Do you believe in Noahs Ark?

Yes my church, the Roman Catholic Church, the only true Christian church did believe the earth was flat until our Pope learned the truth from God.

I definately believe in the great flood, so Noah's ark has merit with me....maybe i don't understand in detail all that is in the Bible story of it, or all that is in the various great flood myths throughtout the world or the Atlantis myth, but arcaeologists are finding that there was a great flood, and geneticists are saying there was a bottle neck with our DNA tracings that could support a great flood.

Could you provide a reference for the underlined portion, please?

The story of Noah's ark has always stood out to me as one of those stories in the bible, that only proves how inaccurate the bible is. Do Christians really believe this part of the bible, Are these just made up stories that were only meant to have a moral significance, and not to be taken literally?[unquote].

I believe in the moral teaching of the Deluge as rendered in the Bible. I quote from the Catholic Dictionary of the Bible because it concisely summarizes my belief and that of many other (but not all) Christians and Jews.

"The deluge story is an extremely clear example of how the Hebrews could take popular traditions of other people, often almost entirely devoid of historical value. and retell them in such a way as to present important theological conceptions through them here, divine justice and providence , the security and stability of nature resting on the assured good will of God to mankind in spite of he evil inclinations of man's heart." [unquote]

Regarding the Ark of the Covenant, that's easier. It's in a big wooden box in a government warehouse on the east coast of the US.

Regards,

Pat

Last edited:
I believe in it, always have.

Care to watch the video and comment on it? You responded 2 minutes after it posted, and the video is 8 minutes long. Not that you have to watch it, but i was curious what people thought about Joes comments, and what the archeoligist has to say about finding the ark. After watching the video, is your faith only reinforced by this discovery of the boat, or is it possible youve been wrong about it all along? I highly doubt anyone is going to have a big change of heart, but you never know.

I believe in the story but perhaps not the way it is told exactly in the Bible. Look into all the ancient cultures and they tell of a great flood. Look up China's Yu (I believe that is his name).

The heart pumps blood, and any thoughts or emotions humans have come from the brain. Not sure what your point is there, and im not trying to be a smart ass. It seemed like you were making a comparison of faith and love and how they cant be proven, but love can be proven in most situations when you are talking about peoples children. You wont be able to convince me that theres a galactic overlord named Xenu, but you can convince me that you love your children, because its not a stretch to believe it.

Well....I think the difference is that....some might believe these "feelings" stem from the soul (figurative heart).....not the brain. So....if you dont believe you have a soul , or that people posses souls....then you cant believe in faith.

If you were correct about emotions coming from the soul, then people with severe brain damage would still laugh, cry, get scared, get excited, etc. all at the right time. Meaning, if they are watching a person get eaten alive by lions and they are laughing with a glazed look in their eyes, obviously your emotions have become damaged from your severe brain injury. Emotions do NOT come from the soul.

If you need hard proof look up near death experiences. How about that woman a few months ago that was dead for 17 hours!

Well....I think the difference is that....some might believe these "feelings" stem from the soul (figurative heart).....not the brain. So....if you dont believe you have a soul , or that people posses souls....then you cant believe in faith.

If you were correct about emotions coming from the soul, then people with severe brain damage would still laugh, cry, get scared, get excited, etc. all at the right time. Meaning, if they are watching a person get eaten alive by lions and they are laughing with a glazed look in their eyes, obviously your emotions have become damaged from your severe brain injury. Emotions do NOT come from the soul.

If you need hard proof look up near death experiences. How about that woman a few months ago that was dead for 17 hours!

Dead for 17 hours? Got a link to that story?

Woman Wakes Up After Family Says Goodbye, Tubes Pulled - Health News Story - WEWS Cleveland

The story of Noahs ark has always stood out to me as one of those stories in the bible, that only proves how innacurate the bible is. Do christians really believe this part of the bible, and if you dont, can you believe in men who part the sea, or people who can come back from the dead? Are these just made up stories that were only meant to have a moral significance, and not to be taken literally?

I like the contradiction inherent in this idea... that God made a mistake, and felt the need to correct it. Then again, he shoose giant lizards to rule the planet long before he decided on humans... which makes me wonder whom did he create in his own image? #1 or #2?

