Do you believe the war on drugs is a failure?

Also, far be it for me to claim that I know better than the results of any scientific study, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find this cannabis psychosis concept counter intuitive. I've been getting stoned on nearly a daily basis for close to 15 years and I like to think that I've still got a pretty firm grasp on reality.

I've also known a lot of other people getting stoned regularly. Never saw anyone go nuts from it. I've seen a lot of people that "smoked themselves stupid", but most of them weren't exactly NASA candidates to begin with (and I thank my lucky stars that I, apparently, had a little more to work with up stairs than they did at the onset of my drug use). But out of the dozens of potheads that have been my friends/acquaintances over the years, I have yet to see a single one display any "psychotic" personality traits.

Then again, I'm not a trained psychologist, and for all I know there's a good deal of shit that passes for psychotic that I would personally consider innocuous.

Two words.
Jared Loughner.

His experiences were a bit different than yours.

Is there evidence that Loughner committed his acts based on marijuana use? Is there evidence that he did not use other drugs? Or are you simply saying that no matter what other factors may be involved, if someone does something crazy and is a pot-smoker, that must be the cause?

If so, what is your solution to drug abuse in America?

What war on drugs? There has never been any war on drugs anywhere in the US. The only war on drugs has been against non-cronies of government officials, the pharmaceutical industry and so-called doctors.

I believe the best way to fight drug abuse in our drug-crazed US will be to start penalizing those so-called doctors who intentionally stigmatized folks and wrongfully medicate them, and thus turn them into drug addicts. Not every health condition needs labeling and/or medication

Also, far be it for me to claim that I know better than the results of any scientific study, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find this cannabis psychosis concept counter intuitive. I've been getting stoned on nearly a daily basis for close to 15 years and I like to think that I've still got a pretty firm grasp on reality.

I've also known a lot of other people getting stoned regularly. Never saw anyone go nuts from it. I've seen a lot of people that "smoked themselves stupid", but most of them weren't exactly NASA candidates to begin with (and I thank my lucky stars that I, apparently, had a little more to work with up stairs than they did at the onset of my drug use). But out of the dozens of potheads that have been my friends/acquaintances over the years, I have yet to see a single one display any "psychotic" personality traits.

Then again, I'm not a trained psychologist, and for all I know there's a good deal of shit that passes for psychotic that I would personally consider innocuous.

Two words.
Jared Loughner.

Jared Loughner was also reported to have used LSD and mushrooms in the past, and I'm pretty sure both (definitely LSD) have been proven to have a high potential for long-term psychological effects.

"Zach Osler, a high school classmate of Loughner's, and his closest friend, indicated that Loughner's life began to unravel after his high school girlfriend broke up with him, and he then began to abuse alcohol and drugs, specifically Salvia divinorum (a natural hallucinogen illegal in many states).[13] Another longtime friend, Kylie Smith, added that he had used cannabis (marijuana), psychedelic mushrooms, and LSD around that same time.[14] Loughner quit using marijuana (as well as alcohol and tobacco) in late 2008 and has not used it since, according to one of his longtime friends.[15] The U.S. Army confirmed that Loughner had been rejected as "unqualified" for service in 2008.[16][17][18] According to military sources, Loughner admitted to marijuana use on numerous occasions during the application process.[6]" - Wiki article on Jared Loughner

So sources that knew him personally said he hadn't used marijuana for 3 years prior to the shooting, that he also used psychedelics in the past, and his life starting spinning out of control when his high school sweetheart left him and he began drinking heavily and using salvia. Yet, despite all of these potential factors, you can say definitively that what he did was caused by marijuana use? Are you psychic, or. . .? I'm just curious how you've come about this knowledge.

Also, if you looked at all the drug violence that has ever happened in this country, sifted through it to separate out those crimes that resulted from black market turf disputes and robberies, and just ground it down to people that went crazy from the use of illicit substances and then committed acts of violence, how do you think that number would stack up against the number of people in this country that have ever gone crazy during a bad breakup and committed acts of violence based on that particular brand of temporary insanity? Crimes of passion vs crimes of psychosis brought on by drug use. I'm willing to bet that the numbers would be comparable, at the very least. Should we then outlaw romantic relationships to avoid the violence that might result?

