Do you believe the legislation of Congress ( re: healthcare ) ...

Universal Healthcare: Is it an enumerated power of Congress?

• Yes

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Wash your mouth out with martian soap Emma. :razz: I do not play loose and fast. That is how you get political herpes. ;)

"To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof" does not mean that Congress can make up laws that ignore or conflict their enumerated powers Emma. Any leglislation passed by them, must conform to Article 1, Section 8. Universal Healthcare does not fall under the proper purview of Congress.

Federalist Papers #29

"The same persons who tell us in one breath,that the powers of the federal government will be despotic and unlimited, inform us in the next, that it has not authority sufficient even to call out the POSSE COMITATUS. The latter, fortunately, is as much short of the truth as the former exceeds it. It would be as absurd to doubt, that a right to pass all laws NECESSARY AND PROPER to execute its declared powers, would include that of requiring the assistance of the citizens to the officers who may be intrusted with the execution of those laws, as it would be to believe, that a right to enact laws necessary and proper for the imposition and collection of taxes would
involve that of varying the rules of descent and of the alienation of
landed property, or of abolishing the trial by jury in cases relating to
it. It being therefore evident that the supposition of a want of power
to require the aid of the POSSE COMITATUS is entirely destitute of
color, it will follow, that the conclusion which has been drawn from it,
in its application to the authority of the federal government over the
militia, is as uncandid as it is illogical. What reason could there be
to infer, that force was intended to be the sole instrument of
authority, merely because there is a power to make use of it when
necessary? What shall we think of the motives which could induce men of
sense to reason in this manner? How shall we prevent a conflict between
charity and conviction?"

Federalist Papers 33

"What is a power, but the ability or faculty of doing a thing? What is the ability to do a thing, but the power of employing the MEANS necessary to its execution? What is a LEGISLATIVE power, but a power of making LAWS? What are the MEANS to execute a LEGISLATIVE power but LAWS? What is the power of laying and collecting taxes, but a LEGISLATIVE POWER, or a power of MAKING LAWS, to lay and collect taxes? What are the proper means of executing such a power, but NECESSARY and PROPER laws?

This simple train of inquiry furnishes us at once with a test by which to judge of the true nature of the clause complained of. It conducts us to this palpable truth, that a power to lay and collect taxes must be a power to pass all laws NECESSARY and PROPER for the execution of that power; and what does the unfortunate and culumniated provision in question do more than declare the same truth, to wit, that the national legislature, to whom the power of laying and collecting taxes had been previously given, might, in the execution of that power, pass all laws NECESSARY and PROPER to carry it into effect? I have applied these observations thus particularly to the power of taxation, because it is the immediate subject under consideration, and because it is the most important of the authorities proposed to be conferred upon the Union. But the same process will lead to the same result, in relation to all other powers declared in the Constitution. And it is EXPRESSLY to execute these powers that the sweeping clause, as it has been affectedly called, authorizes the national legislature to pass all NECESSARY and PROPER laws. If there is any thing exceptionable, it must be sought for in the specific powers upon which this general declaration is predicated. The declaration itself, though it may be chargeable with tautology or redundancy, is at least perfectly harmless."

Federalist Papers 44

"The sixth and last class consists of the several powers and provisions by which efficacy is given to all the rest.

1. Of these the first is, the "power to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof."

Few parts of the Constitution have been assailed with more intemperance than this; yet on a fair investigation of it, no part can appear more completely invulnerable. Without the substance of this power, the whole Constitution would be a dead letter. Those who object to the article, therefore, as a part of the Constitution, can only mean that the form of the provision is improper. But have they considered whether a better form could have been substituted?

There are four other possible methods which the Constitution might have taken on this subject. They might have copied the second article of the existing Confederation, which would have prohibited the exercise of any power not expressly delegated; they might have attempted a positive enumeration of the powers comprehended under the general terms "necessary and proper"; they might have attempted a negative enumeration of them, by specifying the powers excepted from the general definition; they might have been altogether silent on the subject, leaving these necessary and proper powers to construction and inference.

Had the convention taken the first method of adopting the second article of Confederation, it is evident that the new Congress would be continually exposed, as their predecessors have been, to the alternative of construing the term "expressly" with so much rigor, as to disarm the government of all real authority whatever, or with so much latitude as to destroy altogether the force of the restriction. It would be easy to show, if it were necessary, that no important power, delegated by the articles of Confederation, has been or can be executed by Congress, without recurring more or less to the doctrine of construction or implication. As the powers delegated under the new system are more extensive, the government which is to administer it would find itself still more distressed with the alternative of betraying the public interests by doing nothing, or of violating the Constitution by exercising powers indispensably necessary and proper, but, at the same time, not expressly granted.