Of course, one wonders why regular land animals all had to die (with the exception of pairs) but all marine life was left unscathed...

"All the ancient cultures" .... do NOT believe in great floods. This is the cry of the rationalist. As a matter of fact not all ancient legends and myths tell of flooding at all, though most have one or more (note the more) stories about floods you are talking about cultures that existed at different times to. Then there's the fact that if no one survived how is it other cultures would have the story at all? Since there is no evidence to support the story archeologically or historically someone made up this myth about "all ancient cultures" in a sorry attempt to rationalize this and many other beliefs. This is dishonest ... and is changing other cultures and their beliefs for your own selfish needs.

Fact is .... the flood is another myth in a book of myths, possibly base on a flood that occurs in that area periodically flooding the entire region (far from the whole world). Why do christians have to justify their beliefs by saying myths are fact even when it's obvious they are not?

Near death stories are funny ... good humor reads on how the feeble mind is capable of creating such elaborate visions when in stress.

Woman Wakes Up After Family Says Goodbye, Tubes Pulled - Health News Story - WEWS Cleveland

She was "clinically dead". That is not dead and I do not believe for a second that rigor mortis had set in and she was able to be revived - rigor mortis is caused by the lack of oxygen and when that sets in, the tissue is dead. Some of the other things reported about the experience came from her son who is not a doctor.

She was "clinically dead". That is not dead and I do not believe for a second that rigor mortis had set in and she was able to be revived - rigor mortis is caused by the lack of oxygen and when that sets in, the tissue is dead. Some of the other things reported about the experience came from her son who is not a doctor.

i'll alert the media to your concerns. really.

"All the ancient cultures" .... do NOT believe in great floods. This is the cry of the rationalist. As a matter of fact not all ancient legends and myths tell of flooding at all, though most have one or more (note the more) stories about floods you are talking about cultures that existed at different times to. Then there's the fact that if no one survived how is it other cultures would have the story at all? Since there is no evidence to support the story archeologically or historically someone made up this myth about "all ancient cultures" in a sorry attempt to rationalize this and many other beliefs. This is dishonest ... and is changing other cultures and their beliefs for your own selfish needs.

Fact is .... the flood is another myth in a book of myths, possibly base on a flood that occurs in that area periodically flooding the entire region (far from the whole world). Why do christians have to justify their beliefs by saying myths are fact even when it's obvious they are not?

just try to have an open mind kitten, for me, and only for a few minutes, then you can go back to the way you were thinking, ok?

read this clip, then go to the link and read the rest....a world wide flood/great deluge, is certainly possible...that's all....

there are more than 600 ancient stories of the great deluge, included in the writings of homer, regarding Atlantis....

Faith is what keeps me believing in something behind the noah story....but a great DELUGE, probably did happen, not just a regional one...

has this been proven 100% in science, not yet, but they are certainly working on proving the theory based on physical evidence...

Rev 1, October 6, 2004

Theory Supporting the Biblical Account of the Great Flood

James A. Marusek

(As published in the Cambridge-Conference Network (CCNet) , Issue 47/2003 of 29 May 2003))

Summary of Theory

A large comet or asteroid impact in a glacier ice sheet produced the Biblical Great Flood which brought the last Ice Age to an abrupt and sudden end.

Accounts of the Great Flood

A scientific approach might be to discount the Biblical account of the Great Flood as folklore or as a fairy tale. A religious interpretation might be to cloak oneself in dogma and discount science. Somewhere in between lies the true tale of one of the greatest cataclysms to ever befall mankind.

The Great Flood was a very unusual and singular event. Because of the magnitude of the destruction, it would have left an indelible and permanent mark on the minds of any survivors. This story would have been told and retold, passing down from generation to generation. And so it was. The story of the Great Flood is embedded in many cultures and beliefs. Over 600 of these stories throughout the entire world have been carried down to the present age.

I will rely upon 2 accounts, that given in the Bible (Book of Genesis) and the account given in Plato’s dialogues (Timaeus and Critias). These accounts record different frames of reference. They are complementary accounts and dovetail together fairly well. Both accounts describe:

A pre-flood civilization.
God’s decision to destroy mankind because of his wickedness.
The destruction of civilization by a Great Flood.
The suddenness of the cataclysm.
The extent of the destruction affecting the entire globe.
According to the Bible, a Pre-Flood civilization existed. The civilization had cities. They had divisions of labor (farmers, shepherds and livestock keepers, tentmakers, metalworkers, and musicians).

