Do the GOP candidates, particularly Trump, have the cross over appeal they need

Most of the dems I talk to like Trump a hell of a lot more than they like Hillary.

But my friends are mostly blue collar working stiffs...the high brow liberal elites probably love Hillary.

And it would appear that they also live in Missouri. 340px-Missouri_presidential_election_results_2012.svg.png

Crossover appeal means that the candidate can be viable in at least a few states that Obama won in 2012. None of them have shown that so far.

Mitt was moderate milktoast

as vanilla as a rep can be

and he lost

so the whole grabbing the middle is bullshit.

so how's about we look at the most upright pol that sticks to his beliefs and doesn't tell me what I want to hear for my vote?

that would be refreshing.
Can't win without the center as MR found out. The far right by itself cannot carry an election.

The "Far Right" plus conservative Democrats can, as Reagan showed.

and he lost

so how's about we look at the most upright pol that sticks to his beliefs and doesn't tell me what I want to hear for my vote?

Can't win without the center as MR found out. The far right by itself cannot carry an election.

Reagan couldn't win the nomination in today's GOP. His record on guns, immigration, spending, and abortion would automatically disqualify him.

and he lost

Reagan couldn't win the nomination in today's GOP. His record on guns, immigration, spending, and abortion would automatically disqualify him.

The World is a far different place. REagans' positions would be different.

In the 80s Reagan demonstrated that a conservative Republican could appeal to the Conservative Democrats and win.

Trumps Trade and Immigration policies are a natural to sell in the Rust Belt and Swing southern states.

and he lost

In the 80s Reagan demonstrated that a conservative Republican could appeal to the Conservative Democrats and win.

Trumps Trade and Immigration policies are a natural to sell in the Rust Belt and Swing southern states.

Lol. I don't mean rhetoric. I mean his record as governor of California.

Swing Southern states? In order to win the presidency, the GOP nominee needs a virtual sweep of swing states

swing.png
272 electoral votes

Trump has disqualified himself from winning Nevada and New Mexico (and probably Florida as well), so he's out.

and he lost

Swing Southern states? In order to win the presidency, the GOP nominee needs a virtual sweep of swing states

View attachment 59071
272 electoral votes

Trump has disqualified himself from winning Nevada and New Mexico (and probably Florida as well), so he's out.

His Trade and Immigration polices, imo are a natural sell in the RUST BELT AND southern swing states.

View attachment 59071
272 electoral votes

His Trade and Immigration polices, imo are a natural sell in the RUST BELT AND southern swing states.

Maybe Ohio... Pennsylvania? His rhetoric on immigration is more likely a liability in Florida. He's not going to do well we. Charlotte is the financial capital of the south. They are likely to view him with more suspicion than Hillary. Which brings us to another problem for Trump. A lot of higher income people won't vote for him, and these votes are necessary for a Republican win.

View attachment 59071
272 electoral votes

Maybe Ohio... Pennsylvania? His rhetoric on immigration is more likely a liability in Florida. He's not going to do well we. Charlotte is the financial capital of the south. They are likely to view him with more suspicion than Hillary. Which brings us to another problem for Trump. A lot of higher income people won't vote for him, and these votes are necessary for a Republican win.

You assume that Hispanics will identify more with the other HIspanics who want to come in and not worry about competetion themselves or whether that is in the interests of the nation they are now a part of.

I do not assume that.

I think a lot of higher income people WILL vote for him when they get the message that a better Working and MIddle Class is better for America.

Why are there threads like this, seriously? The OP is talking about the popular vote, and NOT the electoral college, which is a total fallacy in Presidential politics.

QUESTION---------> If California has 55 electoral votes, and a 20 million population, and 19,999,999 vote Democrat and one votes Republican, how many electoral votes does the Democrat get?

On the other hand, if 10,000,001 vote Democrat, and 9,999,999 vote Republican, how many electoral votes do the Democrats get? That is correct, the same amount!

So, the point is, each and every political strategist from both sides knows what they need. Now then, looking at the electoral map, what if the GOP takes Florida and Ohio this time around? What are the odds then that the GOP wins the Presidency?!?!?!

What if I told you that the GOP probably has Florida, and will name Kasich as their VP nominee? Is that possible? Oh yes on the 1st one that is probable, on the 2nd one only time will tell.

