"Do you consider yourself an orthodox Catholic?” Sen. Durbin asked judicial nominee

It seems to me, if we are not satisfied with the judge's answer to the question, we would have to read the article where the term was used to fully understand the meaning of "orthodox catholic". That aside, should Durbin be asking that question at all? I don't have a problem with it. We need to know how a judge will judge on the job. She answered that question.

What would be nice is if questions about one's faith were asked with equal vigor of persons of all faiths. Can you imagine a question to a Muslim judge about whether he or she is an orthodox Islamist?

While her motives may be suspect, i find it wholly inappropriate that religion is somehow "off limits" when questioning our leaders and potential leaders. I think it would have been perfectly appropriate and sane to ask Romney if he believed Native Americans descended from Israelites, for instance. Or even to ask Obama if he bought into the Christian hooey that this life is relatively unimportant, compared to eternal afterlife. These are people we are asking to make important decisions regarding science and our future. Rejecting evolution, for instance, should disqualify a candidate. Instead, candidates lie and say they don't believe in evolution, just to get votes. If they want to play by those rules, then....let's. Let's air out every insane, idiotic, irrational religious belief you have, so that we can make an informed decision on whether or not you are fit to make the big decisions.

I'd certainly vote against someone who thinks this life is all there is and there is no later reward for good nor punishment for bad.

Is life a sprint or a marathon ? humans don't agree

If once around is all we get, then fast is the way to be

If once around is all we get, then take all that you can

Step on whoever is in your way and use your fellow man

But if life is a stepping stone to eternity beyond

that should affect our starting speed and the way our race is run

So if you think your way behind and are so very slow

Maybe someone is watching you and you have much further to go

And if you think you’re very fast and really making time

Perhaps the truth is you don't know where is the finish line

I'd certainly vote against someone who thinks this life is all there is and there is no later reward for good nor punishment for bad.

Is life a sprint or a marathon ? humans don't agree

If once around is all we get, then fast is the way to be

If once around is all we get, then take all that you can

Step on whoever is in your way and use your fellow man

But if life is a stepping stone to eternity beyond

that should affect our starting speed and the way our race is run

So if you think your way behind and are so very slow

Maybe someone is watching you and you have much further to go

And if you think you’re very fast and really making time

Perhaps the truth is you don't know where is the finish line
We still have laws. And atheists have morals. Maybe you only gave us an insight into your own moral state. In other words, maybe this fear of God is the only thing keeping you from being immoral and unethical. That is neither moral nor ethical, by the way.

Is life a sprint or a marathon ? humans don't agreeIf once around is all we get, then fast is the way to be
If once around is all we get, then take all that you canStep on whoever is in your way and use your fellow man
But if life is a stepping stone to eternity beyondthat should affect our starting speed and the way our race is run
So if you think your way behind and are so very slowMaybe someone is watching you and you have much further to go
And if you think you’re very fast and really making time Perhaps the truth is you don't know where is the finish line

We still have laws. And atheists have morals. .........

We have laws ,,,, however, Atheism has no morals. No more than do animals .... which Atheist claim to be.

Is the pope an "orthodox" Catholic ? Many Catholics don't think so. Some very adamantly.

American Catholics are mostly different from other Catholics as well, so much so they're a category all their own as far as the Vatican is concerned.

Is life a sprint or a marathon ? humans don't agreeIf once around is all we get, then fast is the way to be
If once around is all we get, then take all that you canStep on whoever is in your way and use your fellow man
But if life is a stepping stone to eternity beyondthat should affect our starting speed and the way our race is run
So if you think your way behind and are so very slowMaybe someone is watching you and you have much further to go
And if you think you’re very fast and really making time Perhaps the truth is you don't know where is the finish line

We have laws ,,,, however, Atheism has no morals. No more than do animals .... which Atheist claim to be.
"Atheism has no morals"

Well yeah, it's not a set of beliefs or a dogma. It's simple absence of a belief in god. I derive my morals from humanism and reason, which makes them superior to morals dictated from a bronze age work of fiction.

"Atheism has no morals"

Well yeah, it's not a set of beliefs or a dogma. It's simple absence of a belief in god. I derive my morals from humanism and reason, which makes them superior to morals dictated from a bronze age work of fiction.

The Bronze Age fiction has proven far superior to modern superstitions revolving around delusional rubbish of being 'all rational n stuff'.

"Atheism has no morals"

Really? Name just one of your "morals" that are superior to the ones in the Bible.

Totally inappropriate, I would have responded with "Why do you ask, do you intend to discriminate against me because of my religion"? The correct question to ask ANY nominee is what is your position on abortion, birth control, etc. Or whatever other issue might be uppermost in their minds. Which is what a Repub could legitimately ask a liberal judicial candidate.

"Atheism has no morals"

The Bronze Age fiction has proven far superior to modern superstitions revolving around delusional rubbish of being 'all rational n stuff'.
It has not. In fact, it had to be completely reformed by classical liberalism, scientific enlightenment, and the Renaissance.

"Atheism has no morals"

Really? Name just one of your "morals" that are superior to the ones in the Bible.
Homosexuality is fine. Adultery is not punishable. It doesn't matter what god (or no god) anyone believes in; it does not affect their value as a human being. There is no "original sin".

Need more?

"Atheism has no morals"

Homosexuality is fine. Adultery is not punishable. It doesn't matter what god (or no god) anyone believes in; it does not affect their value as a human being. There is no "original sin".

Need more?
That's not what the Bible says. You are a fool.

"Atheism has no morals"

Need more?
Those are the things I say. Pay attention!

"Atheism has no morals"

Need more?
Those are the things I say. Pay attention!
It doesn't matter what you say, if it contradicts the Bible.

Forum List

Back