Two words.
Jared Loughner.

Is there evidence that Loughner committed his acts based on marijuana use? Is there evidence that he did not use other drugs? Or are you simply saying that no matter what other factors may be involved, if someone does something crazy and is a pot-smoker, that must be the cause?

His background was gone into quite extensively. He was a very heavy marijuana user. His marijuana use was the subject of numerous complaints of his classmates and teachers. No one paid attention to him. That's the bottom of it. He was just one of the stoners, like millions of other stoners that aren't a problem until they become a problem and someone dies. When he was arrested for possession he got diversion, like millions of other stoners.

Lisa Voice was attacked in her home in Britian. She was beaten so badly that she required 15 surgeries. Her attacker was Peter Thomas a regular and heavy marijuana user. This case is one of the reasons why the UK is finally looking into the issue of cannabis psychosis. A condition that marijuana supporters refuse to admit exists.

If the two cases, Thomas and Lougher are looked at, the progression of the disease is identical. One would think that at the very least someone would be able to step in at the last minute and stop these people before they hurt someone. In the last days preceding a psychotic break the user gets increasingly erratic and disconnected from reality. In an ordinary person this would be cause for alarm. Someone would notice. But, the myth of the innocent and gentle pot head is so pervasive that it's almost bias and prejudice to recognize or mention that a pothead is ready to break. It's generally accepted that marijuana users come with a guarantee of non-violence. All they do is lay around, say "dude" a lot and eat Chee-tohs. At the very least, without further doubt and especially if marijuana is legal, everyone should be educated in recognizing cannabis psychosis and the progression of this disease so that they can step in before someone gets hurt. Or, is marijuana SO IMPORTANT, So VITAL, that no one should be educated in what to look for or step in when a user breaks?

Also, if you looked at all the drug violence that has ever happened in this country, sifted through it to separate out those crimes that resulted from black market turf disputes and robberies, and just ground it down to people that went crazy from the use of illicit substances and then committed acts of violence, how do you think that number would stack up against the number of people in this country that have ever gone crazy during a bad breakup and committed acts of violence based on that particular brand of temporary insanity? Crimes of passion vs crimes of psychosis brought on by drug use. I'm willing to bet that the numbers would be comparable, at the very least. Should we then outlaw romantic relationships to avoid the violence that might result?

In a bad breakup there is the breakee and the breaker. In psychosis, including drug psychosis the victim is entirely random. In a bad breakup someone can take steps, get a restraining order, put stronger locks on their home. Take a different route to work. There are no defensive measures to be taken against a random psychotic. The answer isn't to outlaw drugs or romantic relationships. The answer is being armed and trained in how to use them.

Ask any cop which he would rather 'deal' with, a drunk or a stoner.

I've dealt with stoners, including one that did become a psychotic. Most stoners don't do anything, which is their problem. They don't do anything. Some time ago, my neighbor was a stoner. His 13 year old son called the police saying he couldn't get daddy up. My neighbor was taken to the hospital for an overnight and the next day, the kid had all Dad's stuff on the lawn in a big garage sale! The kid asked to go live with his grandmother because he couldn't deal with daddy's drug use. Fortunately the court agreed with him and the child went to live with his grandmother. How did it all end up? The boy eventually went to college. By then Daddy was so much of a stoner that he had to move closer to his mother where his mom rented him a room close to her house where he could be a stoner in peace.

This was dealt with. It would have been dealt with in exactly the same way if pot were legal. So it's a wash. No real harm, no real foul.

In a bad breakup there is the breakee and the breaker. In psychosis, including drug psychosis the victim is entirely random. In a bad breakup someone can take steps, get a restraining order, put stronger locks on their home. Take a different route to work. There are no defensive measures to be taken against a random psychotic. The answer isn't to outlaw drugs or romantic relationships. The answer is being armed and trained in how to use them.