Had the convention attempted a positive enumeration of the powers necessary and proper for carrying their other powers into effect, the attempt would have involved a complete digest of laws on every subject to which the Constitution relates; accommodated too, not only to the existing state of things, but to all the possible changes which futurity may produce; for in every new application of a general power, the particular powers, which are the means of attaining the object of the general power, must always necessarily vary with that object, and be often properly varied whilst the object remains the same.

Had they attempted to enumerate the particular powers or means not necessary or proper for carrying the general powers into execution, the task would have been no less chimerical; and would have been liable to this further objection, that every defect in the enumeration would have been equivalent to a positive grant of authority. If, to avoid this consequence, they had attempted a partial enumeration of the exceptions, and described the residue by the general terms, not necessary or proper, it must have happened that the enumeration would comprehend a few of the excepted powers only; that these would be such as would be least likely to be assumed or tolerated, because the enumeration would of course select such as would be least necessary or proper; and that the unnecessary and improper powers included in the residuum, would be less forcibly excepted, than if no partial enumeration had been made.

Had the Constitution been silent on this head, there can be no doubt that all the particular powers requisite as means of executing the general powers would have resulted to the government, by unavoidable implication. No axiom is more clearly established in law, or in reason, than that wherever the end is required, the means are authorized; wherever a general power to do a thing is given, every particular power necessary for doing it is included. Had this last method, therefore, been pursued by the convention, every objection now urged against their plan would remain in all its plausibility; and the real inconveniency would be incurred of not removing a pretext which may be seized on critical occasions for drawing into question the essential powers of the Union.

If it be asked what is to be the consequence, in case the Congress shall misconstrue this part of the Constitution, and exercise powers not warranted by its true meaning, I answer, the same as if they should misconstrue or enlarge any other power vested in them; as if the general power had been reduced to particulars, and any one of these were to be violated; the same, in short, as if the State legislatures should violate the irrespective constitutional authorities. In the first instance, the success of the usurpation will depend on the executive and judiciary departments, which are to expound and give effect to the legislative acts; and in the last resort a remedy must be obtained from the people who can, by the election of more faithful representatives, annul the acts of the usurpers. The truth is, that this ultimate redress may be more confided in against unconstitutional acts of the federal than of the State legislatures, for this plain reason, that as every such act of the former will be an invasion of the rights of the latter, these will be ever ready to mark the innovation, to sound the alarm to the people, and to exert their local influence in effecting a change of federal representatives. There being no such intermediate body between the State legislatures and the people interested in watching the conduct of the former, violations of the State constitutions are more likely to remain unnoticed and unredressed."

With all due respect and love to my lovely constitution loving friend, you are misreading the constitution, in my opinion.

Agan, I am not stating or inferring, that the Executive Branch is limited in the number of cabinet positions and departments it can create or modify. According to the Constitution, it isn't. What it is constrained by, is the check and balance of Congress. Congress holds the purse strings as it were. Any legislation passed by Congress must conform to Article 1, Section 8. It doesn't matter if said legislation has an Executive head. If funding and oversight is called for by Congress, they have to act within their purview.

I am not disputing the fact that H.J. 223 was lawfully passed by Congress. I am asserting that said legislation does not conform to the enumerated powers of Congress as I have previously mentioned. Just because it was passed and signed into law doesn't make it "right" Emma.

In my opinion, H.J. 223 should have never been signed into law, much less suggested. It is Congress that has played loose and fast Emma. What H.J. 223 and its sub-departments amounts to, is a power grab by the federal government. And "We The People" at that time allowed it. And as a whole, they are still allowing the feds to control welfare, education, and health services.

Have a good night, hun. I won't be back tonight unless I can't get to sleep.

Well. Considering that... I probably WILL be back tonight lol.

Anymore now, a good night's sleep is but a remote fantasy :(

May you rest well Emma. ((( huggles ))) We can finish our battle another time. :evil: lol

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States

There you have it. Health care is a basic human right and necessary for the general welfare of the people

That's not what it says.

It says that Congress will provide for the common defense and general welfare of the U.S. - meaning, they will protect us from enemies and keep us safe. Has nothing to do with health care.

