CDZ Do you Believe Americans Would ever Turn in Our Guns?

Maybe the lesson they need to learn is that if they want to protect the country from tyranny, armed insurrection is not the best way. I'm hoping they will engage in the democratic process and take it back from the special interests and return it to the people of America.

I think they'll find that if no one has an assault rife, no one needs an assault rife.

The Democratic process has become so broken thst we are rapidly reaching the bullets over ballots tippong point.

American gun owners don't have assault weapons (unfortunatrly). We have semi-automatic copies of assault weapons. Our potential enemies (the US Military and Law Enforcement) do have real assault weapons.
Declaring war on America? I'll pass your threats on to the FBI. If you don't like America why don't you leave?

Maybe the lesson they need to learn is that if they want to protect the country from tyranny, armed insurrection is not the best way. I'm hoping they will engage in the democratic process and take it back from the special interests and return it to the people of America.

I think they'll find that if no one has an assault rife, no one needs an assault rife.

The Democratic process has become so broken thst we are rapidly reaching the bullets over ballots tippong point.

American gun owners don't have assault weapons (unfortunatrly). We have semi-automatic copies of assault weapons. Our potential enemies (the US Military and Law Enforcement) do have real assault weapons.
Declaring war on America? I'll pass your threats on to the FBI. If you don't like America why don't you leave?
You get right on that...

The FBI already has a 6" thick file on me, so don't waste your time. Besides, it's America that has declared war on PEOPLE like me, not the other way around.

As for why I stay- My family helped found this nation, so as far as I'm concerned if anyone is going to be leaving this country it shoild be you folks, not me.

As long as the Second Amendment remains in effect, the true criminals will be those in government who refuse to obey it; who act in any manner to violate the people's right to keep and bear arms.

Riiiight. Well regulated, it's right in there. Cons have come to really love ignoring the parts they don't like, and elevating the parts they do like to myth like status.

Like the bible.

It is the militia that is to be “well regulated”, not the people, nor our right to keep and bear arms. Government is absolutely forbidden to infringe this right. That is what the Second Amendment clearly says.

And “well regulated” does not mean what you seem to think that it means.

The important point is that in the Constitution, we have the nation's highest set of laws, to regulate and control the government. We give to government the power to enact and administer lower laws; and yet government refuses, in this case, to itself obey the higher law; and too many of us are foolishly willing to allow government to violate the law.

With 300 million guns, it is unlikely

Best we can hope for is limiting access to some guns and accessories and moving away from a gun culture
I agree. There is no practical ban solution for the hundreds of millions of guns and the 15,000,000 AR-15s that are already owned. There just is not. As for moving away from gun culture that is also tough since it is glorified in video shooter games, movies, TV and the internet. Guns are a power symbol that is attractive to disturbed young men. As I've posted before it has to a multi-front approach. Mental health and family counseling, better "red flag response", armed staff in the schools during school hours, Single point of entry and exit at the schools when feasible.

I don't see many teen aged males turning from shoot'em up video games and running out to buy their own arsenal

It is the old farts who are afraid of minorities, muslims and the zombie apocalypse who are building an arsenal

As long as the Second Amendment remains in effect, the true criminals will be those in government who refuse to obey it; who act in any manner to violate the people's right to keep and bear arms.

Riiiight. Well regulated, it's right in there. Cons have come to really love ignoring the parts they don't like, and elevating the parts they do like to myth like status.

Like the bible.

It is the militia that is to be “well regulated”, not the people, nor our right to keep and bear arms. Government is absolutely forbidden to infringe this right. That is what the Second Amendment clearly says.

And “well regulated” does not mean what you seem to think that it means.

The important point is that in the Constitution, we have the nation's highest set of laws, to regulate and control the government. We give to government the power to enact and administer lower laws; and yet government refuses, in this case, to itself obey the higher law; and too many of us are foolishly willing to allow government to violate the law.

How do you regulate a militia without regulating those who are in it?

I don't think Americans will turn in their guns....There are 300 million of them

But I think that when Dad and Grandpa die, their treasured gun collection will be passed down to children and grandchildren who really don't want them

But I think that when Dad and Grandpa die, their treasured gun collection will be passed down to children and grandchildren who really don't want them

That's why I suggest to such people thst they should write their wills to give thise guns to people who DO want them.

If it becomes law that you can't own certain guns then people will turn in their illegal weapons for the most part. The rest will be criminals.

And be clear, all these same people have no problem with gun control on fully automatic machine guns and the rest of the spectrum of weapons that civilians are PROHIBITED BY GOVERNMENT from owning. You never hear them bitch about all that. Why? Because gun manufacturers and the NRA know those are losing arguments.