There are a couple more defensive measures that can be taken against a known assailant, but in all fairness, the truly effective ones could be used in either situation (stronger locks, being armed and proficient, etc). Taking different routes can protect you during your transit only, and with a restraining order you only guarantee a greater punitive response, but it doesn't significantly protect someone from physical harm. A lover scorned can accomplish quite a bit during the span between a 911 call and actual police response.

Your final sentiment, however, is one I stand behind wholeheartedly. I'm fine with anyone doing any drugs they want. Mr. Mossberg 590 and his friends AR and XDM hanging around my bedroom and kitchen provide me with all the security from psychosis that I desire.

Two words.
Jared Loughner.

His background was gone into quite extensively. He was a very heavy marijuana user. His marijuana use was the subject of numerous complaints of his classmates and teachers. No one paid attention to him. That's the bottom of it. He was just one of the stoners, like millions of other stoners that aren't a problem until they become a problem and someone dies. When he was arrested for possession he got diversion, like millions of other stoners.

Lisa Voice was attacked in her home in Britian. She was beaten so badly that she required 15 surgeries. Her attacker was Peter Thomas a regular and heavy marijuana user. This case is one of the reasons why the UK is finally looking into the issue of cannabis psychosis. A condition that marijuana supporters refuse to admit exists.

If the two cases, Thomas and Lougher are looked at, the progression of the disease is identical. One would think that at the very least someone would be able to step in at the last minute and stop these people before they hurt someone. In the last days preceding a psychotic break the user gets increasingly erratic and disconnected from reality. In an ordinary person this would be cause for alarm. Someone would notice. But, the myth of the innocent and gentle pot head is so pervasive that it's almost bias and prejudice to recognize or mention that a pothead is ready to break. It's generally accepted that marijuana users come with a guarantee of non-violence. All they do is lay around, say "dude" a lot and eat Chee-tohs. At the very least, without further doubt and especially if marijuana is legal, everyone should be educated in recognizing cannabis psychosis and the progression of this disease so that they can step in before someone gets hurt. Or, is marijuana SO IMPORTANT, So VITAL, that no one should be educated in what to look for or step in when a user breaks?

First, as someone else posted and I've read myself, Loughner supposedly stopped using marijuana quite a while before the shooting. Further, there's testimony that he used a number of other drugs as well. So, trying to claim his actions were caused by marijuana use is a shaky proposition.

Second, so far as I have seen there is no definitive evidence of marijuana causing any type of psychosis. There is some evidence that it may play a part, but even that is still vague. Just how it may affect users, whether it has an affect on those not already experiencing or at risk for some form of psychosis, etc. is still up in the air. So, while it certainly merits more research, and saying pot smokers will never do violent or crazy things is foolish, I don't think it's fair to make it out as extraordinarily dangerous. Alcohol still seems far more likely to cause dangerous behavior.

Two words.
Jared Loughner.

As a marijuana user and supporter, I don't refuse to admit that marijuana psychosis exists. I said it seems counter intuitive based on the fact that, of all the stoners I've known for any period of time, I've never seen any evidence of a slide toward psychosis.

Also, as a long term pot user, I've never, ever been under the impression that all pot users are nonviolent. I've never grown the stuff, so I gotta get it from dealers. Over the years, therefore, I've had many transactions and interactions with all sorts of other people who operate outside of the law, many of whom were shady as FUCK. Even got robbed when I was young and dumb enough to ignore my gut and defer to the suggestions of some of my more trusting, gullible friends. Had several acquaintances shot and/or stabbed over marijuana by other users. In all of my own personal experiences with violent potheads, however, the presence of the weed was incidental. The chuckleheads committing the acts of violence were shady as shit to begin with, and typically users of more than one illicit/controlled/mind altering substance. Most of the anecdotal "evidence" I've ever been presented with has an awful lot of potential holes in it.

I don't know anything about Peter Thomas, so I won't comment on what was responsible for his action.