Even the Declaration of Independence calls out "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"

"the pursuit" of happiness; not a guarantee of it.

Wait a minute, don't you realize that Congress is only keeping you safe from disease and injury. They are providing for your general welfare or at least that is what they want you to think.

In reality, once they screw up health care, like they have done so many other things... well, then we're just plain screwed!

Have a good night, hun. I won't be back tonight unless I can't get to sleep.

Well. Considering that... I probably WILL be back tonight lol.

Anymore now, a good night's sleep is but a remote fantasy :(

Night Emma, rest well. Remember that when Congress gets control of your health care there may not be any legal prescriptions available to help you get to sleep. All that stuff may be rationed and/or out of reach.

Immie

falls within one of their 18 enumerated powers? If so, which one? Has President Obama cited which parts of the Constitution he believes gives the federal government the enumerated right to dictate such policies? If so, I haven't seen or heard him cite such.

First, just sayin' dude, you're a familiar face!

That said, answering your question, I don't care. Nothing that has been legislated over the past century has been strictly constitutional in your sense of the definition from the way I understand you. None of the articles of the constitution nor the amendments can explain the department of education, the department of the interior, the epa, or for that matter why we seem to have a different federal law enforcement agency for specific types of crime, like the DEA, the ATF, border patrol, postal inspectors, etc. etc. etc.
Nothing after the bolded part matters.

Indeed, it makes you part of the problem.

Okay let me put this another way, I guess in the form of a question: Again, I don't see anything in the Department of the Interior, Education, the EPA, Health, Veteran's Affairs, and I imagine several other departments that's not clearly authorized by the constitution, but are you arguing that all of those I mentioned should be abolished, or am I wrong in stating that the constitution doesn't clearly and directly authorize those agencies? Also, if you think they should be abolished, do you think that would come as a detriment to this country and how we operate?

For the most part, I see a great use for those offices even though I can't quite figure out how the constitution literally spells them out.

"To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof" does not mean that Congress can make up laws that ignore or conflict their enumerated powers Emma. Any leglislation passed by them, must conform to Article 1, Section 8. Universal Healthcare does not fall under the proper purview of Congress.

With all due respect and love to my lovely constitution loving friend, you are misreading the constitution, in my opinion.

Agan, I am not stating or inferring, that the Executive Branch is limited in the number of cabinet positions and departments it can create or modify. According to the Constitution, it isn't. What it is constrained by, is the check and balance of Congress. Congress holds the purse strings as it were. Any legislation passed by Congress must conform to Article 1, Section 8. It doesn't matter if said legislation has an Executive head. If funding and oversight is called for by Congress, they have to act within their purview.

"Section 8. The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;--And

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof."

That final clause IS an enumerated power granted to Congress by Article I, Section 8.

You seem intent on ignoring the words I highlight above, particularly the 'and' following the 17th clause ;)

I am not disputing the fact that H.J. 223 was lawfully passed by Congress. I am asserting that said legislation does not conform to the enumerated powers of Congress as I have previously mentioned. Just because it was passed and signed into law doesn't make it "right" Emma.

In my opinion, H.J. 223 should have never been signed into law, much less suggested. It is Congress that has played loose and fast Emma. What H.J. 223 and its sub-departments amounts to, is a power grab by the federal government. And "We The People" at that time allowed it. And as a whole, they are still allowing the feds to control welfare, education, and health services.
It is a Constitutionally established department of the Executive, therefore by the last paragraph of Article I, section 8 which describes one of the enumerated powers granted to Congress, they are explicitly granted the power to enact laws necessary for carrying into execution the powers vested in that department.

While the Federalist Papers are a fascinating read, they aren't the Constitution. It's clear that the Constitution backs me up on this.

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.

If the Constitution does not explicitly state that the federal government has a power, then it does not have that power. If we accept your interpretation of the above clause then the federal government isn't limited in anything it does whatsoever. However, this clause gives no powers to the federal government. Let's look at the bolded parts. It says the government may make all laws necessary in carrying out the "foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution." The "foregoing powers" are simply those powers explicitly listed directly before this clause. All other powers vested by this Constitution speaks of possible amendments to the Constitution.

The framers gave certain exact powers to the federal government in the Constitution, and reserved all other powers to the states or to the people. The Federalist Papers and the 10th Amendment make this clear.

Forum List

Back