Do the GOP candidates, particularly Trump, have the cross over appeal they need

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
Nearly four years ago, the point was made that, "
WASHINGTON (AP) — The top two contenders for the Republican presidential nomination are accusing each other of benefiting from the support of crossover Democratic voters in states that allow anyone to participate in a party primary. // And both are correct. Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum have each worked to woo independent voters and conservative Democrats during campaign appearances. While it may be anathema to their hard-core GOP supporters, it's an acknowledgement of the kind of crossover appeal that any GOP nominee will need in November if he's to defeat President Barack Obama.
SPIN METER: GOP candidates hype crossover appeal

We know that Donald is not nearly as popular as was Mitt with the cross overs, and Mitt got his head handed to him. In fact, Donald has the least cross over appeal than his GOP rivals. Trump has the least cross-over appeal | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum Toro has already shown this and nothing disputes it.

In short, no, none of the front runners do. Rubio and Cruz are simply a desperate attempt to attract Latino voters, but their policies won't cut it. Trump is a joke who will blow up if Republicans are dumb enough to nominate him. This is all why the GOP is so incredibly desperately going after Clinton - they don't have a candidate they feel is strong enough to beat her.

Nearly four years ago, the point was made that, "
WASHINGTON (AP) — The top two contenders for the Republican presidential nomination are accusing each other of benefiting from the support of crossover Democratic voters in states that allow anyone to participate in a party primary. // And both are correct. Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum have each worked to woo independent voters and conservative Democrats during campaign appearances. While it may be anathema to their hard-core GOP supporters, it's an acknowledgement of the kind of crossover appeal that any GOP nominee will need in November if he's to defeat President Barack Obama.
SPIN METER: GOP candidates hype crossover appeal

We know that Donald is not nearly as popular as was Mitt with the cross overs, and Mitt got his head handed to him. In fact, Donald has the least cross over appeal than his GOP rivals. Trump has the least cross-over appeal | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum Toro has already shown this and nothing disputes it.

Conservative Democrats, gads, do those even exist?

Trump I would say no but then again I thought he would have been out a long time ago so who knows I think Rubio would have the most cross over appeal.

ditto ...Trump has everything he isn't supposed to have. Who knows?

In short, no, none of the front runners do. Rubio and Cruz are simply a desperate attempt to attract Latino voters, but their policies won't cut it. Trump is a joke who will blow up if Republicans are dumb enough to nominate him. This is all why the GOP is so incredibly desperately going after Clinton - they don't have a candidate they feel is strong enough to beat her.
Correct.

Whomever the GOP nominee might be, he'll need a significant number of weak democrats in blue states to abandon the democratic nominee – and that isn't the likes of Trump or Cruz.

Will any of it really matter when the hildabeast dawns her orange jumpsuit? The purp walk will be glorious.

I'm afraid that this field of GOP candidates, like the last one--safe for John Huntsman--do not have crossover appeal.

I think it's mostly due to the fact they can't tell me what they would actually do on a number of issues. They complain about Obama at every turn, but what is their alternative in Syria? What is their alternative to repealing and replacing Obamacare?

I grew out of a family of Eisenhower/Reagan/Kemp/Lugar/Hagel brand of Republican. Sadly, these no longer exist in the Republican party. If you want anything like that today, you must support Obama or Clinton, or some other centrist type, just as the Eisenhower clan does now and much of the Reagan family.

The party has become so extreme in its opinion that government should either do nothing or be as bad as possible, that it's become very hard to vote Republican. I don't want more military spending, but that's what Republicans are for. I don't want more tax cuts for the rich, but that's what they're for. I want a real jobs bill but they're against jobs bills and figure more tax cuts will magically create jobs, when facts tell us that tax cuts are simply tax cuts.

I supported welfare reform under Clinton. I support reforming it more and turning it into a revolving door that gives job opportunities to people who want jobs, but that's no longer something Republicans actually care about. They figure if they just take welfare away, people will magically pay for schooling on a low-skill minimum wage job, which is impossible these days. Seems they care more about the talking point that 40%+ of the country pays no income taxes, but they offer exactly no solutions to the problem, one of which is a no-brainer: raising wages.