According to Plato, a Pre-Flood civilization existed. The civilizations had massive fleets and armies and large cities. They knew the art of writing. They had divisions of labor (artisans, husbandmen, warriors, carpenters, rulers, shipbuilders, stone quarry workers, metal workers, merchants, and sailors).

According to Plato, the Pre-Flood civilization existed in a great island nation in the Atlantic Ocean called Atlantis, and in distant nations around the Mediterranean (including a pre-Greek and a pre-Egyptian civilizations) and in Asia.

According to the Bible, the Earth was destroyed by a Great Flood when "All the fountains of the great deep burst open and the floodgates of the sky were opened and the rain fell upon the earth for forty days and forty nights." (Gen 7; 11, 12) This passage describes the sea level rising up at the same time torrents of rain fell from the sky.

According to Plato, the island of Atlantis and the distant Mediterranean civilizations were completely destroyed in a single day and night of violent earthquakes and floods. They disappeared into the depths of the sea. And according to Plato, the Great Flood occurred around 11,400 years ago. (The account records the event occurring 9000 years before Plato’s time. Plato’s dialogues were written around 360 BC) This would make the Pre-Flood civilization an Ice Age civilization.

According to the Bible, mankind was destroyed by a Great Flood. Noah and his family built a huge ship, an ark, out of wood sealed with pitch. They were saved when "the flood came upon the earth for forty days; and the water increased and lifted up the ark, so that it rose above the earth and the water prevailed and increased greatly upon the earth, and the ark floated on the surface of the water. And the water prevailed more and more upon the earth, so that all the high mountains everywhere under the heavens were covered." (Gen 7; 17-19). Noah floated in the ark for approximately 370 days.

According to Plato, few people survive the cataclysm. The only survivors dwelt in the mountains. They were herdsmen and shepherds. They were ignorant of the art of writing and had very little education.

The Great Flood

Now I don't expect you to take any of my sites that i accept's word on this, but i do expect you to do a little research on your own, finding the links you accept as sound, and i believe you will find, that the idea of a great deluge has not been ruled out by Science and that there is evidence being gathered showing sea creatures, fossils in some great deserts and even imbedded in the grand canyon and other areas where these salt water creatures should not have been....

In addition to this, there is a project sponsored by National Geographic I believe, on Mitocondrial Eve where female dna from many different countries in the world, has been traced back, based on a known mutation rate of this particular DNa which bottlenecked, Geneticists are describing this as the possible period, where man and woman were wiped off this earth through a major catastrophe...possibly the flood, or where very few humans were living, yet they knew the human origin should have been spread out much more, based on the known mutation rates of the mitocondrial dna....thus what they call a bottle neck...

Now, i am just about as clueless as the next guy on this, but you are smart enough to understand it all...so do your own googling on this and it will explain it better than my attempt above...

Is the Great Flood Story limited to just the Genesis account in the Bible and Plato’s history of the destruction of Atlantis?

No. Stories of the Great Flood are almost universal among the civilizations on Earth. Anthropologists who study legends and folktales from different geographical locations (China, Babylon, Mexico, Egypt, Sudan, Syria, Persia, India, Norway, Wales, Ireland, Indonesia, Romania, Mexico, Peru, Australia, Greece, Tanzania etc.) and cultures consistently have reported one particular group of legends that is common to practically every civilization, the story of the Great Flood. Historians estimate that these legends number into the hundreds. In 95% of the stories, the flood was worldwide; in 88%, a certain family was favored; in 70%, survival was by means of a boat; in 67% animals were also saved; in 66% the flood was due to the wickedness of man; in 66% the survivors had been forewarned; in 57% they ended up on a mountain; in 35% birds were sent out from the boat; and in 9% exactly eight people were spared. The reality of a global Great Flood event is supported by the universal nature of these accounts.

Let's me see. You're using science to back the Bible story, Care? Isn't it just a matter of faith?

