Do you care that the Gov't is spending all that money?

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Every morning I get a daily email missive from Dan Flynn, who writes for The American Spectator. This morning he wrote this in reference to how much money the Gov't is spending in just the last day or 2:

Do the politicians not see how spending money that does not exist adversely impacts money that does exist? The United States no longer relies on the Chinese, Japanese, or Europeans for the bulk of its deficit financing. It depreciates its currency to fund its operations. The Federal Reserve balance sheet amounts to $8.2 trillion, more than a third of the U.S. gross domestic product, before this current round of spending. Less than two years ago in September of 2019, it amounted to less than $3.8 trillion. In less than two years, the money supply more than doubled. When you flood the market with apples, widgets, pencils, gasoline, labor, or any other product, it puts downward pressure on price. This applies to money. The Federal Reserve, with the encouragement of the current president, his predecessor, and Congress, flooded the market with money. Guess what happened? Something very predictable. The value of our money slipped to a degree not witnessed in decades.

And then:

As politicians ponder this $3.5 trillion budget legislation, a Hill/HarrisX poll reports that Americans regard the two problems that the budget likely exacerbates as the top economic concerns facing the nation. Thirty-one percent of registered voters called inflation the top concern. The national debt, earning top billing for 22 percent, came in second. The people understand economics better than the people they elect do.

Without getting into the politics too much, I have to think (hope) that most Americans want their kids and grandkids to be better off than they are/were, and yet here we are spending money hand over fist that future generations will have to pay the growing interest on. And don't give me this crap that it's intra-govt debt, most of it is NOT. Sooner or later interest rates will rise and when they do this country will have a major problem.

Every morning I get a daily email missive from Dan Flynn, who writes for The American Spectator. This morning he wrote this in reference to how much money the Gov't is spending in just the last day or 2:

Do the politicians not see how spending money that does not exist adversely impacts money that does exist? The United States no longer relies on the Chinese, Japanese, or Europeans for the bulk of its deficit financing. It depreciates its currency to fund its operations. The Federal Reserve balance sheet amounts to $8.2 trillion, more than a third of the U.S. gross domestic product, before this current round of spending. Less than two years ago in September of 2019, it amounted to less than $3.8 trillion. In less than two years, the money supply more than doubled. When you flood the market with apples, widgets, pencils, gasoline, labor, or any other product, it puts downward pressure on price. This applies to money. The Federal Reserve, with the encouragement of the current president, his predecessor, and Congress, flooded the market with money. Guess what happened? Something very predictable. The value of our money slipped to a degree not witnessed in decades.

And then:

As politicians ponder this $3.5 trillion budget legislation, a Hill/HarrisX poll reports that Americans regard the two problems that the budget likely exacerbates as the top economic concerns facing the nation. Thirty-one percent of registered voters called inflation the top concern. The national debt, earning top billing for 22 percent, came in second. The people understand economics better than the people they elect do.

Without getting into the politics too much, I have to think (hope) that most Americans want their kids and grandkids to be better off than they are/were, and yet here we are spending money hand over fist that future generations will have to pay the growing interest on. And don't give me this crap that it's intra-govt debt, most of it is NOT. Sooner or later interest rates will rise and when they do this country will have a major problem.
I have been buying gold and silver every quarter up to $10,000 at a time. I feel that the dumbass citizens of the US are going to have to have a wake up call before they start rebelling against the establishment Republicans and Democrats. Those entities up on Capitol Hill dont give a shit about the common "worker" so they continue to pander to those who sit on their lazy ass all day, smoke dope and watch Netflix. When there is no longer food at the local stores, then people will get angry.

The estimated aggregate cost of the War on Poverty is nearly $28 trillion, which is three and a half times higher than the $8 trillion total price tag of every major war since the American Revolution.

It’s Time to Admit the Feds Are Making Poverty Worse—Not ...

www.independent.org/news/article.asp?id=11707

Simple math on what it would be like to spend 1 trillion dollars.

If you spent 1 dollar every second how long would it take you to spend 1 trillion dollars.
$1 x 60 seconds = $60 minute
$60 x 60 minutes = $360 an hour
$360 x 24 hours = $8,640 a day
$8,640 x 364.25 days = $3,147,120 a year
$3,147,120 x 320 (1000 years) = just over 1 trillion dollars yet the government is spending 5 times this. And it isnt their money, but ours.

Did he send Emails while Trump was calling the shots on debt?
It was one he received.
Even though you are a hypocrite, its cool to call out others. It just isnt present here.
Maybe you can find a post where task was defending his spending. If not, you make it obvious you dont want to discuss the substance, and choose to deflect.

Did he send Emails while Trump was calling the shots on debt?
I got emails from him(Flynn), didn't send any. Let's be honest about this, Trump did spend more money than I'd like, BUT he had to deal with Pelosi and her Dem-controlled House that wanted to spend a helluva lot more. So -while Trump and the GOP deserve some of the blame for our rising debt and deficits, IMHO the Democrats are going bat-shit crazy now that Biden is in office and nobody can deny that.

Now that we've got the political bullshit over with, I'd like to hear from you and any other Lefties out there, does it not bother you that your party wants to spend all this money that is not paid for? Or do you really think it's paid for? The fact that the debt and deficits rose under Trump and Obama before him does not in any way alleviate the need to get gov't spending under control. How do you not see the growing problem that we are leaving to future generations?