If you want common sense solutions, you need to find a corporate centrist Democrat who will involve the private sector as well as the public sector in a marriage to invest in job opportunities for people. We see with a Republican congress that they just don't care about that or any other common sense solution, and we see that with the GOP field of presidential candidates, who so far have only really given me empty rhetoric about how bad Obama is without offering a vision of their own.

I'm afraid that this field of GOP candidates, like the last one--safe for John Huntsman--do not have crossover appeal.

I think it's mostly due to the fact they can't tell me what they would actually do on a number of issues. They complain about Obama at every turn, but what is their alternative in Syria? What is their alternative to repealing and replacing Obamacare?

I grew out of a family of Eisenhower/Reagan/Kemp/Lugar/Hagel brand of Republican. Sadly, these no longer exist in the Republican party. If you want anything like that today, you must support Obama or Clinton, or some other centrist type, just as the Eisenhower clan does now and much of the Reagan family.

The party has become so extreme in its opinion that government should either do nothing or be as bad as possible, that it's become very hard to vote Republican. I don't want more military spending, but that's what Republicans are for. I don't want more tax cuts for the rich, but that's what they're for. I want a real jobs bill but they're against jobs bills and figure more tax cuts will magically create jobs, when facts tell us that tax cuts are simply tax cuts.

I supported welfare reform under Clinton. I support reforming it more and turning it into a revolving door that gives job opportunities to people who want jobs, but that's no longer something Republicans actually care about. They figure if they just take welfare away, people will magically pay for schooling on a low-skill minimum wage job, which is impossible these days. Seems they care more about the talking point that 40%+ of the country pays no income taxes, but they offer exactly no solutions to the problem, one of which is a no-brainer: raising wages.

If you want common sense solutions, you need to find a corporate centrist Democrat who will involve the private sector as well as the public sector in a marriage to invest in job opportunities for people. We see with a Republican congress that they just don't care about that or any other common sense solution, and we see that with the GOP field of presidential candidates, who so far have only really given me empty rhetoric about how bad Obama is without offering a vision of their own.

Sheesh ... and you have the nerve to call other members imbeciles...:lmao:

Mitt was moderate milktoast

as vanilla as a rep can be

and he lost

so the whole grabbing the middle is bullshit.

so how's about we look at the most upright pol that sticks to his beliefs and doesn't tell me what I want to hear for my vote?

that would be refreshing.

Mitt was moderate milktoast

as vanilla as a rep can be

and he lost

so the whole grabbing the middle is bullshit.

so how's about we look at the most upright pol that sticks to his beliefs and doesn't tell me what I want to hear for my vote?

that would be refreshing.
Can't win without the center as MR found out. The far right by itself cannot carry an election.

Why are there threads like this, seriously? The OP is talking about the popular vote, and NOT the electoral college, which is a total fallacy in Presidential politics.

QUESTION---------> If California has 55 electoral votes, and a 20 million population, and 19,999,999 vote Democrat and one votes Republican, how many electoral votes does the Democrat get?

On the other hand, if 10,000,001 vote Democrat, and 9,999,999 vote Republican, how many electoral votes do the Democrats get? That is correct, the same amount!

So, the point is, each and every political strategist from both sides knows what they need. Now then, looking at the electoral map, what if the GOP takes Florida and Ohio this time around? What are the odds then that the GOP wins the Presidency?!?!?!

What if I told you that the GOP probably has Florida, and will name Kasich as their VP nominee? Is that possible? Oh yes on the 1st one that is probable, on the 2nd one only time will tell.

So you see, just as when election night hits, the popular vote is not as important as which states turn red and blue on the map. It is how probably one of our WORST GOP Presidents ever; GW won..........and how hopefully one of our BEST GOP Presidents ever will win.

Check it out, turn Florida and Ohio red, then tell me how the Democrats are in the drivers seat-)

Forum List

Back