Loughner, on the other hand, used several drugs that have a considerably greater correlation to psychosis and violent actions (LSD, psilocybin, alcohol), and personal acquaintances said he started spinning out of control after his high school sweetheart left him. I can't say everyone is like me, but I know that personally I've never seriously contemplated committing suicide or unjustifiable violence because I was stoned. For me it truly has the desired, "Fuck it" effect. I have, however, contemplated both after breaking up with my fiance and long-time girlfriend several years back, which makes me inclined to believe that even dude's high school sweetheart leaving him had at least as much potential of driving him toward his violent outburst as the weed he smoked. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe not. Point is, this case can hardly be considered anything remotely close to definitive evidence that marijuana causes psychosis.

Nevertheless, the Thomas case, along with potentially infinite other cases I'm unaware of, might be more definitive. I'm certainly open to the possibility that marijuana has been the sole cause of people losing their mind. I just don't think it happens definitively with any significant frequency.

Ask any cop which he would rather 'deal' with, a drunk or a stoner.

I can say with 100% certainty that every police officer and former police officer that I know on a personal level would say a "stoner", given the popular definitions. While potheads aren't, by any stretch of the imagination, all non violent, it's common knowledge that the intoxicating effects of alcohol make people much more prone to violent outburst (while under the influence, not necessarily down the road when psychological effects have had a chance to fester, though I'd wager the same general rule would stand even then) than those of marijuana. Having worked as a bouncer and head of floor security at a night club for 8 years, that truth was always blatantly obvious to me as well as to the police working the beat in the nightclub district, many of whom I got to know pretty well over the years.

Even this right wing nut sees the light...

Pat Robertson Calls For Relaxed Marijuana Possession Laws

r-PATROBERTSONMARIJUAN-large570.jpg

Television evangelist Pat Robertson took to the airwaves of "The 700 Club" last week to condemn arrests for marijuana possession, as reported earlier on the blog for the organization Law Enforcement Against Prohibition.

"I became sort of a hero of the hippie culture, I guess, when I said I think we ought to decriminalize the possession of marijuana," Robertson said, according to Reason magazine. "I just think it's shocking how many of these young people wind up in prison and they get turned into hardcore criminals because they had a possession of a very small amount of controlled substance. The whole thing is crazy. We've said, 'we're conservative, we're tough on crime.' That's baloney. It's costing us billions and billions of dollars."

more

"The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens." --Thomas Jefferson: Note in Destutt de Tracy, "Political Economy," 1816. ME 14:465

Is there some rule that says pot smokers don't drink? They seem to do both, simultaneously, with remarkable regularity.

I have been working on a case involving cannabis psychosis and become more familiar with cause and effect. It seems to be an affliction of someone that started using young, while the brain is still developing. That's why psychosis related to marijuana use is becoming more common now while it wasn't before. Users start at ever younger ages.

I support the full legalization of all drugs, including prescription drugs. Protect the public, and let the addicts take whatever they want. Drug users die young. They are self-limiting if given the opportunity and means.

If marijuana use cased psychosis then the boomer generation would have a rate psychosis far greater than the WWII generation which didn't use marijuana.

But in fact the rate of psychosis is down in the boomer generation in comparison to the WWII generation. (nobody is quite sure why, but the numbers are there for your consideration)

One can only conclude that those "clinical studies" are flawed, kiddies.

The outcomes found in the greater REALITY trump statisical clinical trials designed to mirror that reality.

If you don't understand why the above statement is true then there's really no hope of anybody explaining it to you.

If marijuana use cased psychosis then the boomer generation would have a rate psychosis far greater than the WWII generation which didn't use marijuana.

But in fact the rate of psychosis is down in the boomer generation in comparison to the WWII generation. (nobody is quite sure why, but the numbers are there for your consideration)

One can only conclude that those "clinical studies" are flawed, kiddies.

The outcomes found in the greater REALITY trump statisical clinical trials designed to mirror that reality.

If you don't understand why the above statement is true then there's really no hope of anybody explaining it to you.

Wrong comparison. The boomer generation did not start using marijuana as early as suceeding generations. It would be the boomer grandchildren getting into late teens, early twenties now that exhibit psychotic symptoms. And those are the ones that are.
It's not the effect marijuna has that's a cause of psychosis, but the effect marijuana has on developing brains that are the cause of psychosis.

