Do you believe in Noahs Ark?

Here's the thing ... historical evidence is highly interpretive. This makes it very easy to interpret some fables, myths, legends, and even stories of fact to match almost anything ... if you try hard enough. While Sky made one good point, belief in religious myth does depend almost solely on faith, this does not give any interpretations of historical evidence any value, it also makes it impossible to show someone who lives by faith alone the truth in such matters.

The belief in Atlantas is FAR from universal ... and this "high tech" version is relatively new (Asimov and Lovecraft were the first to actually publish anything about this angle, though Lovecraft was much darker). To the people who originally created the myth (Greeks) advanced technology would have been steel-smithing ... as for intelligence, we have no way of knowing unless we actually find a place like the Atlantas legends mention. So that is all moot anyway and has little bearing on supporting another myth.

As for the "great floods", Ancient Egypt has a story of the Nile flooding, it didn't wipe out all life, however it did make the coastline of the Nile extremely fertile allowing them better resources along the river. Other than that they have no other flood stories. Oddly though even if they ALL did have such a story, and they even had fact to back those stories up, there is one huge flaw in using such stories to support this one myth. Time. None of the time lines come close matching up in synchronization to support them happening all at once. The Babylonians for instance are much older than all the others, and vanished long before the others did as well, they were the most advanced culture we know of in that era (they even put the Egyptians to shame in some areas) but they were far from enlightened in any way, also any tales about flood would have to be much older than other civilizations, thus outside of even their history and could in no way occur at the same time.

we'll see....someday, i have faith in science coming thru on one great flood, wiping out most of our civilization...they are closer than you seem to think....from what i've been reading.

i have no desire to convince any of you in the story of Noah, sky.....I believe it, that's all that matters.

what i believe, is that there was a great Deluge...a great flood....and i believe Science has not ruled a great deluge out....

this is something you should not fear, because you think it might give validity to the noah story of the bible....

you are welcomed to disregard the noah story and go with the Chinese version of their great worlwide flood or the iranean/iraqi version of their flood with Gilgamesh or whichever one of the 600 stories out there that you choose...

my point is NOT to try to convice you of a noah and all that he stood for...

my point IS that i believe there was a great flood, that there was an Atlantis, a highly intelligent society or societies that existed, and we were wiped out of that knowledge and began from almost scratch again....

that's all sky.

care

There is evidence of a great flood. The rest of it--Atlantis and Noah's Ark--are great stories.

I like them both. If they help some people believe in God, and that makes them better people--it's fine with me.

Science and religion sometimes intersect. Physics and Buddhist meditation, for example, complement each other.

This myth about there being evidence is getting silly. There is no evidence supporting that the whole world flooded at one time, there are floods everywhere, tsunamis appear like floods to those further inland and would certainly appear to be great floods as well. So going by stories doesn't work. As for geological evidence, there is none to support a world wide flood anywhere, there are a lot of huge floods, all at different time periods and all caused by different things. To say they are all part of the same flood is to over simplify the truth ... a LOT.

it doesn't help me believe in God! I don't need help in that, He won me over a decade or 2 ago! :D

Homer wrote of Troy also, and they recently found remains of it...

so homer's writings of atlantis, can't be ruled out.... :)

You have to admit, Care, that beliefs sound silly to people who don't have them. I love mythology of all kinds. If there is some place with a part of Noah's Ark to look at, I'd go see it.

All the world's great religions have truth in them. It doesn't have to be literal to be true.

Last edited:
You have to admit, Care, that beliefs sound silly to people who don't have them.

it sounds silly because it is unimaginable, that the whole earth could have been involved in one humomgous flood...

almost all regions throughout the world have a great flood myth/story....so i don't know who you are talking about it sounding strange to?

Noah's Ark story that the world survived because he had a boat with two animals of every kind. C'mon.

Seems to me that if there are ancient myths in cultures throughout the world about a great flood that covered the earth, something had to have happened. You dont find myths in the old and new world without there being something to the myths.

Floods happen. Myths are magical explanations for natural phenomena. They are valuable as allegory and faith teaching story.

They point to spiritual truths--not scientific truth.

Seems to me that if there are ancient myths in cultures throughout the world about a great flood that covered the earth, something had to have happened. You dont find myths in the old and new world without there being something to the myths.

You mean like how western and eastern civilizations both made artwork depicting dragons?

Guess there must be something to it.

Some Tibetan Buddhist masters who are alive today say that they see dragons, and that they exist in the clouds above the oceans.

I don't believe it, myself. Telling stories is a way to explain Buddhist teachings. Dragons are considered nagas-spiritual beings.

Nope. Dragons and dinosaurs are not the same thing. Dinosaurs we have evidence of--bones etc.

Dragons are mythological.

Nope. Dragons and dinosaurs are not the same thing. Dinosaurs we have evidence of--bones etc.

Not to mention, dragons have wings and breath fire. Ive yet to hear of any dinosaurs that fit that description.

Not to mention, dragons have wings and breath fire. Ive yet to hear of any dinosaurs that fit that description.

If you wanted to take a scientific approach to figuring out if dragons existed or not is there any concrete evidence that they didn't? Or are we making an assumption because we don't have any proof?

in Christianity, the Dragon is Satan....it is symbolic

the Serpent is also symbolic for Satan

the Beast is symbolic for a manifestation of Satan, similar to God's manifestation in Christ....

in case anyone wanted to know! :D

Last edited:

If you wanted to take a scientific approach to figuring out if dragons existed or not is there any concrete evidence that they didn't? Or are we making an assumption because we don't have any proof?

The scientific approach would show that there has never been a dragon found, so there is no proof. The only thing we have is ancient stories about them, but the same can be said about Zues, Jesus and Odin.

...and Amanda, if you can figure out a way to prove when something "does not exist", please share it with the world.

Last edited:
What about Santa? I see him in the mall every December. Is that enough proof?

The scientific approach would show that there has never been a dragon found, so there is no proof. The only thing we have is ancient stories about them, but the same can be said about Zues, Jesus and Odin.

...and Amanda, if you can figure out a way to prove when something "does not exist", please share it with the world.

Aye the only way you can do that is if you prove that the environment can't allow it to exist. If it can exist, you're stuck.

Take bigfoot, it can exist in the forests now prove there isn't one somewhere. It's an impossible task.

Though I wonder if you actually believe in dragons or were trying to be a smart aleck.

Noah's Ark story that the world survived because he had a boat with two animals of every kind. C'mon.

Could we not do the same thing today with science? I'm not talking about actually putting two animals of ever kind on a boat but DNA. The Bible was written for people of that time to understand. If they would have got into modern biology and DNA well that would have have been gibberish to them.

Trying to convert someone is rather pointless. I believe in evolution but there are some holes in it where one could find the hand of God. It might surprise you to know the Catholic Church upholds many points to evolution but in the end it is a flawed theory. There should be 100's of species of men not just three basic races. Are we to believe that we out competed every other humanoid to the point of wiping them off the face of the Earth? There is plenty of room for the hand of God in every dearly held scientific theory.

Forum List

Back