So you see, just as when election night hits, the popular vote is not as important as which states turn red and blue on the map. It is how probably one of our WORST GOP Presidents ever; GW won..........and how hopefully one of our BEST GOP Presidents ever will win.

Check it out, turn Florida and Ohio red, then tell me how the Democrats are in the drivers seat-)
Not to detract from your post, because it has good points, but if the 2012 results changed Fla, Ohio AND VA red, the dems still win.

Republicans will say they dont care about cross over appeal and more about their ideology. That is until they lose using that ideology then they are big mad and blame the media, or liberals, or the 300 million Americans, or the Weather etc.

Anything OTHER than their strategy is to blame

In fact when they lose they're brilliant idea is to double down on the conservatism by claiming their canidate wasnt conservative enough. More conservative is their solution to everything.

Nearly four years ago, the point was made that, "
WASHINGTON (AP) — The top two contenders for the Republican presidential nomination are accusing each other of benefiting from the support of crossover Democratic voters in states that allow anyone to participate in a party primary. // And both are correct. Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum have each worked to woo independent voters and conservative Democrats during campaign appearances. While it may be anathema to their hard-core GOP supporters, it's an acknowledgement of the kind of crossover appeal that any GOP nominee will need in November if he's to defeat President Barack Obama.
SPIN METER: GOP candidates hype crossover appeal

We know that Donald is not nearly as popular as was Mitt with the cross overs, and Mitt got his head handed to him. In fact, Donald has the least cross over appeal than his GOP rivals. Trump has the least cross-over appeal | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum Toro has already shown this and nothing disputes it.
Well, it is a bit ironic that the gop is going to run an old AWG, whose racism is barely disguised (and possibly even a total self-fabrication aimed at attracting a segment of voters) while the dems are going to run an old white statitst, with negatives that would doom anyone else from consideration, and whose brand name is at best stale and maybe beyond her shelf-life.

In fact when they lose they're brilliant idea is to double down on the conservatism by claiming their canidate wasnt conservative enough. More conservative is their solution to everything.
Well there you go. The meme is Mitt and McCain weren't conservative enough. For God's sake, both were to the right of the Big Quack on everything other than race. LOL

Most of the dems I talk to like Trump a hell of a lot more than they like Hillary.

But my friends are mostly blue collar working stiffs...the high brow liberal elites probably love Hillary.

And it would appear that they also live in Missouri.View attachment 59069

Crossover appeal means that the candidate can be viable in at least a few states that Obama won in 2012. None of them have shown that so far.

I've got friends all over the country. I lease my trucks to UPS for Christmas overflow...so I just got back from a month of a half of that. Those guys (and gals) are all union and Trump was the big talk in the politics department. And he was garnering a lot of support among them.

Conversely...I wore a "Bush 2004" hat to a union jobsite once...and they ran me off the property...literally.

Now, just so you don't get the wrong idea...I'm a pro-union Republican. My grandfather was a Pennsylvania coal miner. Without the union, I likely wouldn't be here today.

Coincidentally, Drudge is running this headline today from Politico.

SEIU chief says Trump can win

The head of the Service Employees International Union is worried about what Donald Trump is stirring up in her 2.1 million members, because she thinks he can win.

In an interview with David Axelrod out Thursday, Mary Kay Henry said her organization is going into “hyperdrive” to stand up against Trump because she sees him as a real threat.

Read more: SEIU chief says Trump can win
Ask JoeB131 ... he's hearing the same thing in Chicago.

Last edited:
Do the GOP candidates, particularly Trump, have the cross over appeal they need

Ahahaha do liberals who just got their asses handed to them in historic blow out election losses have the cross over appeal they need?

What dem crossed over to jake in 2012, 2008, 2004, 2000............
LBT does not make sense. The center elected Bush and Obama. The center will elect the next president, which won't be Trump because the center will not vote for him.

Such a stupid assertion: "The OP is talking about the popular vote, and NOT the electoral college, which is a total fallacy in Presidential politics." The ECV is the result of the votes, including crossover. The only way the GOP gets the cross over requires Kasich and Rubio. Otherwise, FL and OH will go Dem. Then where is the GOP? Trump can't get even 200 votes.

and he lost

Along with the center. Trump does not have the center.

Forum List

Back