Some believe in creationism and God's interventions on this kind of level, some don't believe in God or his interventions.

Let's me see. You're using science to back the Bible story, Care? Isn't it just a matter of faith?

Some believe in creationism and God's interventions on this kind of level, some don't believe in God or his interventions.

i have no desire to convince any of you in the story of Noah, sky.....I believe it, that's all that matters.

what i believe, is that there was a great Deluge...a great flood....and i believe Science has not ruled a great deluge out....

this is something you should not fear, because you think it might give validity to the noah story of the bible....

you are welcomed to disregard the noah story and go with the Chinese version of their great worlwide flood or the iranean/iraqi version of their flood with Gilgamesh or whichever one of the 600 stories out there that you choose...

my point is NOT to try to convice you of a noah and all that he stood for...

my point IS that i believe there was a great flood, that there was an Atlantis, a highly intelligent society or societies that existed, and we were wiped out of that knowledge and began from almost scratch again....

that's all sky.

care

Last edited:

i have no desire to convince any of you in the story of Noah, sky.....I believe it, that's all that matters.

what i believe, is that there was a great Deluge...a great flood....and i believe Science has not ruled a great deluge out....

this is something you should not fear, because you think it might give validity to the noah story of the bible....

you are welcomed to disregard the noah story and go with the Chinese version of their great worlwide flood or the iranean/iraqi version of their flood with Gilgamesh or whichever one of the 600 stories out there that you choose...

my point IS that i believe there was a great flood, that there was an Atlantis, a highly intelligent society or societies that existed, and we were wiped out of that knowledge and began from almost scratch again....

that's all sky.

care

There is evidence of a great flood. The rest of it--Atlantis and Noah's Ark--are great stories.

I like them both. If they help some people believe in God, and that makes them better people--it's fine with me.

Science and religion sometimes intersect. Physics and Buddhist meditation, for example, complement each other.

Here's the thing ... historical evidence is highly interpretive. This makes it very easy to interpret some fables, myths, legends, and even stories of fact to match almost anything ... if you try hard enough. While Sky made one good point, belief in religious myth does depend almost solely on faith, this does not give any interpretations of historical evidence any value, it also makes it impossible to show someone who lives by faith alone the truth in such matters.

The belief in Atlantas is FAR from universal ... and this "high tech" version is relatively new (Asimov and Lovecraft were the first to actually publish anything about this angle, though Lovecraft was much darker). To the people who originally created the myth (Greeks) advanced technology would have been steel-smithing ... as for intelligence, we have no way of knowing unless we actually find a place like the Atlantas legends mention. So that is all moot anyway and has little bearing on supporting another myth.

As for the "great floods", Ancient Egypt has a story of the Nile flooding, it didn't wipe out all life, however it did make the coastline of the Nile extremely fertile allowing them better resources along the river. Other than that they have no other flood stories. Oddly though even if they ALL did have such a story, and they even had fact to back those stories up, there is one huge flaw in using such stories to support this one myth. Time. None of the time lines come close matching up in synchronization to support them happening all at once. The Babylonians for instance are much older than all the others, and vanished long before the others did as well, they were the most advanced culture we know of in that era (they even put the Egyptians to shame in some areas) but they were far from enlightened in any way, also any tales about flood would have to be much older than other civilizations, thus outside of even their history and could in no way occur at the same time.

that's all sky.

care

There is evidence of a great flood. The rest of it--Atlantis and Noah's Ark--are great stories.

I like them both. If they help some people believe in God, and that makes them better people--it's fine with me.

Science and religion sometimes intersect. Physics and Buddhist meditation, for example, complement each other.

This myth about there being evidence is getting silly. There is no evidence supporting that the whole world flooded at one time, there are floods everywhere, tsunamis appear like floods to those further inland and would certainly appear to be great floods as well. So going by stories doesn't work. As for geological evidence, there is none to support a world wide flood anywhere, there are a lot of huge floods, all at different time periods and all caused by different things. To say they are all part of the same flood is to over simplify the truth ... a LOT.

To say all the "evidence" supports one world wide flood is like saying that since almost every state in the US has had blizzards this year and many just won't stop, that we are in another ice age again.

Forum List

Back