And then:

At least one media outlet has given Biden the motto of "spend to the end", which sounds more like a strategy most 5th graders have while spending money at an arcade. No sensible administration backs unlimited spending. I almost laughed (if it weren't so sad) when I read congress was working hard to reduce the monster infrastructure bill when in fact it contains multiple social programs having nothing to do with infrastructure. IOW-more of the same of mega bills with pet projects slipped in having nothing to do with roads, buildings, bridges, and too lengthy to read for most containing tens of millions of dollars in a bill referred to as it's all about infrastructure. I'll check more about the itemized dollar amount for non-infrastructure pork.

I would have thought China would have called in its US debt by now; good thing CCP relies on American businesses and consumers to sell their sweat-shop produced wares in bulk and buy treasury bonds when dirt cheap. I assume that the primary reason for the debt recall delay is CCP's continued need for US trade to prop up its own economy.

The US needs to wake up and start making ALL of its prescription drugs domestically, as in zero companies operating out of China or impose stiff tariffs for the greedy misers who won't budge. This should have been a congressional priority 40 years ago.

"The national security risks of increased Chinese dominance of the global API market cannot be overstated," Christopher Priest, the acting deputy assistant director for health care operations and Tricare for the Defense Health Agency, told a U.S.-China advisory panel in Washington this summer."

Last edited:
Did you get those emails while Donald Trump was running a $3 trillion deficit or only now that Biden is President?
Do we really need to rehash which past presidential administrations added the most to the US debt? Hint-Trump didn't make the cut of the top 5 worst "offenders".

Here you go RW...read it and weep (privately of course) lol

Do we really need to rehash which past presidential administrations added the most to the US debt? Hint-Trump didn't make the cut of the top 5 worst "offenders".

Here you go RW...read it and weep (privately of course) lol

You do realize Trump added as much debt in four years as Obama did in eight

That Trump had four times the deficit

Donald Trump: As of the end of FY 2020, the debt was $26.9 trillion. Trump added $6.7 trillion to the debt since Obama's last budget, a 33.1% increase due to the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) predicted that the pandemic would raise the FY 2020 deficit by $2.2 trillion and the FY 2021 deficit by $0.6 trillion.9
In his FY 2021 budget, Trump's budget includes a $966 billion deficit.10
  • FY 2020 - $4.226 trillion
  • FY 2019 - $1.563 trillion
  • FY 2018 - $1.272 trillion

Barack Obama: Added $8.588 trillion, a 73.6% increase from the $11.657 trillion debt at the end of Bush’s last budget in 2009.6

And then:

This I agree with: "most Americans want their kids and grandkids to be better off than they are/were,"

The national debt is a concern, yet the costs and debt will be over a decade, and the benefits will benefit our posterity. We can't forever kick the can down the road and that defines fiscal conservatism. Cutting taxes and doing nothing has been on going the past forty years.

It seems people like you think a Trillion Dollars doesn't have cost benefits, and is going to amass a great debt. Taxes paid by skilled labor repairing or replacing and building anew bridges, canals, heavy and light rail will bring forth user fees; adding two years of free education in Community Colleges will benefit American Citizens in elementary school now (to be able to challenge children from foreign nations taking good paying jobs for our kids and grandkids); fees and fines to the private sectors for lateness in the contract and/or failure to pass inspection; the millions of workers who will spend on Main Streets in all communities which see fit to compete for their needs.

Donald Trump: As of the end of FY 2020, the debt was $26.9 trillion. Trump added $6.7 trillion to the debt since Obama's last budget, a 33.1% increase due to the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) predicted that the pandemic would raise the FY 2020 deficit by $2.2 trillion and the FY 2021 deficit by $0.6 trillion.9
In his FY 2021 budget, Trump's budget includes a $966 billion deficit.10
  • FY 2020 - $4.226 trillion
  • FY 2019 - $1.563 trillion
  • FY 2018 - $1.272 trillion

Barack Obama: Added $8.588 trillion, a 73.6% increase from the $11.657 trillion debt at the end of Bush’s last budget in 2009.6
in a nutshell

Trump added $6.7 billion (not counting his 2021 budget ) in just FOUR YEARS

Obama added $8.5 billion in EIGHT YEARS

Yet, Republicans went apeshit at Obama over his rising debt but not a word about Trump running up the debt

in a nutshell

Yet, Republicans went apeshit at Obama over his rising debt but not a word about Trump running up the debt
Kinda like how you guys did the same thing with trump debt and ignore bidens? Lolz

in a nutshell

The economists mostly agree about looking at the percentages for a true comparative analysis, otherwise the claim of dollar against dollar amounts is pretty much bogus...as was indicated in my previous post. I realize you are a die-hard partisan at least according to your posts, so any notion to sway your fixed opinion is mute and I'm sticking to facts:) Let's agree to disagree.

The economists mostly agree about looking at the percentages for a true comparative analysis, otherwise the claim of dollar against dollar amounts is pretty much bogus...as was indicated in my previous post. I realize you are a die-hard partisan at least according to your posts, so any notion to sway your fixed opinion is mute and I'm sticking to facts:) Let's agree to disagree.
How do you justify Trump running up as much debt in four years as Obama did in eight ?

How do you justify Trump running up as much debt in four years as Obama did in eight ?
Do you even read other poster's sources when you know it doesn't match your own take? A true question, not being snarky. Because you left out percentages, I can say you didn't read mine.

If I thought you wanted to compare notes about Obama's expenditures with having a much greater percentage in increased spending compared to his predecessor GWB, outweighing Trump's percentage increase from Obama's last term in 2016, I'd spend the time looking for multiple sources to support my facts. This comparative about overspending is accurate, but looking how both sides overspend it just doesn't make sense to support any overspending which has led to production of new money, that is (as the norm) followed by another adjustment of interest rates. What a balancing act.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back