The WWII generation used pot rarely, if at all. Boomers started using in college or in the military. Boomer children started in high school. Boomer grandchildren start using in elementary school or in junior high.

The chidren raised by pot users start using at a younger age than their parents did. The effect of pot on the developing brains is just now showing what damage it does.

Last edited:
10 Major Health Benefits of Marijuana

1. Cancer

There is a lot of unfounded rhetoric that states smoking pot can cause lung cancer because your inhaling smoke, like cigarettes. This simply isn’t true. Cigarette smoke causes cancer because the tobacco is radiated whereas marijuana isn’t. In fact, the American Association for Cancer Research has found the marijuana actually works to slow down tumor growth in the lungs, breasts, and brain considerably.

2. Seizures

Marijuana is a muscle relaxant and has “antispasmodic” qualities which have proven to be a very effective treatment of seizures. There are actually countless cases of people suffering from seizures that have only been able to function better through the use of marijuana.

3. Migraines

Since medicinal marijuana was legalized in California, doctors have reported that they have been able to treat more than 300,000 cases of migraines that conventional medicine couldn’t through marijuana. And that’s NOT just because it’s easy to fake having migraines, right? RIGHT?!

4. Glaucoma

Marijuana’s treatment of glaucoma has been one of the best documented. There isn’t a single valid study that exists that disproves marijuana’s very powerful and popular effects on glaucoma patients. Beat that, DEA!

5. Multiple Sclerosis

Marijuana’s effects on multiple sclerosis patients became better documented when former talk-show host, Montel Williams began to use pot to treat his MS. Marijuana works to stop the neurological effects and muscle spasms that come from the fatal disease.

6. Tourette’s and OCD

Just like marijuana can treat seizures and multiple sclerosis, marijuana’s effects slow down the tics in those suffering from Tourette’s, and the obsessive neurological symptoms in people with OCD.

7. ADD and ADHD

A well documented USC study done about a year ago showed that marijuana is not only a perfect alternative for Ritalin but treats the disorder without any of the negative side effects of the pharmaceutical.

8. IBS and Crohn’s

Marijuana has shown that it can help with symptoms of the chronic diseases as it stops nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

9. Alzheimer’s

Despite what you may have heard about marijuana’s effects on the brain, the Scripps Institute, in 2006, proved that the THC found in marijuana works to prevent Alzheimer’s by blocking the deposits in the brain that cause the disease.

10. Premenstrual Syndrome

Next time your girlfriend is complaining that you smoke too much weed, hand her a joint. Just like marijuana is used to treat IBS, it can be used to treat the cramps and discomfort that causes your girlfriend to lash out at you. Using marijuana for PMS actually goes all the way back to Queen Victoria. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

So now that you’ve read through all this, can you really let anyone convince you of a need for marijuana rehab? I think we’ve made a pretty good case that marijuana IS rehab! It is also highly recommended that you check out The Union (for free!), a great documentary made by Brett Harvey.

10 Major Health Benefits of Marijuana

I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough in medicine to claim an opinion of any of the medical studies, but I will say the idea of marijuana rehab seems ridiculous. I've heard a lot of speculation, but considering how heavily I've used it at times in the past alongside the fact that I've quit, many times, for months at a time, and never experienced any physical cravings or anything that could be called a withdrawal symptom, it's hard for me to buy into there being any significant chemical addiction. There definitely seems to be a well recognized pattern of moodiness when someone first quits marijuana, but that can hardly be definitively called a chemical withdrawal. Quitting something that you enjoy on a regular basis is obviously going to have some degree of an adverse emotional response. For those prone to non chemical addiction, this moodiness can be pretty severe. The same could be said, however, for someone addicted to sex having to go celibate for an extended period, but it can hardly be said that a guy on a cold streak is going through vagina withdrawals. Actually, you could say it, and I would have a pretty good laugh with you. It wouldn't be factual, though.

So, for my money, marijuana rehab would be comparable to sunflower seed rehab, or rehab for playing The Sims. Many of us here on the board would benefit, I'm sure, from Politicoholics Anonymous.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back