable, compact, and needs no batteries. The special effects are beyond anything Hollywood can produce. And they are available for free. How can you not jump on that?
Nothing better than browsing through a used book store and finding something good. Especially books that have been out of print for years.

Nothing better than browsing through a used book store and finding something good. Especially books that have been out of print for years.

Amen!! I love used book stores!

Kindle takes batteries. Personally, I prefer good old fashioned books. I like turning the pages, and I like how books smell.

Kindle takes batteries. Personally, I prefer good old fashioned books. I like turning the pages, and I like how books smell.

When I worked on the toad I loved having s Kindle. I could take 50 books with me without needing another suitcase. But you are right, there is something special about pages and smells of a book. That is part of why used book stores are so great.

And I like looking at the covers and reading the inserts. Found other good books to read that way.

Sounds like no one goes to the library, anymore. Best stress reducer in the world, except maybe the spa.

Too many words I couldn't make it past the first sentence without falling asleep.

Too many words I couldn't make it past the first sentence without falling asleep.

Slyhunter, you seem to be having technical difficulties. Try AdBlock.

Forum List

Back