All these people that have this snowflake belief that they're 'packing jus' in case the gubmint comes fer our guns' already fully accept and have no problem with massive gun control. They just get uptight about assault rifles now because they think every deer they see is 'Charlie' coming over the wire and needs to be stopped.

I still have a problem with the government having outlawed machine guns. It is wholly unconstitutional and idiotic. When the government did that, they could not cite one, single, solitary example of how a legally owned machine gun had ever been used in a crime.

Considering the horrible event in Florida this week, we've again heard all about the idea of banning some or all type of firearms from private ownership by private citizens. We've heard anecdotes about Scotland, England and Australia doing such things.

It's been talked about on tv, radio, and from the mouths of parents who have lost children, among many others. My wuedtion is this...

Do you really believe that the vast majority of American gun owners would turn in their guns if rewuired to?

It was tried in NY State a few years ago and something like 90-95% of the people chose to be felons rather than disarm. That included most of the police. The few who did turn in weapons mostly turned in old, broken down junk and stuff from people who are probably safer they don't shoot their own damn foot off with a gun if they ever tried using it.

If it becomes law that you can't own certain guns then people will turn in their illegal weapons for the most part. The rest will be criminals.

And be clear, all these same people have no problem with gun control on fully automatic machine guns and the rest of the spectrum of weapons that civilians are PROHIBITED BY GOVERNMENT from owning. You never hear them bitch about all that. Why? Because gun manufacturers and the NRA know those are losing arguments.

All these people that have this snowflake belief that they're 'packing jus' in case the gubmint comes fer our guns' already fully accept and have no problem with massive gun control. They just get uptight about assault rifles now because they think every deer they see is 'Charlie' coming over the wire and needs to be stopped.

I still have a problem with the government having outlawed machine guns. It is wholly unconstitutional and idiotic. When the government did that, they could not cite one, single, solitary example of how a legally owned machine gun had ever been used in a crime.

It was all prompted by the St. Valentines Massacre in somewhere around 1929(?) that was a gang killing done by the mob.

The FBI already has a 6" thick file on me, so don't waste your time. Besides, it's America that has declared war on PEOPLE like me, not the other way around.

As for why I stay- My family helped found this nation, so as far as I'm concerned if anyone is going to be leaving this country it shoild be you folks, not me.

Welcome to the fold. My great, great, great, great grandfather (I think I went back enough generations) was Arthur Middleton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and fought in the War of Independence. He was captured and spent a year in prison in Florida.

When you know things about your roots, you get closer as to what the original intent of the founders was really about. I've met several people who were loyal to the founding principles BEFORE they learned of their family history. Funny how that works out.

Since the government does not grant you the Right to keep and bear Arms, it is anyone that would support limitations / confiscations of firearms who ought to leave. The Right to keep and bear Arms pre-existed before the Constitution was written and is not within the de jure / lawful / constitutional authority of the federal government. They may have the power to take firearms, but they damn well lack the authority.

With 300 million guns, it is unlikely

Best we can hope for is limiting access to some guns and accessories and moving away from a gun culture

There is no "gun culture". There are hobbyists, and then there are those prepared for business. That's it.

Deal outright with crime and madness, and 90% of the problem goes away.

America was raised in a gun culture

Cowboys and Indians, hunting, fathers teaching sons how to shoot

Kids don't play cowboy anymore, hunting is down in this country, fewer fathers are shooting with their sons

So you're saying we need gun safety classes in schools. Good idea

It was all prompted by the St. Valentines Massacre in somewhere around 1929(?) that was a gang killing done by the mob.

The 1934 National Firearms Act was passed a month after outlaws Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow were killed in a hail of machine gun bullets.

It didn't actually ban machine guns ... It made it extremely difficult and expensive to own them.
It also required owners to be recorded on a National Registry (which was then eliminated with the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act).

No, the current ban is due to good old Ronnie Reagan. When I was a kid you could buy a full auto Thompson OR you could buy a semi - auto and legally convert it. You could go into a grocery store or drug store and buy copies of Firepower magazine and each month they would detail how to convert two weapons. I still have most of the copies I collected from back then.

Since the 1980s the government, through one process or another, has reduced the different kinds of weapons that are available. The numbers of AK rifles, Garands, M1As, Uzis, are dwindling. Uzis and AKs can no longer be imported - neither can Garands come home at the current time. Once they outlaw the AR, they will cut the numbers of rifles by at least a quarter.

It is just the process of outlawing firearms on the installment plan that you're seeing now.

Forum List

Back